BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 boat maintenance
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Anyone dive Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera? Topic Next Topic: SSI vs PADI vs Naui  

BobCT

RO# 31742

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  19:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any less expensive options for doing boat maintenance/hull cleaning than the 12v systems?

I've snorkled but not done any diving. Last year I needed to unwrap a bag from around my prop. I was probably 3' below the surface and thought..." why can't I add a 3-5' of hose to a snorkel"?

Is that an option?

If there are any other options, I would be interested.

thanks,
Bob

Homeport: CT

padfor

RO# 10176

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  20:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With a snorkel that long you would soon die. The length of a snorkel must have a smaller capacity than you lungs; otherwise you would be breathing the same air over and over until the oxygen was depleted. Get a hooka compressor or use a tank, both with proper regulators. I use full scuba gear and a suction cup to stick with the boat.

Homeport: Texas Go to Top of Page

Chevy427z

RO# 11911

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  09:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aside from rebreathing the same air, there is the issue of pressure at depth on your lungs trying to breathe surface air. When I got certified years ago, my instructor demonstrated that theory by giving us a five foot long garden hose to breathe through. We couldn't get below 2 feet and continue to inhale. Hard to comprehend without actually experiencing it. I agree with a hookah type arrangement for boat maintenance.

Mark

1989 23' Arrowglass Merc 350/260 Alpha 1 I/O "Valkyrie"
"Don't try to outweird me, three eyes. I get stranger things than you in my breakfast cereal."

Homeport: Oak Island, NC Go to Top of Page

BornToBoat

RO# 17774

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  12:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I got scuba certified a couple years ago, and it has been a big convenience on the boat. Aside for all the diving I do just for pleasure, I have saved a good amount of money just last year alone. The water at my old marina was very warm last year, and the barnacle growth out of control. We were headed off for a long weekend and couldn't even get on plane. I moved out of the channel, dropped the anchor and dove below for some scraping. 30 min later, we're off again and on plane. Big $$ savings, and it saved our long weekend.

Another time I bent a prop (luckily it was the left, because I only had a left spare). Limped back to the marina (the spare was in the dock box), and dove down and changed it. No haul, no expense.

Mid year I had to change zincs on the shaft. No problem.

I suggest you get certified first. You don't need to go for a lot of expensive equipment. An internet company from NYC has the best selection and prices, LeisurePro. I got a lot of my equipment used off of craigslist.

For just under the boat work, you could go as simple as a pony bottle, regulator, and a few pounds of weight. Most importantly, take a class and get certified.

Rob
"Rola Roma"
1997 Sundancer 330, 7.4 IB
Anchorage Yacht Club
Lindenhurst, NY

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

BobCT

RO# 31742

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  19:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys, great responses. I kind of figured if you could use a 6' hose and breathe someone would be selling it. As a non diver, it is hard to imagine why it wouldn't work but I think I get it now.

Rob, I like your idea and I think I'll go ahead and get certified. I do all of my all own maintenance and could easily change a prop and zincs as needed. I had one dinner trip ruined last year when I picked up a clam bag. I pulled it off it by diving under and holding my breath but it wasn't fun.

Bob

Homeport: CT Go to Top of Page

Seadaddler

RO# 31074

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  17:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a dive tank and 40' hose and regulator and dive my boat to add zincs and clean prop and gives me long time under boat than holding my breath.
I got all my equipment on E-Bay and I did get certified but due to ear problems don't dive much other than diving under my sailboat.
All my equipment has been updated by dive shop.

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  17:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rommer has a portable system that he uses.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

BornToBoat

RO# 17774

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  11:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the hose and regulator system as well. It works great. Look at this brand. airlinebyjsink dot com

Rob
"Rola Roma"
1997 Sundancer 330, 7.4 IB
Anchorage Yacht Club
Lindenhurst, NY

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  12:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is about as cheap as you'll get: http://tinyurl.com/3ovr65z

Just add a tank.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

Seadaddler

RO# 31074

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  16:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any dive shop can pickup that hose similar price

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

Live2Dive

RO# 13471

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  08:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Brownies third lung electric in addition to several sets of dive gear (diving is why we got the boat in the first place). It is very helpful to be able to dive under your own boat. It is also my main source of enjoyment on the boat.

Mark

Carver 530 Voyager
"Turtle Time"
Blazer Bay 1960
"But my chart plotter says the rock is over there..."

Homeport: Indian Harbour Beach, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Anyone dive Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera? Topic Next Topic: SSI vs PADI vs Naui  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com