BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Wellcraft Owners
 V drive shaft packing? 94 Martinique 3200
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Putting together a Wellcraft Martinique Manual Topic Next Topic: 2600 Martinique Leaking Windshield  

charliekeri

RO# 30755

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  13:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1994 3200 Martinique 3200. Twin 330 V drives. Has anyone ever done this on their own? Any tips/tricks greatly appreciated. My mechanic is trying to tell me I might be better off converting to dripless packing which involves big $$$$
Is there ever a point where conventional packing will not work any longer? Shafts scored? etc.

Thanks

Homeport: Charlestown, MD

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  15:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YOu can get the shafts fixed if they are not scored too bad.
Bent shaft can mess up packing too.
There is no reason to switch, if the shaft and packing gland are in good shape.
How often do you change the packing?
It is not hard to do, but you shouldn't have to do it that often.
We have had our boat for 5 years. The Stbd. packing is the same packing when we got the boat. Tightened once in that time.
The Port packing has been tightened a few times and changed out once. When we pull her this winter, we are going to check the shaft.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

The_Mayor

RO# 19101

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  15:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you even get to the packing? I have a 2000 3300 martinique with big blocks. There is no way I would be able to get to them. Check this site out. He has some awesome step by step instructions on how to do the job. Good luck.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

Golfman25

RO# 1239

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  22:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would consider the gore dripless packing. Do it once and you're done for a while. Not significatly more expensive than the regular stuff. Good luck.

Homeport: Algonquin Go to Top of Page

charliekeri

RO# 30755

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  16:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have big blocks and getting to them is going to be very tough. I have never done it myself. I just want to find out what my options are besides lifting the engines and putting in dripless. It might be that my mechanic is just too big and doesnt want to deal with it the way it is.....Supposedly they were changed when I purchased the boat 3 years ago. Why they are leaking so bad and have gradually gotten worse as this past season went on I have no idea.

Homeport: Charlestown, MD Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Putting together a Wellcraft Martinique Manual Topic Next Topic: 2600 Martinique Leaking Windshield  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com