BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 8 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: luna sea ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Inside passage Help?
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: To Old Salt and ever one at BoaterEd Topic Next Topic: Spent a really nice night in  

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  14:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This July we would like to try a different way to get to Klemtu,BC via Jackson Passage from Bella Bella,BC.
I would like to try 3 new passage ways to me.

Balagny Passage N52 16.518 W128 21.645 Chart Ca 3710 (D). Between Watch Island and Don Peninsula.

Reid Passage N52 17.783 W128 22.186 Chart Ca 3710 (D) Cecila Island and Don Peninsula

Lady Trutch Passage N52 21.408 W128 20.400 Chart Ca 3710 (D)

My wife, dog and I will be in a 28 ft 8.5 wide North River Volvo diesel.
Any information on these 3 passages would be appreciated.

JGSONS2
May your keel stay wet and your seat stay dry

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  15:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listen to the guys that sell those sneakers ... and
JUST DO IT!

There is a NEW CHS chart (issued Apr. 2008) for this area. Chart 3941 will help you out a lot. I wouldn't trust a chartplotter here. Chart 3710 is also very useful here for Reid Passage and Balagny Passage detail.

Check your chart depths for Balagny Passage and go on the last part of a rising tide. The passage has some very sharp right angle turns.

Reid Passage is pretty straightforward if you are aware that the flood AND the ebb both flow North. Go figure.

Lady Trutch Passage cuts a little time off your trip, and you don't have to wrestle with Perceval Narrows if you are running against an ebb tide in Mathieson Channel. I took this early in a rising tide so I could actually get a look at the charted rocks and reefs to check their position and extension into the waterway on the new chart 3941.

I have anchored at Blair Inlet, to the East of Balagny Passage; Boat Inlet (high water entry and exit required),at the North end of Reid Passage; and Lambard Inlet East of Lady Trutch Passage and entered from the North end of Reid Passage. All very nice and quiet, and super kayaking country.

You may find some pics of interest in the "Stalwyn" posts in this Inside Passage Forum.

If you need/want more detail, let me know, and I will dig out my logs.

Have fun,

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  15:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank Old Salt you were the main reason I joined this form. I did not know about the new chart
Thanks again jgsons2

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  15:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jgsons2:

The IP 2010 "Stalwyn" thread does have some pics which may be of interest to you.

The IP 2009 has some pics and tracks on Nobeltec CHS charts which may help.

The IP 2007 has a few pics.

Are you boating in this New Bella Bella\Shearwater to Klemtu area regularly?

OS

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  17:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I start out of Port hardy and just head north about ever 3 to 4 years. Now that I am retired i will do it more often and longer jgsons2

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  18:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" ... Now that I am retired i will do it more often and longer ... "

"Atta Boy!!"

Retirement and Boating B.C. waters go together really well.

OS

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  20:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"....Retirement and Boating B.C. waters go together really well...."

I'm counting the days. April 2012 and then I become one of those that "...do it more often and longer..." :)

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  22:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill nice fishing boat. My daughter in-law is from Oak Harbor. Years ago we would go to Jim's and John's about a mile below the ferry dock for crab and salmon fishing.
Keep your line wet and tangle free

JGSONS2

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  18:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I've turned it into a real fishing boat for those trips to the west side for the elusive salmon. Had real good luck the past 2 years and enjoyed some of BC's finest fishing. I look forward someday to trips up north in the waters you have traveled. Hopefully it will be soon for me.

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: To Old Salt and ever one at BoaterEd Topic Next Topic: Spent a really nice night in  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com