BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: DSerge ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 To Old Salt and ever one at BoaterEd
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: FYI False creek Vancouver BC Topic Next Topic: Inside passage Help?  

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  20:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old Salt I have not been back to Port Hardy since 08. Dad passed on in 09 and built mom a new place in 2010. 2011 is our year to go back and find new places to the two of us.
A little bragging here. My boat is a 2008 North River 28 ft Sea Hawk with a 330 Volvo DDP. Named her the 401 K. She will do 48Knots at full power and burns so much fuel I get a heart attack looking at the GPH. We run her about 24 to 25 knots and burn 6 to 6.5 GPH.
Our planes for 2011 is to trailer the boat to Port Hardy and be there by the 7th of July.
From there to Nigei Island to Nakwaka Rapids to Goose bay to Dawson landing to Kwakshua Channel to Sea Otter inlet to Good old Namu to Hunter island to Codville island and do some trout fishing to Evans inlet to Ocean Falls to Shearwater to Lady Trutch passage to Jackson Passage to Klemto to ??????
Now that I am retired we do not have a time table. Just have to be back in time to hunt in October.
Anyone have any comment, ideals of where not to go or to go to?

May your keel stay wet and your seat stay dry

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  00:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jgsons2:

You wore me out reading your route plans at 48 knots. I gotta' go lie down and rest up!

I guess I'll know it's you, when you go by me at that rate, but y'know that 24 nm on about 30 liters is not all that bad.

Are you going inside to Seymour Inlet when you get to Nakwakto? If you are heading west in "Slingshot" Channel, when you leave Nakwakto, you really have to watch out for the standing waves that form west of Vigilance Point on the ebb, especially against a west wind. If you drop into the trough a couple of times, you will learn the minimum turning radius of your North River pretty quickly.

When you go into Kwakshua, do you hang out in Pruth Bay for your overnight stops, and fish in Hakai Passage during the day?

I have never stopped overnight at Sea Otter Inlet, but the little cove on the south side of the entrance, and Crab Cove on the north side, look like they would give you a chance to get out of any overnight wind, whether it was blowing up Fitz Hugh or down. Do you anchor out most nights, or do you head for a palce like Pruth Bay or Namu, where you can get ashore for a bit?

It sounds like you're going to give Fitz Hugh and Fisher Channel a good work out, when you're fishing your way up to Dean Channel and Ocean Falls. I try to work in an overnight at Ocean Falls. especially when the water tank needs filling up.

Don't forget to pick up that new chart, 3941, for Lady Trutch Passage, and before you head north, you might want to go further west in Seaforth Channel and then head south a bit to St. John's Harbour. The folks at New Bella Bella have been doing well in the open water there.

Retirement and boating go pretty well together, don't they?

Take care, and have a great summer.

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  10:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About Seymour inlet. We were just planning to look at the rapids. We have the time, anything special to see there?
Thanks for the Info about Slingshot Channel. I have learned to listen to people who have been there before me.
Pruth bay, we were going to just try to eat there for one meal. They will not open till the 16th. We may try them on the way back. As for the fishing I will only catch enough for us to eat each day untill we head back and then I'll fill the freezer.
We like to anchor out most of the time. That said my wife has a new dog she has to take with us this year so we will go to shore at least a few time every day.
I did buy chart 3941 and a few others to upgrade my charts I have.

Anyone know anything about Griffin Pass. It West of Klemtu and runs between Sheep passage and Mathieson channel.

May your keel stay wet and your seat stay dry

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  12:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I did buy chart 3941 and a few others to upgrade my charts I have. ...
Anyone know anything about Griffin Pass."

I see you picked up Chart 3942 as well!

I have entered Griffin Passage from both the south and north end and had a good look at both of the "hazardous tidal rapids" blocking the passages. They can really move on the ebb at the south side. Since the north rapids dry 6' and 7' and the south rapids dry 6' with drying rocks at 10', leaving an isolated still pool of water in between them, you will obviously want to wait for high water slack current before you try to go through in either direction.

Canadian Tide and Current Tables, Volume 7, (the purple cover) list a tide station on the north side of Griffin Passage, based on Bella Bella, which as a reference port, has 4 pages of tide tables in the front section of the book. The range at Bella Bella on a mean tide is 11.7' and on a large tide is 17.9', so you will want to pick your time at a large tide slack CURRENT. You should have Volume 6 & 7 for your trip ... I paid $6.50 each for mine. DO NOT USE the NOAA data for this area.

Mathieson Channel (at the south entrance) floods north, and Sheep Passage (at the north entrance) floods east, indicating to me that Griffin Passage floods from both ends, toward the rapids. Give me a couple of days and I will get my 2007 log out and check the conditions that existed when I was there.

I'll give you some more info on Seymour Inlet (Chart 3552 and 3921) next time.

OS

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  14:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn, i wish I was retired.

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  12:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jgsons2:

"Give me a couple of days and I will get my 2007 2006 log out and check the conditions that existed when I was there. "

July 30, 2006

We pulled the anchor in Rescue Bay at 8:03 am PDT, wirh a Bella Bella low tide of 4.3' coming up at 10:43 am.
We entered the south end of Griffin Passage at 8:54 am PDT and got as far as 52* 36.75 N against a noticeable ebb. Tide at 5-6' with a least depth of 15-16' off the east shore. I have some pics and I will post them when I find them (We're moving and they have been packed).
Exited south end at 9:40 am with the current ebbing at about 1.5-2 knots at 9:40 am.

August 1, 2006

Upped anchor in Windy Bay (it wasn't) at 1:14 pm.
At 1:57 pm we are in the first large basin from the north in 37' and on the start of the flood. We got as far as 52* 43.4 North, at depth 20', encountering a least depth of 15.9' and 12-13' when I got too close to the west shore.
2:23 exited the Narrows with least depth of 16.2' and exited north end of Griffin Passage at 2:23 pm.

The new chart will have been corrected in Lat and Long since my trip, and I rounded off my recorded readings.

There are anchoring posibilities at both ends, but I would choose to anchor in Griffin Passage, for the first time, at an early hour in the day on an overnight neap tide. That would give you time to pull your anchor and get out in daylight if you decided against staying through the daytime spring tide.

Exploring further into the rapids area by dighy or kayak at slack current would be my way of going.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  15:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jgsons2:

I have posted some info on Seymour Inlet in the thread on this forum,

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109435

called "Special Places on the West Coast of B.C."

so that everyone will have access to it.

I think you would enjoy a trip inside when you have the opportunity.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  12:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jgsons2:

This is a photo taken from south of Charles Head at the South entrance to Griffin Passage. You can see the opening to the southern rapids farther north beyond the opening.

This photo is taken from just south of the rapids at the south end.

These were taken 1-2 hours before low water of about 4' at Bella Bella.

OS

Edit:

I am adding one more pic from the south end, which shows a little more clearly that the ebb was still running at a couple of knots at this time.

Edited by - Old_Salt on Mar 27 2011 12:58:53

Previous Topic: FYI False creek Vancouver BC Topic Next Topic: Inside passage Help?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com