boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 19 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: Lancer ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Bayliner 3270..I am afraid to even post this.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: if youre anchored... turn off your nav lights! Topic Next Topic: Grouper Sandwich Fort Myers FL  

finz2right

RO# 16622

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  09:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at a pretty amazing deal on a freshwater (inland lake) 1987 Bayliner 3270...honestly...I've never been a fan of Bayliners, but seeing this...the boat "feels" remarkably good, crawling through the bilge...I didn't see anything scary on the stringers,tanks or floors and the boat looks to be well kept by one owner that has recently fallen ill.

Just curious if anyone has any compelling arguments against them? We've outgrown my poor old Chris Craft 281 Cat...time for somethin' a lil bigger and the layout in the boat just seems to work.
"The Weather is Here....Wish you were Beautiful.."

Homeport: Lake Texoma, Texas

psalzer

RO# 4570

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  09:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have owned 2 Bayliners .. a 2002 Trophy bought new and a 2858 bought used .. never a problem with either. The Trophy was as good or better than the 20' Wellcraft I had. The 2858 has been very comfortable, lots of storage ... I would not have aproblem buying another.

Pete

Homeport: Fayetteville, Ga Go to Top of Page

manticore999

RO# 17103

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  09:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't own one, but would never rule one out. Get a survey and if things check out then go for it!

I'm not afraid to die. I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it.

Homeport: Oakley, CA Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  10:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My very first boat was a new 1985 2550 and while an entry level boat it was Pretty well built and I had very few issues

That said by the late 80s byliner quality generally went down... 87 is kind of in between. If it has volvos I d say go for it but if the 87 already had OMCs I d be a little more concerned

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

VTBoater

RO# 30718

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  10:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot has been said here about the bigger bayliners being decent boats. They seem to be holding up well. I would be concerned about the size of the interior personally. I looked at lots of photos of them before buying a Mainship 31 sedan as my last boat. The size of the staterooms and available floor space in the salon looks tight to me in that 3270.
I thought a 31 would be plenty big, but really wanted an aft cabin with a covered aft deck and other amenities, so moved up in size again.
Be sure it is big enough for your needs.

1988 Silverton 37 MY

Homeport: Colchester, VT Go to Top of Page

finz2right

RO# 16622

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  10:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that makes me feel better then...I have never been a bay-basher, but never been a b-liner lover either. The boat fits in my slip, the layout is actually what we liked with the coffin berth tucked below the salon floor.

I'm not shopping for another boat as the Chris Craft has been a labor of love but with the kids, dog and everyone liking being on the water every weekend...for a deal like this, I think I probobly better go ahead and do it.

Yeah, it's got volvos...I will never own another OMC sterndrive product again..... ever.

Homeport: Lake Texoma, Texas Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  10:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At that age owner maintenance and use will have a lot to do with your happiness with it. If the old owner didnít think he had to smash through big waves and you feel the same then if it isnít broken by now it probably wont ever. A good survey will improve your confidence.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Harlan

RO# 15327

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  10:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fact that it still floats and looks good speaks volumes. Go for it.

First they told them - "you don't need your guns, then they told them, get on the train".

Homeport: Shreveport,LA Go to Top of Page

Captain Buddha

RO# 25437

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  10:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
finz - good to see you posting again!

Brad

"The water is calling."

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Freddy

RO# 6704

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  11:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

According to Parker's "Power Boat Guide" over 3,200 32xx series boats were built! They are a great boat with the right power.

There is a Bayliner Owners Club site that would have all the specs (and any problems) you may want to see. Friendly crowd too.

Our 2502, 3350, 1950 and 3888 Bays were good boats. Note the larger Bays are built in different plants than the entry level runabouts.

Get a mechanic survey and enjoy the boat!

Fred

You can tell the character of a man by the way he treats those who can't help him."

Homeport: Lake Texoma, Richland Chambers Reservoir Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  11:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check if it has long skinny windows, I remember they had a tendency to leak, on different Mfgs.

A boat that old, as said, probably already had it's issues delt with.

Personally, having had problems with water damage to stringers/transom in searays, drill a few test holes to check for wet wood.

All those entry level boats had problems. A survey should be able to detect poor wet-out in fiberglass. There are 'horror stories' about those. Deck/hull joint(water intrusion) is another area of concern on most boats, but again a survey and the age of the boat should give signs.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

finz2right

RO# 16622

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  12:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
brad, drop me an email.... randrewevansrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tyahoo.com

Homeport: Lake Texoma, Texas Go to Top of Page

Mike Dzurko

RO# 11395

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  13:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've owned two Bayliners, an 86 and an 88 and they both were for the most part solid and dependable. The fact that the one you're looking at is fresh water is a plus, as is the Volvo power.

Carver 638 Santego

Homeport: La Crosse, WI Go to Top of Page

SLW

RO# 2186

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  13:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 3270 is a "Motoryacht" - Bayliner's Sedan Bridge with a pronounced sheerline. No outdrives, no skinny windows.

It doesn't take long to see where Bayliner cut costs, but they have a decent following, and it's not hard to find them in the hands of caring owners. Many of those owners have upgraded the cosmetic weak spots and are enjoying fine boats.

Homeport: Cedar Pt, Oh / Mi / Miami Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  14:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those big Bayliners from that era are pretty nice boats. If you get a good survey then I wouldn't hesitate.

87 Sea Ray, 30' Sundancer
Merri Mack
MMSI #338122779
95 Eastern 22'
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

DaveS

RO# 433

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  16:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 3270 was the smallest of the Motoryacht line. Most were powered by Hino (Toyota) marinized diesels. Some had twin 5.7 block GM gas power. The Hino's were considered pretty much bullet proof and very economical to operate.

I owned 2 Bayliners. Both were 2655 cruisers.

The 98 took us to Bimini 5 times. Looked new when I sold it in 2007.

If the boat has been well looked after and surveys well, suits your needs etc. I would go for it.

DaveS

Homeport: Florida Go to Top of Page

chriscraft67

RO# 12563

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  17:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The couple who dock next to me have a Bay 3270 and not only enjoy going places but live on it virtually the entire summer. Nice boat with lots of space and pretty sharp looking underway. This isn't a fast boat given its weight and power.

I did help change the exhaust manifolds and it was a bear to do. The inside manifolds are easy but the outside pair really have very, very little clearance. It took us a weekend when it normally takes a few hours. Look carefully at the cabin sole in the galley to make sure it is sound.

Bill

Homeport: Norwich, CT Go to Top of Page

Veebyes

RO# 11224

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  17:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the 3270 is the convertable styled one I'll jump in. Up front I have never been a fan of Bayliner so when a very good friend announced back around 1987 that he had purchased a new 32' Bayliner I bit my tongue & congratulated him.

I had a good going over of that boat & hated to admit that is was not half bad at all. It had a pair of Hino diesels which gave it fair performance. It was built a little light here & there but for coastal cruising IMO it was pretty good bang for the buck.

Homeport: Bermuda Go to Top of Page

dancerscap

RO# 20150

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  22:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From 82 to 86 I worked for a Bayliner dealer. The 3270 was one of the nicest built in my ntbh opinion.. I believe the engines may have been Hino diesels. At that time they were switching between Volvos and Hino. I know the 3870 had Hinies.I wanted one then, I have a a 340 Sundancer and would trade it for a B liner 3270 in a heart beat. I always liked that layout as noted with the coffin berth below. If you have kids the coffin berth made a great playpen. The windows are large and the view is great. If it's been taken care of you won't be disappointed.

Homeport: Hudson,Fl. Go to Top of Page

mrknowitall

RO# 4979

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  09:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Volvo gas engines are rated at about 110-120 hp. I have run this model and found that the low hp combined with the prop pocket design makes it a little challenging in tight quarters as you need to use the throttles or you don't get enough thrust. I guess you'd use to it. I would look for cabin leaks, as the fly bridge is supported by the cabin window frame. I like the floor plan. Good luck

Homeport: Sequim Bay, WA Go to Top of Page

Cessna210g

RO# 20332

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  10:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the 1986 3270 the Volvo gas engines are 5.0 there are rated to 225 HP. Check the flybridge deck for any soft spots. Also check the brackets for the swim platform mine were in bad shape when I bought mine.

"The way to be safe is never to be secure" --- Benjamin Franklin

Tim

Homeport: East Patchogue, NY Go to Top of Page

night moves

RO# 29543

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  21:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the looks and the layout of the 3270 and the much bigger 3888. My friend has a mid 80's 3270, he's had the boat for many years. He really likes the boat, but it has had some problems. On breezy days the prop pockets design does make it hard to dock, so he'll throttle up some. The Volvo's (good chevy motors)are underpowered, so he just motors around slow. The cabin window tracks leak, but we found new tracks and replaced them. The biggest problem was a leaking gas tank, which he heard was a common problem. They are aluminum tanks that are strapped down with staples under the tank. A staple wore a hole in the tank, everything comes out to get those out... He replaced them. New cabin lights, new head, new carpet and the list goes on, can you tell the boat's now for sale. He's now looking for a land yacht(?) Want a nice "replaced everything" boat, it's in Minnesota.

Homeport: Redwing, MN Go to Top of Page

AbsoLoot

RO# 3617

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  21:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a 1989 Bayliner 3288 for four years and loved the boat, but moved to something bigger as our son got older. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one if the size and layout fit your needs. A couple of things to look for:
- the swim step brackets bolt thru the transom and water can sometimes get in around the fasteners resulting in rot to the transom
- There is a cross-member between the main stringers just aft of the engines. For some reason Bayliner chose to glass the this piece into the raw wood of the stringers and to coat the front, back and top but left the bottom of the wood raw. If the water should ever get deep in the bilger that wood can wick up the moisture and start to rot. The rot can spread to the main stringers since it was glassed to the raw wood.
- check the little bilge down in the coffin berth. The fresh water tanks were aluminum in those days and if they started leaking, you would get water in that bilge. Since were fresh water boaters, I had to add dye to the fresh water to determine where the water was coming from
- that vintage Bayliner came with either diesel 150 HP Hinos or gasoline 225 HP US marine engines (marinized Chevy 305's) Although it was counter-intuitive to me, the smaller HP Hinos pushed the boats at higher comfortable cruising speed (~17kts) where the gas engines would yield a higher top speed.

Good luck with the new boat, I think you're going to love it

Blue Skies,
Dave

As light fades, vision increases
Blind people have vision!

Homeport: California Delta & SF Bay Go to Top of Page

Northern Lights

RO# 32024

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  23:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a 1985 3270 with the 225 volvos & the Volvo ms3c transmissions. We loved the boat very comfortable for a 32' boat. Had 2 A/C reverse cycle units that kept the boat comfortable on the hottest days. The galley is small but but serves the purpose, the refridgerator was a pain to get things off the bottom shelf. Thru the years they were powered by 305 GMs, Hinos in 110, 135, & 150 HP. A few had GM v6s 165 HP, Volvo 140 HP gas & 90 HP Nissan diesels. The Hino would be my choice, the 110 is NA & the 135 & 150 are turbo charged. Check the fuel & water tanks for leaks & soft spots on the bridge, get a hull survey & engine survey if everything checks out good you'll have a great boat. Mine was a fresh water boat kept in a covered slip and never had any problems, sold for $22,500.00 a year ago. Good luck

Northern Lights
Bayliner 3870

Homeport: Kansas Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: if youre anchored... turn off your nav lights! Topic Next Topic: Grouper Sandwich Fort Myers FL  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 1.12 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com