BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Volvo Penta DP outdrive oil change
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Just got a new bulkhead Topic Next Topic: Rats, snakes and stuff  

Tainui

RO# 26562

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  09:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a call from the Marina (doing Spring commissioning) saying that they were changing the oil in the outdrive and only about 1 pint came out. It was totally black and burnt.

The gimble was changed last season and they filled the oil level as it should have been.

The Marina pressure tested the drive and it held all night.

They attempted to fill the drive and could only get about a pint of oil back in. They have been scratching their heads for two days. I was thinking that maybe someone here may have some idea what would cause the restriction of ingress/egress of oil from the drive?
Morgan
Pursuit Denali 2860 - SOLD

Homeport:

Chesagansett

RO# 9880

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  11:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bunch of it in there turned to sludge, and won't drain out? Just a wild guess.

Glenn
Cape Coral, FL
Four Winns Sundowner 245

Edited by - Chesagansett on Apr 14 2011 11:36:59

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

Captain Crunch

RO# 6460

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  11:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is who ever did the last oil change had a air pocked in the drive and only got a pint in before it registered full. with only a pint, it probably caused it to blacken significantly. Make sure they are qualified VOLVO Penta mechanics working on it.
cc

Homeport: Olympia, Washington Go to Top of Page

Liquid Diet 2

RO# 19955

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  13:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You fill a VP DuoProp drive from the bottom, at least the ones I've encountered. Is this a DP-S outdrive? You can keep pumping 'til the cows come home. What I mean is that you'll see oil come out the vent and you can keep pumping to "purge" what's in there. I don't understand when they say "we could only get one pint in". What came out the vent? I bless the day I started doing all maintenance myself, no more unqualified douches touching my boat.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  14:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What model drive? 290DP?

With my 280 and 290, I tried to take shortcuts. There is a dipstick at the top and I would fill from there...this shortcut took a loooooong time. So, according to the manual, I removed the plug from near the shift plate and filled from there. Do this while the drive is tilted. Then lower the drive, replace the plug, check dipstick. Make sure to turn prop by hand to help remove air bubbles.

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

adru

RO# 19517

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  19:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Volvo DP and the prop needs to be removed (using a special tool) to drain and fill the outdrive.

"Life is a journey which is always most interesting when you donít know where youíre going."

Homeport: Branford, CT Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  08:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
adru, what model drive?

My 280 was 1986 and 290DP was 1989. In both cases, the drain was on the skeg,the fill was by the shift plate and the dipstick on the top.

I'd be curious to hear what model and year Tainui has.

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

adru

RO# 19517

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  15:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1999 5.0 gi PWTR, Drive Unit: DP-SM95 (m22). I have my marina service it but like to be there while they are working on it. I think the special tool needed to take off the props cost about $70.00. Oil is forced through the drain on the bottom till it comes out the 2nd drain hole on the top of the drive.

"Life is a journey which is always most interesting when you donít know where youíre going."

Edited by - adru on Apr 15 2011 15:36:20

Homeport: Branford, CT Go to Top of Page

Tainui

RO# 26562

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  08:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. The situation appears to be as Chesagansett described. The drive has been removed and is at the Volvo service shop up in Windsor for service. The drain is at the bottom as adru pictured.

They were trying to pump the oil in from the bottom and couldn't get more than a pint in. Apparently there is a screen somewhere between the halves of the drive that is polluted and won't allow the oil to pass. So far speculation is that the service I had done last year by a friendly neighborhood mechanic was poor and he used the wrong weight gear oil. How they can determine this without an analysis, I don't know. But for sure they said the oil was black and very poor condition.

Thanks for the comments, hopefully there is no internal damage.

Morgan
Pursuit Denali 2860 - SOLD

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

IN2FISHN

RO# 5546

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  09:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's BS you about a filter IMO. Wrong oil or improper service!!!!!!!!!
http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/index.cfm?fuseaction=comp&group=3309&GroupList=3300,3301,3303,3302,3304,3305,3306,3310,3309,3312,3311,3314,3313,3315,3317,3316,3318,3320,3319,3321,3322,

Edited by - IN2FISHN on Apr 21 2011 09:28:57

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  10:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That doesn't sound right, I would want to see this clogged screen.

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Just got a new bulkhead Topic Next Topic: Rats, snakes and stuff  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com