boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 17 | Guests: 146 ]  [ Total: 163 ]  [ Newest Member: mark h bischoff ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Torsion vs spring axle boat trailer
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Inflatable boat repair kit Topic Next Topic: This should be a no brainer, but Ill ask . . . .  

Hyperfishing

RO# 3223

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  17:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, torsion makes sense in terms of not stressing the hull, but I am concerned that an axle failure is much more likely, and hugely difficult to deal with on a torsion trailer.

Am I all wet on this or not? Plus, I like the idea that the spring axle trailer is much cheaper. Trailer rides would be north and south with the seasons, mainly highway use. Likely will store boat on the trailer also, on bunk beds.

Boat would be my 30 Sonic with twin I/Os, never trailered it before.
Chris

Edited by - Hyperfishing on Feb 27 2011 17:45:13

Homeport: Sand Bar, Great South Bay

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  19:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not an authority on it but the torsion axles are pretty tough. If anything fails it probably won't be the torsion part.

Also you can get a lower height with torsion axles. Might make launching easier and possibly save on gas.

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

dvan

RO# 30258

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  19:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pulled a 26'er with spring (2)axles and now I pull a 28'er (3) axle with torsion axles. I dont know if its because of the third axle, but its a much smoother ride. I was told that the torsion axles should have 80% load on them for the best ride. I learned that the hard way. I pulled the trailer by itself and it was bouncing around a lot. It shock so much it loosened up the set bolts that hold the side guides and I about lost them going down the road.

Homeport: CA delta Go to Top of Page

Hyperfishing

RO# 3223

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  19:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, always something new to learn here. Dvan, I can see frequently towing long distances sans boat, so your information pretty much kills the torsion trailer. Thanks Much!

Chris

Homeport: Sand Bar, Great South Bay Go to Top of Page

mandm1200

RO# 29581

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  19:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any trailer without a load will bounce around a lot. The manufacture selects the spring rate based upon the anticipated load for which the trailer is designed to haul. A trailer, built to haul 8000-10,000 pounds, when towed without the load will see very little spring movement when hitting bumps whether it has leaf springs, torsion springs, or coil springs.

"If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes."

Homeport: Lewisberry, PA Go to Top of Page

mixman

RO# 25362

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  19:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,

Our trailer was WAY under built due to false figures (dry weight of our boat was quoted to the trailer manufacturer as 5,000lbs when it's really closer to 8,000). We had a tandem with torsion. The axles held fine, but we chewed up tires and hubs. This past spring we added another axle and we're good to go. Considering the last 3 years we've done 2k miles on the trailer (each year) and always "napped" in the boat on the trip, I can say the ride on the torsion axles (undersized or not) is very kind to the boat (based on the fact that everything in the cabin stays in its' place that is).

--Kurt

20mph cruise at 5gph. Two hulls are better than one!

Homeport: Chesapeake Bay Go to Top of Page

Harlan

RO# 15327

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  19:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris-
I have a customer who has torsion axles on goose neck cattle trailer. It gets dragged around in pastures, dirt roads, loaded, over loaded & mistreated every way you can imagine, he says never another spring trailer.
As to bouncing, let some of the air out of the tires if you are going to pull a long way. Mine don't seem to bounce any worse than my spring trailers did.
just my .02 cents

First they told them - "you don't need your guns, then they told them, get on the train".

Homeport: Shreveport,LA Go to Top of Page

mixman

RO# 25362

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  20:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,

What are the chances your boat would fit on my trailer? Actually, if you use a lift, it probably would. We need to talk and have dinner some time....

--Kurt

20mph cruise at 5gph. Two hulls are better than one!

Homeport: Chesapeake Bay Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  20:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd guess that empty trailer bouncing is as more from tires than type of springs. Our last boat was on tandem spring axles and the current one on tandem torsion axles. Current is much heavier, tow vehicle is the same, and current tows much straighter than the last rig. There are many other variables, since the newer trailer sits lower on the drop-axle torsion system and also carries the boat lower above the frame. Torsion trailer also has a wider track.
Just remember, torsion has no equalizer links between springs. This means that the loaded trailer's frame must be parallel to the road surface. If front is low, that axle'll be overloaded. If high, rear overloaded.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
Alpha One GEN II 5.7L/350CID/EFI/220HP
14-1/2*19 Stainless RWC

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  20:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hyperfishing

Ha, always something new to learn here. Dvan, I can see frequently towing long distances sans boat, so your information pretty much kills the torsion trailer. Thanks Much!

Chris an empty spring-axle trailer bounces pretty badly too. The springs/torsions are set up for a given load, and without it they're gonna bounce. Letting some air out of the tires might help but I don't know for sure.

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

Hyperfishing

RO# 3223

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  20:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Humm, more good info. Thanks all. Yes, Mixman a another raft-up/dinner is in order this summer. Want to pick your brains on the Beehoms.

Wacky about the boat weight difference quoted! Thank goodness a towing tradegy did not happen, as a direct result of that.

Chris

Edited by - Hyperfishing on Feb 27 2011 21:06:03

Homeport: Sand Bar, Great South Bay Go to Top of Page

gerrys

RO# 29622

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  06:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torsion suspension has been around for a long time and, IMO, it's a better option to springs, particularly in saltwater. On my trailer you chan change out the spindles complete without dealing with the torsion tube.The spindle merely a tapered fit in the torsion arm fastened by a large nut on the back of the arm.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

gcolton

RO# 9708

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  08:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mandm1200

Any trailer without a load will bounce around a lot. The manufacture selects the spring rate based upon the anticipated load for which the trailer is designed to haul. A trailer, built to haul 8000-10,000 pounds, when towed without the load will see very little spring movement when hitting bumps whether it has leaf springs, torsion springs, or coil springs.

I was about to make this same comment.

George

If you are not boating or golfing you are wasting your day.

Homeport: EAFB Yacht Club Go to Top of Page

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  10:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gerrys

Torsion suspension has been around for a long time and, IMO, it's a better option to springs, particularly in saltwater. On my trailer you chan change out the spindles complete without dealing with the torsion tube.The spindle merely a tapered fit in the torsion arm fastened by a large nut on the back of the arm.

That's what I had on mine. I would put torsion axles far above axles with external leaf springs. Far above.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Homeport: Charleston, SC Go to Top of Page

vriceflyer

RO# 18518

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  22:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We pulled a torsion triple axle trailer loaded with a 1999 Sea Ray 270 for years with no problems with the axles.

2001 340 Searay Sundancer

Homeport: Shreveport, LA Go to Top of Page

sabrejocky

RO# 12195

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  10:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I have experience with both. Over seas almost all trailers have torsion suspension. I think springs are better as specially on single axle trailers as torsion ones will tend to sway all over the place. An other thing to remember is that the torsion tube will corrode from the inside out and you will not be able to tell how bad it is till it breaks.

Cor

"Pretty Penny"
1990 50' High Tech Euro
Wellington, Florida
You ain't much if you ain't Dutch

Homeport: Miami, Florida Go to Top of Page

Harlan

RO# 15327

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  10:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had to replace my axles at 15 years and the trailer spent its first 13 years in Tampa (salt water) area.

First they told them - "you don't need your guns, then they told them, get on the train".

Homeport: Shreveport,LA Go to Top of Page

Tommy Allen

RO# 366

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  13:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 20' outboard, a 1996 model that I sold to a friend 2 years ago. Was talking to him the other day and he is going to buy a new torsion axle trailer this year. Reason? The torsion trailer is 15 years old, and still works. The axle is getting rusty, but hasn't broken. He can't get a set of springs to last 15 years. Makes sense to me.

Homeport: Sleepy Creek, NC Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Inflatable boat repair kit Topic Next Topic: This should be a no brainer, but Ill ask . . . .  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.75 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com