BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: luna sea ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Plans for 2011
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Built for the Alaskan Boater! Topic Next Topic: BILLV  

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  12:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plans for 2011

Pacific Daylight Saving time kicks in this weekend, so it must be time to start thinking about where you’re gonna’ go on your boat this spring/summer/fall.

I know Jgsons2 is thinking about a pretty nice trip this summer, and I think I know where to find him after July 1-4, and I hope he will tell us all about his plans for getting there and back again, on this thread.

So jump into this thread, guys, and lets hear (read) about where you gonna’ run to, and where you gonna’ hide, on your beautiful boats this summer.

Stalwyn has been moved from Secret Cove into Sechelt Inlet at Porpoise Bay, to be closer to our new home, which should be ready to move into by Christmas this year (maybe), and will part company with his new friend, a Commander 26 “Pintail”, as soon as we get the house organized.

Our summer plans are simplified down to answering the questions, “When can we start?” and “When do we have to be back?”

If the total time between the two dates is 2 weeks, then it’s Blind Channel and back home. Seymour Narrows on the way out and the Yucultas on the way back.

If we get 4 weeks time, we can make Port Hardy and back (as we did in 3 weeks during the summer of 2009 in the company of Ria Sea to Port McNeill and back).
6 weeks gets us to New Bella Bella/Shearwater and back (as it did last summer in the company of Ria Sea).
8 weeks gets us to Hartley Bay and back; 10 weeks to Prince Rupert and back; and 12 weeks to Ketchikan and back. I’m going to set Sept.30 as the get home deadline, so if we can get away by July 1, we could make it to SE Alaska this summer, or alternately head up Portland Inlet to Observatory Inlet.

Anything more than 12 weeks allows us a real decent tour of SE Alaska, or some extended side trips up and down the beautiful inlets on the B.C. North and Central Coasts.

All of the above is determined at a very leisurely pace of about 12 nmpd. We will make certain that we start heading back at the half-way mark in time so as not to run into a time pressure on the return trip that forces us into traveling in bad weather. We have come home from Port Hardy in 1 day on 2 different occasions and from Port McNeill in 1 day one time. We just don’t want to be in the position of being forced into this kind of “sprint” to get home at the appointed time. We take the Inside Passage northbound. What invariably happens is that the outbound trip goes more quickly and allows us to “bank” some days for some side trips from our furthermost destination.
The return trip is almost always by a route to the west of the Inside Passage, except for ducking back in to Hartley Bay, Klemtu, New Bella Bella/Shearwater for fuel and water, or to Dawson’s or Duncanby for fuel to get us back around Cape Caution.

This summer the Admiral is committed to helping out with a big quilting get-together on the Sunshine Coast, so I may be going north solo.

Let’s hear about your plans for the extended cruises you are taking this summer.

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  18:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best I can hope for is if I get to go to Nome and ride in "Flutterby", now known as Dora Dee, in the Bering Sea!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  22:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Butterfly:

You said, "The best I can hope for is if I get to go to Nome ... "
and I'm hoping for 3 months, so I can get to Ketchikan?

I am NOT feeling sorry for you, girl! My insurance runs out at Cape Spencer, and that's not anywhere close to Seward or Kodiak, nevermind the Bering Sea.

You better be taking some pics up there, and if you post 'em on SF bay and CA Delta, you better give us a "heads up" here!!

.... "if I get to Nome ..." Grrrrrr!

OS

ps: Do you know anybody down there who can get my insurance for a 30 footer stretched as far as Kodiak? That would be a heck of a summer, wouldn't it?

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  05:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My plans include a week out in June, most likely the Gulf Islands. 2 weeks in July running up to Ucluelet and hopefully limiting out on salmon, halibut and cod. Then August 2 weeks going into Desolation Sound. September is 12 days to and around Hawaii leaving from Vancouver, 5 days at sea, 6 days around the islands and then fly home. Last summer of "employed vacation". Next year retirement and a summer to travel where ever I want to. Yes OS, I'll be heading north in June 2012!

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  16:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As my wife broke her leg, spring cruising will be limited alot this year. I am currently planning heading up to the Broughton Islands during the second and third week of August. I hope it will really happen this year!!

Dave N

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA Go to Top of Page

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  20:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last week in June my wife and I are taking our 4 grand kids out for 9 days on the boat. I hope I survive, we have done weekends countless times but never an entire week. We will be looking for kid friendly places and pools to get them off the boat, we hope to end the trip at Liberty Bay for the fireworks show.

The first 2 weeks of August will be just the wife and I, currently no concrete destinations in mind except to be in the islands.

I will be taking a vacation next month to get started on annual boat maintenance and clean up.....I'm ready for some cruising !!

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  21:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill_V:

“Yes OS, I'll be heading north in June 2012!”

Does that mean our North Pole Trip is on for 2012, Bill??? YIPPEEEEE!

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  21:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wingspar:

I hope it will happen this year for you and your best friend, too, Dave. You will enjoy the Broughtons. If you want references for a couple of really nice, but lesser visited places to anchor out, please let me know.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  21:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
navman:

I think we are all ready for some cruising, Brad, especially after the crummy winter we have had up here. Hope you enjoy your August trip.

4 grand kids for 9 days !!!??? What were you thinking when you agreed to THAT ???!!!

OS

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  00:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
navman: I'll bet the parents of those 4 grandkids are all for this, eh?
OS: Yep, we can do this. I just completed my final mods for long term cruising with the install of a Dickenson P9000 propane heater in the cabin and all new cockpit railings that are higher and better built then the OEM's. Yep OS, I'll be ready for the trip!

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  10:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Salt, yes, please send any recommendations for anchorages. Any new house photos?

Brad, I'd stop at Roche Harbor. Pool and lots of places to explore and often other kids to play with. With a good dingy then over to Garrison Bay. Lots of room to run around, play frisby, and explore the fort.

Dave N

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  19:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, yeah I thought about that but for the past couple years we rushed up to the islands and then had to rush back to get a slip in Poulsbo. Just don't want to do that again, plus 4 kids are not that into long boat rides, couple hours and there ready to run and I'm ready for Bushmills :-)

I might get down to that marina in the canal ( Pleasant Harbor ) I know they have a pool.
Port Ludlow might have a pool also, will need to check.

One good thing going for us is they are old enough to be self sufficient as far as making sandwiches.
Brad

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  17:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you were joking about your insurance not letting you go farther North or not. If you were not I did some research and found one that said you could go any where you wanted to.
The name of the insurance is West Land in Vancouver BC 1-800-899-3093.

May your keel stay wet and your seat stay dry

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  23:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jgsons2:

Thanks for the lead! Maybe I can get to the North Pole with Bill!

The local Westland office in Sechelt is where we wrote up the home insurance for our new house, and they gave us a good premium when I started whining about the high cost of being an Old_Guy in the 21st Century. I was trying to save on the insurance, so I could spend it on diesel fuel, but I know you won’t tell ‘em that.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  23:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

They finished the house (almost) and we took possession March 30. The moving is killing me and seriously cutting into my drinking time.

House faces due south as does the present one. All on one level.

View to the South from the driveway, over the Strait of Georgia.

Not sure when the move will be completed and the Admiral will release me for nautical duties. Absolutely sure I will never recover from the effort of moving. Why do we humans collect so much stuff? All we need are clean shorts and t-shirt, a boat, and a bank account with unlimited funds.

OS

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  08:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking house Salt! Your probably going to really like the lack of stairs. I know my wife would.

I've moved my departure time up to leaving on July 8th and with good weather steaming through Seymour Narrow Sunday morning. Now with my 16 knot boat how early can i safely go through before the turn???

Dave

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  10:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

"Now with my 16 knot boat how early can i safely go through before the turn???"

During the period July 9-12 the maximum ebb and flood currents at Seymour Narrows are in the 10-13 knot range.

If you leave Campbell River on the turn to ebb (current running north) and go through on the early part of the ebb, you will get a little bit of a boost on your way north to Chatham Point, and then west to Fanny Island. You could leave on the last of the flood and reach the Narrows at the turn, but you would lose some of the boost you get by riding the flood EBB all the way. A half-hour early from Campbell River would get you to the Narrows pretty close to slack current, running at 10-12 knots.

OS

Edit: Sorry for the boo-boo above, Dave. We are in the new house for about 10 days now, and finally got the phone, cable, and internet hooked up, and I was horrified to see what I had written on Apr.6. I musta' wrote that before my first drink of the day, or had the chart upside down or sumthin'.

Old_Senility

Edited by - Old_Salt on Apr 23 2011 00:20:49

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  20:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having taken last year off, I'll be work work working my way through this summer. BLECH!!!

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  09:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ghost:

I took last year off, and the year before that, and the year before that, and ...

What's the Problem ???

I have it on good authority that the summer weekend weather in Puget Sound is going to be fantastic this summer. Enjoy !

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  00:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

I made a correction to my Apr.6 post to you, up above.

Sorry!

Old_aSleep at the keyboard

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  00:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Landscaping done!
The deer walked through the front yard first day after the horse chestnut was planted and trimmed the buds for us! I'm thinkin' they will look nice beside the potatoes and gravy.

Back yard

OS

Previous Topic: Built for the Alaskan Boater! Topic Next Topic: BILLV  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com