BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 It's COLD, but ...
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Spent a really nice night in Topic Next Topic: sidewinder  (videos)  

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  22:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... the early mornings are sure pretty on a clear day.

View from the deck this morning- south across the Strait of Georgia to Northumberland Channel and Nanaimo.

- SSE to Merry Island across Halfmoon Bay.

-SE beyond Merry Island, picking up Saltspring Island, behind Valdes Island and Galiano Island in the Gulf Islands.

Happy New Year, everyone. Hope you have a great boating year in 2011.

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC

NewMoon

RO# 29151

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  07:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year, OS. Very nice view!

Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"

Homeport: Holladay, UT Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  14:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures, Do I see Russia off in the distance:)

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  16:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's either Hawaii or the Aleutians, Dave ... or ... maybe one (or both) of us has our geography a leetle out of sync.

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  23:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

... the early evenings can be nice on a clear day as well.

Sunset on New Year's Day 2011 from the deck in Halfmoon Bay on the north shore of the Strait of Georgia. The view is directly south, and about 20-22 nm to Nanaimo and Vancouver Island.

OS

oldfishboat

RO# 24623

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  08:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice view there OS.

Not hard on the eyes at all.

Oldfishboat guy

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  09:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this your new place OS ? The view is fantastic, what a great place to bar b q , enjoy a drink and stare out at the water .

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  18:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad:

Actually, this is where we have lived for the last 17 years. Our new home in West Sechelt is to be ready for us on Feb. 25. It would be really nice to be moved and settled in by the end of March, so I can take off for the summer by April 2 (I don't wanna' leave on April 1. and have everybody on the shore yellin', "Look at that Old_Fool!").

I am really going to miss the view and the easy water access. A row or kayak paddle from your front yard is a kinda' nice luxury.

I am not going to miss the stairways connecting the 17 different levels of the house. New place is all on one level. Gettin' old(er).

This is the house about halfway up the hill as seen from a neighbour's deck across the bay.

The nice walkway leads down to the marine railway and the wharf.

No through road. We're the last house on the west, just deer and bear from there.

OS

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  17:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like a great place OS, I hear ya about all the stairs, if we ever relocate a one level house will be desirable. My wife and I did some driving around today checking out homes, so far nothing of interest. I'm working on my wife to let me retire and for her to work, she can be my sugar momma.:-)

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  21:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad:

"I'm working on my wife to let me retire and for her to work, she can be my sugar momma.:-)"

Uh huh!

Let me know how that turns out, O.K.? ...

Be sure to record all the conversations on this subject, ... just on the outside chance it works. Maybe we can get rich marketing this to the over 50 guys with the same bright idea. ... just on the outside chance it works.

I'm in for 10% ... of the gross!

OS

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  16:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad, Just do what I did a buy a view lot in Anacortes. Then build the home of your dreams when you retire.

Dave

Edited by - Wingspar on Jan 11 2011 16:27:16

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  22:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice view, Dave!

We have moved Stalwyn from Secret Cove to Porpoise Bay, at the south end on Sechelt Inlet. Here's a look at the view north, from the end float of the new marina, down the Inlet towards Sechelt Rapids at the entrance.

This is much nearer to our new home (they have poured the concrete!) and presents the challenges of passing through the Sechelt Rapids (the fastest salt water rapids in North America!) about 18nm to the north, every time you wanna' go somewhere, and also of interpreting the weather forecast ... there is no forecast for Sechelt Inlet, so you either go with the Strait of Georgia forecast, or for the Howe Sound forecast, but only if it is representative of the coastal inlets with respect to up inlet/down inlet wind directions. I'll let you know how well I do after a year or so of guessing!

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Jan 12 2011 07:03:49

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  18:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OS: Is the Sechelt Rapids located near the skookumchuck narrows? If so, you have my respect for planning on running those regularly. I went thru those some years ago with my FIL on a 34 Tolly and never will forget that ride.

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  21:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill:

If you want to experience Sechelt Rapids at the maximum current velocities, do so from North Point on the ebb current from Sechelt Inlet, and from Roland Point on the flood current into Sechelt Inlet. You can park your boat at Egmont Marina, have a burger and beer at the Backeddy Pub, and walk out to North Point or Roland Point. Get out to the view points about an hour early if you can, When you watch the "buildup" it adds to your appreciation of the phenomenon.

Use ONLY Canadian Hydrographic Service current Tables to determine the times of slack or maximum current velocity. DO NOT use NOAA data for Seechelt (sic) Rapids. NOAA couldn't even spell it correctly.

Skookumchuck Narrows is the proper name for the comparatively benign waterway to the north of Sechelt Rapids. "The Skookumchuck" is the local name for the Sechelt Rapids.

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Jan 12 2011 21:07:16

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill:

Here's a video of a kayaker in the flood current off Roland Point ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfH97sL96Rs

You can spend a couple of hours watching them, so be sure to bring beer.

OS

oldfishboat

RO# 24623

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  11:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice spots OS. Weather be a little different on the inside.
That view over the strait is awsome, you going to miss that ?

The rapids can be a blast in a solid high powered nimble boat.

Oldfishboat guy

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  22:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oldfishboat:

"Nice spots OS. Weather be a little different on the inside."

Part of the fascination of boating on our coast is definitely the wonderment that comes with guessing wrong about the weather you are going to find when you turn the next bend, or head up the inlet from your main route.

"That view over the strait is awsome, you going to miss that ?"

Oh, .... yeah!

But ... I moved storage shelving from the bottom level of the house to the highest level (the garage) up 7 different staircases today ... and I am definitely going to miss THAT, too!

The concrete has been poured at the new house, so we will probably get to move in this year,
... .

Everything is on one level. The appearance will be a mirror image of the house opposite, but we have some additional area. The view ... isn't! But there is a park area on elevated ground about 2 blocks away, which gives a great view of the Strait, even if it is a fair bit north of the near shore.

"The rapids can be a blast in a solid high powered nimble boat. "

The rapids from the Strait of Georgia to Johnston Strait are defintely a blast. The B.C. waterways offer some real boating challenges, and I haven't tired of them yet. Combined with all the neat lagoons on the coast, they keep me pretty busy, and pretty happy every summer, Willy.

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Jan 15 2011 09:50:51

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  10:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how fast is that current?

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  13:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce:

"how fast is that current?"

This morning at 1:40 am, the flood was 10.3 kt, and the forecast for the ebb at 6:52 pm is 11.5 kt. In between it is going to be pretty "ho-hum" today, with very small tide changes o/s of Sechelt Inlet, (which is really a really big lagoon).

For Mon. Jan 17, both ebb and flood are forecast in excess of 13 knots, and Wed. Jan.19 the forecast for the flood is 14.3 kt. with
the late evening ebb at 15.0 kt.

Canadian Tide and Current Tables, the ONLY reference one should use for this area, lists maximum rate for the flood at 16.5 kt, and for the ebb at 16.0 kt. The ebb at 14+ kt. is really something to watch. The whirlpools are humungous and the centers are moving at the 14+ kt.

The kayakers generally start to haul out at Roland Point when the flood hits 14 kt. Not many of them can stay on top of the standing wave at that current velocity.

One of the neat tricks is for two or three guys to get up on the standing wave, and then move forward together (side by side) onto the upcoming smooth surface, so that the pull of gravity is maintaining them in a stationary position. Then they all lean forward, tuck their paddles under their chins, and lock hands, so the kayaks are side by side.
When one of 'em goes up and over and backwards, they ALL go! Great to watch ... from the shore.

OS

oldfishboat

RO# 24623

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  14:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dayum hard to tell where the new place is located by the pic. I thought this was the sunshine coast , I mean where is that sun.

One level living, going ta be different for you kids.

Skookumchuck, I realy wanted to ride my Jet Ski there. Never made it however or out at long beach either. Probably a good thing too. I just know it be painfull.

Oldfishboat guy

Previous Topic: Spent a really nice night in Topic Next Topic: sidewinder  (videos)  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com