BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: 56Fifth ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Chaparral Owners
 Opinion on 240 Sig Cuddy Cabin
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Where are you? Topic Next Topic: opinions on 86 chaparral  

Capt Skup

RO# 11842

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  20:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been a long time since I posted on Boatered but here goes. I had to sell my much beloved 1999 SeaRay 215 Express Cruiser due to death in family. Back on my feet now and shopping for a nice, lightly used quality boat. Found a 2004 Chaparral 240 Sig with 125 hours on the Volvo Penta 5.0 duo prop. Boat looks in great shape, lift kept and covered. Optioned with shore power, a/c-heat, fridge, wet bath, hot water heater, microwave, etc.... Asking $35,900. My concern. Lots of stuff on a short hull. Second berth, heavy options. Will 260 hp be enough to get it out of the hole and up on plane? Cockpit floor sure looks pretty high up there, long way to waterline. Kind of compact. The only downside of our great 215Ec was ability to carry friends. Cockpit could only accomodate maybe 6 people. Looked at Sundecks, much more room same hull length, but no foul weather protection. Guess it is a tradeoof. Coming from a long time SeaRay owner, will I be disappointed in Chaparral quality? Solid hull, no chopped fiberglass, no cheap filler, solid hull deck joint????

Homeport:

littlebookworm

RO# 27413

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  22:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a 2000 Sig 240 with a Mercruiser 5.0 EFI. Though we've only had it one season, we've found the power more than enough to quickly get on plane. Your engine is more powerful so I think you'll be fine. If you want a great deal of info and experience-based advance, shoot over to the Chaparral Owners Forum on Yahoo. Chaparrals are well-built, solid boats. The only negative in design I've found so far is that the cabin table isn't built for average people. It's built for size zero to two people. We turn it around to get in easily. We do love our boat, however. It's rides beautifully and handles well. Get a survey before you buy; it's money well-spent. See you on the forum. Look for Lady M. Hy

Homeport: New Rochelle, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Where are you? Topic Next Topic: opinions on 86 chaparral  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com