BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 38 ]  [ Total: 40 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 Looking at purchasing Mavxum 4100SCA
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2858 Topic Next Topic: Rendesvous  

Brian Pretty

RO# 29989

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  06:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am currently contemplating purchasing a Maxum 4100SCA. Any input would be appreciated. boat has twin cummins 330hp any comments on the engines also appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian

Homeport: Brunswick, GA

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  06:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are very good engines. Cheap to maintain with service widly available.

Proper prop loading and maintainance of the particular engines is very important.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  06:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a great looking boat I was on one last season but we were at dock so I can't speak for the handling but I like the layout very nice. Similar to the Cruisers 37 model I like the both.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  07:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 99 3700 which I kept 5 years, very well built boat. Didn't have a single issue with the boat besides the velvet vee drives ( a merc problem which affected many boats bet 99 and 01). Never even get a single leak inside!

These boats (3700 4100 ans 4600) were built by a different division of Maxum and were late on merged in the then new meridian brand. If you look at comstruction details they had many nicer features than the sea raybof that era.

There is a good owners site and yachtsurvey.com has a favorable review of the 4600

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  08:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no personal experience with this boat. But when I was boat shopping over the past couple of years, the 4100SCB was a real contender. They have a good reputation and can be had for a very reasonable price on a size/$ basis. I am not crazy about the look of the SCA which is obviously the aft cabin layout but that's just personal taste and clearly it has a ton of interior space. I liked the look of the SCB which is the more traditional bridge boat.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  08:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have no personal experience with this boat but have heard only good things about it & if I was looking for this size and style it would be a contender

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  09:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a contender when we bought last but we decided an aft cabin suited us better.

Bruce

370 Motoryacht

RO# 31959

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  09:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of time on a good friends 99 41 SCA with 330 Cummins, the engines run great in that boat.

Couple interesting quirks and there are more pros than cons here:

-The bowrail is flimsy at best, make sure you check all of the points where any rail meets the deck. On my friends when we looked at it the first time there were screws completely missing but no moisture found below. This wasn't the first one I have seen like that either and its easily fixed. Just make sure to check it, grab the rails everywhere and pull or shake them, try leaning on the bow rail.

-Have the engines checked themselves as part of a survey, this isn't a Cummins problem but I know of 2 4100's that have had some exhaust work done where the engine meets the exhaust tubing that exits the boat. The underwater exhaust is great but when you're running in a beam sea or the boat rolls over a little to one side you will hear a whaaaamp when the exhaust exits the water. Its something you get used to but the first time it happens you will think "What the heck just happened?"

-The front seat on the bridge is kind of strange to sit in, you kind of feel like you're on a ride at an amusement park because its so low and the bridge actually comes over your knees, not really an issue but people tend to not sit there whenever possible.

-They almost all have some sort of moderate moisture in one or two of the bulkheads, keep the bilges dry and it shouldn't migrate any further. I have had my friend keep his dry and you can see that the bulkheads are drying themselves out. This is only as long as they aren't rotted (which I haven't heard of happening yet).

-Don't try to open the refrigerator door while underway! I know from personal experience that EVERYTHING slides to the forward part of the fridge and you will have a mess on your hands if you don't really plan for it.

Thats all I can think of right now but here are some PROS:

-The layout is great! Forward queen with its own head and stall shower, split combination in the aft cabin, huge salon that integrates well with the dinette.

-Cummins 330B's, great Westerbeke Gen.

-Wing Doors on the aft deck.

-The boat handles rough water pretty well, not real great in a following sea but what aft cabin is?

-Engine access is ok.

It's a great boat, its one of the few when they say its a 41 it really is a 41. The boat is almost identical in size to my 370 Carver but laid out quite a bit different. The 41 Maxum is very close to a Carver 355/356 layout on steroids.

Overall not very many negatives and a lot of positives come from the 4100 SCA, I know quite a few happy owners!

1994 Carver 370 Motor Yacht
Twin 350 H.P. 454 Crusader Engines

Edited by - 370 Motoryacht on Dec 23 2010 09:29:33

Homeport: MI Go to Top of Page

370 Motoryacht

RO# 31959

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  09:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

It was a contender when we bought last but we decided an aft cabin suited us better.

41 SCA is an Aft Cabin.

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  11:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I was thinking of another Maxim then.

Bruce

370 Motoryacht

RO# 31959

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  12:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SCA = Aft Cabin / SCB = Sedan Bridge / SCR = Express

hecardo

RO# 30722

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  22:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian

I just purchased a 2000 4100 SCA last July.

I did a lot of research before I purchased the boat
The boat can have a few issues depending on how it is setup.
I have the Cummins 330B's, Westerbeke Gen
The gelcoat has some cracking at different points.
The hull incorporates a small keel it really helps when you are backing into a slip.

I hired a good surveyor and I was present during the process.
The boat is solid no moister issues. But he missed a broken motor mount. My mechanic found it after I bought the boat.

I was concerned about what maintenance I could not find out much form the previous owner. The engines had 650 hours on them I was able to piece together a history. I adjusted my offer based on the survey findings.

After we purchased the boat we used it for several months then had it pulled for service. full maintenance preformed including rebuild the circulating pumps they needed it.
all new filters and hoses fluids oil and antifreeze head gaskets and so on.

New bottom and gelcoat repair and a full buff out. The props where sent off for to be rebalanced. We had a new Bimini made and all the isinglass zippers replaced and adjusted.

My boat is a fresh water boat located in the midwest. We boat on a lake so the water is calm.

The one thing that you need to keep an eye on is things the previous owners may have done or not done.

The factory refrigerator died and was replaced with a standard house hold unit by the previous owner. We like the size and it looks ok but it needs A/C to run. Also he install a a lot of A/V components still trying to get it sorted out.

The JVC radio on the bridge is a flexible unit I was concerned about it breaking and having to do a lot of rewiring. I was able to pick a new unit up off the net as a backup just in case.

We have had repeated issues with the windless DC breaker popping a lot when trying to bring the anchor up. I am still trying to get it replaced and the motor mount replaced.

As with anything 10 years old it's going to need love every year.

I hope this helps.

Hecardo

Homeport: MO Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 2858 Topic Next Topic: Rendesvous  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com