boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 141 ]  [ Total: 143 ]  [ Newest Member: drbob00 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Need Help w/ Gimbal Seal Removal - Volvo DP-S
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Arrrrgh!  How do I post Pics in a post? Topic Next Topic: E. Coast Fla Marina suggestions  

dl2525

RO# 31205

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  20:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to remove the gimbal bearing seal on a volvo DP-S drive. For those who haven't done the job, I will describe the issue so maybe you can weigh in.

The flanged seal is installed backwards (on purpose) so water does not enter the bilge. Therefore, when it is installed, the flange of the seal bottoms out on the machined inner surface of the housing. In the past I've used an expandable jaw puller that attaches to a slide hammer. A couple pulls and it's usually out. The issue with this one is that there is only about 1-2mm difference from the machined surface and the inside diameter of the flanged seal. So therefore, the expandable jaw has literally nothing to grab onto. I've pulled out just about the entire rubber portion of the seal and I'm basically left with just the 'frame' of the seal which consists of the metal outside diameter and the flange itself.

How can I remove this damn thing?? To add insult to injury, the whole seal is recessed about 6 - 8 inches and the whole area is only about 3 1/2 - 4 inches wide. There isn't much room to pry on things nor even get your hands in there.

Thanks again.

Edited by - dl2525 on Mar 18 2011 20:05:51

Homeport: NJ

Michael Clemensen

RO# 2006

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  05:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven’t done it yet but my 1996 OMC/Volvo Penta vertical drive/transom bracket manual, page 2-16, just states “Use a three-jaw puller such as Owatonna tool P/N OEM-4184 to pull out the gimbal housing bearing. Spread the tool jaws between the bearing and inner seal, and expand them tightly behind the bearing. Remove and discard the bearing.” “Pull the inner seal out in a similar manner and discard it.” The key may be in the tool.

Homeport: Winthrop Harbor, Illinois Go to Top of Page

dl2525

RO# 31205

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  09:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The recommended tool is basically the same thing that I used. It doesn't work on the seal. Don't waste your money.

Here is the trick for anyone who experiences this issue... I ended up having to remove the pivot housing and bellows in order to gain better access to the seal. Once there, I had to modify one of those 'rocker type' seal pullers. I was able to just get the tip on the edge of the seal and work it loose. I don't see how a slide hammer puller would ever work on a volvo sx/dp-s style drive. There just doesn't seem to be any material to work with.

Homeport: NJ Go to Top of Page

Monterey10

RO# 12830

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  22:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Rick" (2850 Bounty) over at the Baylinerownerclub.org forum is the expert when it comes to Volvo. He's very generous when it comes to helping folks out. You might give that site a try.

Homeport: Capitola, CA Go to Top of Page

dl2525

RO# 31205

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  15:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up finishing up the entire rebuild this week. I also had to fabricate a gimbal ring puller on my mill in order to separate the gimbal ring from the transom assembly. In the end I replaced the driveshaft gimbal seal, gimbal bearing (aligned it with another homemade tool), U-joints, gimbal ring steering post O-ring, driveshaft and exhaust bellows, new O-rings for the outdrive drain/fill/sight plugs, new anodes, and I also painted the drive. It looks like I'm ready for another season!

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  15:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job. I envy your mill/machine shop.

For those who don't have this access, a long reach 90* tip needle nose may work. Or a sharpened long screwdriver or long punch. Put the tip at the edge of the steel seal housing and tap the punch into the aluminum housing just enuff to get under it. Slowly work it under and it will come out.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

dl2525

RO# 31205

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  16:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I never would have thought of that. It really seemed to be pressed in there pretty well. I really struggled getting the pieces apart. I looked in the service manual and saw the tool they used to sell for separating the gimbal ring. I figured ok no biggie, so I made the tool on the mill. I go to use the tool and it wasn't budging. Weird I thought? I finally figured out that the bolt I was using actually threaded all the way to the bottom of the gimbal ring. So in actuality, I was really bolting the parts together vs. trying to separate. What the manual didn't mention was that the puller must have come with its own bolt (not the steering bolt for the tiller arm). Upon closer examination, the top of the steering tiller arm is tapped with a different thread (larger) than the original bolt. The thread is a real oddball too (9/16" x 18tpi - try to find that at Lowes or Home Depot). So then it all made sense why I couldn't separate the two! Once I threaded some rod with the correct threads, the piece came out in two minutes. I spent literally 5 hours thinking and trying various things to no avail.

I have to say, everything I came across on the Volvo drive was superior to the Merc counterpart. Everything was well thoughout. The bellows were cake to install. No glue needed (yay!). The only thing that I didn't like on the volvo was the fact that the gimbal seal was too close in diameter to the machined surface behind it, which doesn't lend itself to be easily removed with a slide hammer.

Edited by - dl2525 on Apr 03 2011 16:10:02

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  16:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's just a grease seal. I've only replaced two. The first I mangled trying to get out and the second , because I was stripping and filling/painting due to corrosion. Otherwise, unless there is something VERY bad about the seal, I leave the old ones in.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Arrrrgh!  How do I post Pics in a post? Topic Next Topic: E. Coast Fla Marina suggestions  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 1.08 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com