BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 51 ]  [ Total: 54 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Piloting With Pacific Joule 2011
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: North and East of Port Hardy Topic Next Topic: Southern Gulf Islands trip  

Pacificc Joule

RO# 32619

Posted - May 12 2011 :  19:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Day All, The winds eased up and the temperature rose enough for us to be able to get out on Pacific Joule, because of weather delays we had to cut back our time out to one week.
Monday March 7 2011
After about two days of concentrated effort we are away from Minette Bay Marina at 15:04, high tide (16.71 Ft.) was at 14:48 . We must leave and enter out marina on high tide minus or plus about one and one half hours, as there is a shallow channel we must navigate. Partly cloudy with lots of blue sky showing. Winds are Northerly Out Flow 15-20kn. This means they will be on our stern .

Over the Kitimat River Delta on to the Douglas Channel, light chop of about one foot . Push the throttles forward till Pacific Joule is doing 28.5kn, fuel consumption 4.75L/NM. We continue like this to the south end of Coste Rocks where the winds have had the fetch to build the waves to two and one half feet. Throttle back to 23kn and apply heavy trim, fuel goes to 5.62L/NM. The seas build till Hopkins Pt. Where they are three feet in the entrance to Devastation Channel. PJ. Has slowed to 21kn and fuel is 6.15L/NM. We make Sue Channel seas flatten to a ripple, open up the throttles so PJ. Is is again at 28kn with very little trim, fuel 4.84L/NM. Head deep into the anchorage as the Northerly Out Flows are expected to build to 35kn over night. Drop the hook at 16:02 distance 22.5km , fuel burned 110L for a average of 4.88L/NM.

This is leaving Minette Bay just before entering the Douglas Channel.

This is our first voyage with one of our usual crew missing, Rosie. A Rottweiler Lab who knows cross, North American Mixed Breed or Canadian, depending on your circles. She lived to the ripe old age of fourteen and one half years. She is missed much, she took her duties seriously, fending off curious seals or watching our flanks when hiking on shore. In her place is a new dog to us, and boating, Paxton. He is a Boxer Black Lab Cross, a little over weight at 110Lbs, I hope our shore boat will still get up on plane.

Paxton has learned some things about the boat through hard knocks. When dewinterizing PJ. I was on the swim grid taking the plug out of the starboard vent. Paxton came through the open door from the cockpit on to the swim grid to “help” when he went to turn around there was not enough swim grid for him to keep his front feet on and face aft with his but to the transom. It did look like he dove in head first. This would have been funny if it had been August but it is still -5 and there was one half inch of ice on the water from our docks to shore. It looked like he disappeared, I have never seen a dog go completely under water like that before. After which seemed like a long time he came up through the hole in the ice that he just made. Now I am thinking how much dose a 110Lb dog weigh socking wet?

I had all ready made up my mind that I was not going to pull on him with two hands. Should I end up in the water with him the consequences could be serious for us both. It was a good thing he really wanted out of that freeing water. If he had not have helped as much as he did I would not have been able to get him back on the swim grid. So with my one hand on the aft rail and one hand on his neck hair and collar I could pull him part way out. Only through him holding himself with his front paws against our Sea Wise Hinges and not loosing any ground I was able to get another hold of hair farther down his back twice, before he was safely on the grid.

Looking South West down Sue Channel from the anchorage.

This pic. Was taken just after we moved off of Pj’s swim grid the look of horror on Paxton was priceless I think he remembers well how cold all that water is. The brown dog is Clyde a well seasoned
sailor and real salty dog. He knows he is not supposed to stand up in the shore boat but dose not care about rules.

The look on Paxtons face was the same when he made a trip down our dock ramp. The first trips to PJ's dock. Was or at near high tide so the ramps angle was quite shallow. So the first time we { Me Clyde, Paxton} went down at low tide Paxton thought he had this ramp thing down pat. Clyde did not tell him why he went down the left side of the ramp where the little tripping hazards are.

Paxton hit the top of the wet plywood ramp at about three quarter speed. When he tried to slow him self all four paws locked up and his speed doubled. It was a very smooth response on his behalf he sat down and pusher his front paws out in front of him . As he shot past Clyde carefully stepping on the wooden strips . He turned his head with a look of horror on his face lips curled eyes wide open. He turned to look forward just in time to see the drop at the bottom of the ramp . At the last moment he made a leap forward on to the dock , then skidding to a stop. He turned and looked back up the ramp at me as it to say how did that happen.

Clyde and Paxton on shore leave.

We woke the next day to fresh snow, good to have a boat with a furnaces in it.

We had some times when the wind was slack, but only to change direction

Had success on the King Crab hunt .The little one only up for a photo op. He went back in the water after some pics.

One of the bigger crabs we have captured.

Looking down Devastation Channel to Dorthy Narrows and Dorthy Island.

One of the Norths big cedars I could not get the pic right I will try again with different light.

Clyde seems to know how to take advantage of a photo op. Paxton is to the
right just struggling to get up to the top of the buttress, Paxton sure gives it
his best effort.

A hand logged tree with the older spring board method.

Looking East at the entrance to Sue Channel.

Lots of time to do stuff when traveling at 7.5kn.

Part of our getting dry system. Usually we have our back deck covered . I remove the sunbrella
covers for the winter and as we had -12C just before we left on this trip I did not want to weather my hands to put it back on , we missed them a lot.

Dogs doing there part in the step drying system, they don't have to do this for long. After they have licked up little bits of crab bate & sea weed , one last bark at the seals. They do this,and the Only Mate gives in shortly after wards, they come into warm towels.......

Another photo op for a Box Crab, He was returned to the water right after the pics.

This King Crab was not so lucky. The other things on deck are sea cucumbers.

This is how they look after they have been cleaned. I then soak this part in sea water for a hour or so. Then flesh off the five white strips of meat. The meat the best I can describe is a cross between octopus and scallop, like any thing else if you put garlic butter on it it will taste wonderful. I would think I would eat card board if it were dipped in garlic butter, well might take a few bears as well.

One thing I have started to do is to place a reminder on my dash that I have crabs overboard. I keep dungeness crabs in a bag to keep them alive . Some times the rope to the bag is 30 or 40 feet long in order to get below the fresh water lair. The crabs will dye if the salt is not at the right consecration.

Friday March 11 2011
Poor sleep this night as at 00:00Hrs. We picked up the tsunami advisory watch warning from VHF 16
It came through on both 16 and WX8 . Advised to evacuate all marinas beaches and other areas below high tide mark. The advisory came on every hour or so all night. Even provided a time the wave was expected to hit our coast. We experienced no unusual wave action in the bay we were in. Happy to report we would have been well warned about the possible approaching wave. The up dates were good both on channel 16 and weather WX 8 another good example of the importance of monitoring VHF 16 .
Saturday March 12 2011
We made a very tasty sea food fettuccine with all fresh sea food in it. It had King & Dungeness Crab, Sea Cucumber, and Prawns, in a white four cheese sauce. Slept well this night.

Clyde just seems to know where to be to get in the pic.

Gobeil Island & Entrance to Kildala Arm

Heading home at 28kn at 4.75L/NM into slight head wind. This shot is looking up the Douglas Channel at Kitimat. across from the entrance to kildala Arm.
Total gas burned 298L , Diesel 32L Fresh water 200L Drinking water 36L

We weathered some strong winds , snow , sleet , even some good old West Coast rain. This trip had us feeling we made the transition from winter into spring over the week we were out.

On the whole a good shake down trip for the season . Found some bugs to straiten out, faulty voltage regulator on house alternator being the biggest problem.

Safe And Happy Boating PJ.

Edited by - Pacificc Joule on May 13 2011 13:07:00

Homeport: Kitimat BC

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - May 12 2011 :  19:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pixs, nice dogs.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

Maxwell

RO# 31042

Posted - May 12 2011 :  20:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely amazing trip and pictures... Thanks for sharing...

Homeport: Milwaukee, WI Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - May 13 2011 :  07:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simple awsome pics. Love your dogs.

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page

Pacificc Joule

RO# 32619

Posted - May 13 2011 :  10:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, After I looked over the pics again that were taken our Annual King Crab Hunt 2011. I found some more photos that I would liked to have included but missed in the first cut. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did taking them.

Anchorage in Sue Channel looking east.

When wet the dogs get let in one at a time to be dried off with there own towel. Clyde is let in first as he is now the senior dog having taken over the position just recently from Rosie. So in this pic. Paxton is watching Clyde being dried and roughhoused by the Only Mate.

When he turned his attention to me I could not stand it any more and had to let him in.

Still trying to show this tree in all its splendor , Clyde was willing to help with some scale. What a dog its like “Clyde go stand by that tree, no the big one” and so he dose, anything for his photo to be taken.

Clyde is still having a hard time sharing all his toys with Paxton, then some times a dog can just have his favorite bone.

North Kitsaway

When you Bar-B-Q a Prime Rib Roast in a snow storm with a flashlight , some how it adds something to the flavor. Thanks For Being Along. Safe And Happy Boating Pj.

Homeport: Kitimat BC Go to Top of Page

Rustydog

RO# 21393

Posted - May 13 2011 :  11:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pic',eats and dogs, I would have loved to be on that trip. Thanks for sharing.

Homeport: Bethel Park, Pa/ Avon Park, Fl Go to Top of Page

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - May 14 2011 :  19:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pacificc Jole if you don't mind me asking Where did you get a trap for King crab. I will be up your way in July and would like to try for King crabs. I have looked on the internet but with no luck so far.

May your keel stay wet and your seat stay dry

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA Go to Top of Page

Pacificc Joule

RO# 32619

Posted - May 14 2011 :  22:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jgsons2, we did not use traps to catch the crab you seen in our thread. We were scuba diving when we caught the crabs this spring. Catching King Crab in our area is hit and miss more so on the miss. They come into the shallows from early March to around June or July. They can be in a spot one day and not there the next; this makes it special when you catch one.

The traps I have used in the past were round stainless steal hoops about four feet in diameter covered in seine net so it sags by about two or three feet. Another method is to take the top off of a square Dungeness crab trap or the side which ever is easier, then attach the rope to suit.
I prefer to go down and meet them on their own ground.
Best of Luck to You. Safe and Happy Boating Pacific Joule.

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - May 16 2011 :  11:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you I have never seen one in less than 200 ft before.

May your keel stay wet and your seat stay dry

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA Go to Top of Page

Pacificc Joule

RO# 32619

Posted - May 16 2011 :  14:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forty Miles of the Gardner Canal
March 25, 2011

Chart: 3745 Gardner Canal.

This is what spring looks like at its best on the North Coast. The large sheets of ice have fallen from the cliffs. Avalanche shoots still full from the winter’s snow. Cornices wait their turn for their trip to the valley below. Actives of the wild life have changed. No longer having to struggle with cold of winter, they have become more active. Birds are back, with all their songs. Day light has grown noticeably longer.

This is a fast trip down the first forty miles of the Gardner Canal, on the North Coast of British Columba. The photos start at Rix Island and end with views of Chief Mathews and Kemano Bays. The mountains start out around four thousand feet near Rix Island . By Whidbey Reach most are between five and six thousand; the one south of Chief Mathews Bay is six thousand six hundred feet.

Southern Point of Rix Island, 53*30.092’N 128*40.246W

Walkem Point.

Alan Reach South West View.

Europa Point.

Europa Reach North View.

Bare Point.

Allen Point.

Bay between Allen and Cornwall Point.

Bare Point.

Salient Point.

Owyacumish Bay.

Barrie Reach North West View.

Cornwall.

Cornwall.

Europa Reach from Cornwall Point.

Owyacumish Bay.

Barrie Reach North East View.

Cornwall Point.

Barrie Reach South East View.

Barrie Reach North.

Barrie Reach South.

Stuart Beach Barrie Reach West View.

Barrie Reach West View.

Kemano Bay Entrance Point.

Barrie Reach South West. View.

Whidbey Reach, Distance Chief Mathews Bay.

Entrance Bluff.

Kemano Bay, Entrance Point.

Kemano Bay. 53*28.627’N 128*07.907’W

I hope you have enjoyed this quick trip down the Gardner Canal. There is about twenty more miles than I have shown you here, every bit as beautiful. The Gardner shows it’s self differently in all seasons of the year. This area is known for its harsh weather. There are special weather advisories for wind, that can occur suddenly and at any time of year.
Glad to have had you aboard. Safe and Happy Boating PJ.

Edited by - Pacificc Joule on May 16 2011 14:19:34

Pacificc Joule

RO# 32619

Posted - May 24 2011 :  23:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spring on the North Coast

April 20, 2011
Good Day All,
Away from our dock at 15:13, short run to MK. Bay Marina for fuel and water. The Marina has a small marine store, stocked with the usual necessities and shiny boat trinkets. Hot coffee, assorted pastries, pop and chips are available as well. Limited hot food menu, but all entrées include a great view.

This is the Marina at Minette Bay.

PJ. on step at 30 knots passing over the shallows of the entrance to Minette Bay.

Pacific Joule made the run down the Douglas Channel at 5.5 knots. Inflow winds gusting to 20 knots, were pushing up two to three foot seas. We ran like this on one engine most of the way with fuel at 2.13 liters per nautical mile.

Looking at the head of the Douglas Channel, Kitimaat Village & MK Bay Marina photo right, Rio Tinto Alcan photo left.

Bow of PJ. Coste Island photo left, down the Douglas Channel photo right.

Southern point of Coste Island.

Looking South down the Douglas Channel.

North view of the Douglas Channel.

At this speed it took three and half hours to reach Weewanie Hot Springs. On arrival we found both tie up buoys have flipped over some time during the winter. We had some big storms over the last three months. We tied to the chain on the north buoy, as the south buoy has drifted too close to shore.

PJ. at Weewanie Hot Springs.

There is a trail that starts at the head of the bay left, that leads to the bath house, a distance of about .2 of a mile. At about the half way point, the trail passes through a user maintained pick-nick and camp sight. The trail often has fallen debris, feel free to clear your worst obstacle away from the path.

This is just after the start of the trail.

Trail near to bath house.

Weewanie Bath House.

Four ground washing tub, distant is the soaking tub.

Weewanie Bath House view from the bay.

Bay from in front of bath house.

Point south of Weewanie Hot Springs Bay.

Setting sun over Loretta Island and Sue Channel.

April 21,

After a morning soak in the springs, a short hike on shore, ran PJ. Across to Sue Channel and dropped the hook in Loretta Anchorage. I prefer to be on our own ground tackle than to be relying on some unknown tie-up buoy. Over to the head of the bay for our evening dog walk. I tried again to get that special photo of the big cedar, still not as successful as I would like to be. The day completed early enough to allow a movie and Jiffy Pop Yippee… Life does not get any better than that!

Big cedar on Loretta Island.

Loretta Island.

Loretta Island.

April 22,

Awoke to blue skies with puffy clouds and a gentle breeze. After coffee and a fruit plate, we crossed over to the head of the bay for the morning dog walk. When we felt the walk was over Clyde thought otherwise, he would not come out of the bush. So we pushed off from shore and started to make way to PJ. We were about 50 meters off shore and Clyde came shooting out of the forest. He ran down the beach and leaped into the water without breaking stride. We got to PJ. Just in time to haul him out of the water.

Clyde doing the stroke he knows best.

Paxton is becoming more at home on the boat. He has figured out how to get back off the swim grid without turning around. He simply, very carefully backs up, even up the step, around the corner, and through the cockpit door. When he does this it looks like he should have a backup alarm going.

In the afternoon we made the run to Crab River at the entrance to the Gardner Canal. We anchored in the little bay just south of Crab River. The bottom in this bay drops off deep fast. Exposure to the north is a concern, but not at this time as the winds are light and out of the south. Views toward Kitsaway and Hawkesbury Islands are splendid.

PJ. on the hook in bay south of Crab River, showing “ruined piles.”

View towards Kitsaway and Hawkesbury Islands.

“Ruined Piles” and Kitsaway & Hawkesbury Islands.

Setting sun over Kitsaway & Hawkesbury Islands.

April 23,

In the spring, one of the best indications I use to determine when the bears are going to come out of their hibernation, is shortly after the skunk cabbage shoots have come up through the ground. When the shoots are about 8 inches, the bears are not long to follow. The skunk cabbage has been up for about one week now, and today we have seen our first sign that bears are up and about. We found fresh tracks in some sand on the beach near Crab River. Clyde found a big pile of bear pop in the woods, we were able to stop him before he had a chance to roll in it. So yes, bears do poop in the woods.

Skunk Cabbage is an American perennial herb related to the arums that occur in shaded wet to swampy areas and have a fetid odor suggestive of a skunk. One of the first food sources that bears seek out in the spring are the roots of this plant. I have seen large areas of ground dug up by bears feeding off these roots .

Patch of Skunk Cabbage. If you look closely in the foreground, you can see where a bear has torn up the moss and ground in the years passed, to get at the roots of these plants.

Skunk Cabbage Flower.

Skunk Cabbage Flower.

Skunk Cabbage Flower.

Ground which has been dug up recently by a bear to get at the roots of skunk cabbage.

Ground dug up by a bear seeking roots of skunk cabbage.

April 24,

The skies have clouded over and a light rain falls now and again, the wind still has that nip of winter. After the morning rituals, we move PJ. in to the Gardner Canal to the west- side near the southern tip of Rix Island.

We explored Rix Island for about two hours, and found lots of evidence that black tail dear live on Rix. Paxton has made the discovery that they leave little piles of glosettes for him to find. Usually he manages to gobble down half a dozen or so before we can pull him off of his prize.

Paxton is fitting in well to our fur family, has lost more weight and has become more play full since our last voyage.

This tree with others shows that most of the island suffered a forest fire many years ago.

Deeply burnt but tree still living.

Amazing the colours and texture of the growth of mosses and lichens where the light hits.

Ochwe Bay with Paril River just off-center right.

Walkem Point & Triumph Bay photo left.

April 25,

In the evening, we made the run in our inflatable, across Ochwe Bay. Our first attempt to to get up Paril River was met by shallows, that were not passable for us. So this meant some extra shore leave for the dogs at the mouth of the river. Allowing the tide to rise some, we made another attempt. This time we managed to get about one mile up the river. There are numerous rocks and shallows one must maneuver around to make this run, the higher the tide the better. At other times the farthest we have ever made it, is about one and one half miles up the river. This trip is well worth the effort, as views and wildlife can be rewarding.

Paril River.

Paril River.

Paril River.

When the rain shower started you could hear each drop hit the water.

Paril River.

Old, no longer maintained beaver dam up Paril River.

Breach in the beaver dam, but dam still holds back the pond it was intended to.

Downstream of the dam.

Unnamed tributary of Paril River.

Paril River.

Paril River.

The strip of bark of this tree was removed by people many years ago, but did not kill the tree. The amount the tree has grown since the bark was taken gives an indication of how long ago it took place. The tree doesn't grow where the bark is removed, but it continues to grow where bark remains undisturbed. If the strip of bark removed is too large, it will kill the tree. I enjoy looking and finding trees like this.

April 26,

We spent about five hours exploring the southern third of Rix Island. Found indication that over the years numerous people have been there before us. A large portion of the Island was clear cut by the older 'spring board and two man crosscut saw' method. Cedar trees which have portions of their bark removed so long ago, that the tree has grown by ten to twelve inches in radius since the event. Two grave markers: one dated 1924, and the second 1925 laying in the moss. In a part of the forest that looks like it cold be a park.

The notches on this stump show that the fallers that cut this ceder down used their spring boards to climb the tree to just over eight feet before they made their cut to fall the tree.

Same stump showing the other side and two spring board notches.

This shot on Rix Island shows that in the early 1900's, most of the island was logged. I would guess that the forest re-grew by itself. Then was logged again about ten years ago. Now it is well on its own way to be reforested in the local tree species again.

This tree has grown about one foot or thirty centimeters in radius since the strip of bark was removed.

This area was clear-cut in the early 1900's.

When I come across such hallowed ground it causes me to pause for thought.

This copper plaque reads,

CLYDE. EARL. BABCOCK.
BORN JAN. 4. 1886.
DIED FEB. 2. 1925.
YEA THOUGH I WALK THROUGH
THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW
OF DEATH. I WILL FEAR NO EVIL
FOR THOUGH ART WITH ME.

The stamping on the copper plaques appear to be done by hand. As some of the letters have been double stamped. While others, are askew of the line they are to be on.

April 27,

Made another try to get farther up Paril River, this time on the morning high tide. The tide was not as high as I would have liked it to be. We managed to get a little further up the river but not as far as in the past. The high tide was only at fourteen feet, three inches. I would prefer something more in the neighborhood of nineteen to twenty feet or better passage. Nonetheless, it was a marvelous way to spend the morning, such a scenic drift down.

Paril River.

Paril River.

Paril River.

Paril River similar angle as above but different camera settings. I could not make up my mind as to which one to post here so I put them both.

Paril River, I just love that tree.

Paril River.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc451/PacificJoule/BcBoatnet%20Spring%202011/P1000450-Copy-Copy.jpg[/IMG
Paril River.

Mouth of, you guessed it! Looking out in to Ochwe Bay across to Rix Island.

April 28,

Today, the walk ashore was at Walkem Point at the entrance to Triumph Bay. We found that a large section of the point, has been logged by the 'spring board and two man crosscut saw' method many years ago. I always find it interesting to look at the old stumps left behind from this logging method. Another favorite find is a tree that was missed or left behind when this early logging went on. They are usually massive trees with lots of character, often with signs that they have been involved in a forest fire in the distance past.

The rock off of Walkem Point. This rock gets completely covered with water at high tide. This rock is only shown as Blue on chart 3745 Gardner Canal and on chart 3743 Douglas Channel. If leaving or entering Triumph Bay approaching Walkem point, make sure you are off the shore enough to clear this rock.

Walkem Point.

This shot shows a nurse log that starts in the center of the photo, lays up, and to the left, with the trees growing out of it in a straight line.

Bed of Blue Mussels.

Blue Mussels.

Star Fish & Barnacles. Had to test my new waterproof camera out. This shot and the two to follow, were taken at low tide with my hand and camera about one foot / 30cm under the water.

Star Fish on the hunt for blue mussels.

Blue Mussels feeding. Love their smiling faces.

Walkem Point.

Walkem Point looking into Triumph Bay.

Ochwe Bay.

April 29,

We left Ochwe Bay and returned to Weewanie Hot Springs for our last night out. Spring has made good progress in the time we have been on the water. As always the trip has gone by too fast and the mood has us planning the next trip on Pacific Joule.

Sue Channel with Hawkesbury & Loretta Islands.

Devastation Channel into the Douglas Channel Jesse Falls photo center.

It has been another marvelous trip for us. We are glad you could take the time to come along. We hope you enjoyed it as much as we have.
Safe and Happy Boating Pacific Joule.

NewMoon

RO# 29151

Posted - May 25 2011 :  05:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great pics and commentary!

Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"

Homeport: Holladay, UT Go to Top of Page

nwaring

RO# 16045

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great picture, thanks for sharing. The food looks fantastic

Niles

"Interlude"
87 Mainship 36DC
2006 22' Angler/225hp E-Tec

Homeport: Ashtabula Oh - Punta Gorda Fl Go to Top of Page

Pacificc Joule

RO# 32619

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  20:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Banks Island Calamity Bay

Thursday June 16, 2011 Lines untied at 13:57hrs. Seems like a late start for the run ahead. We must leave and return to our marina in sync with the high tide. Short jaunt over to MK Bay Marina to replace the fuel used on our last outing. With fuel and water tanks filled, fresh coffees in hand we're away, South West down the Douglas Channel to Hartley Bay to top up the fuel used on this leg of the trip. From Hartley Bay we head through Stewart Narrows past Waterman Point on to cross Wright Sound. Through Cridge Passage cross Squally Passage to Otter Channel over Nepean Sound and enter the Breaker Islets on the south end of Banks Island. Here Pacific Joule becomes small in the vast landscape of Islands, Islets, Reefs, Rocks and Ocean.
We have traveled about 90 miles, have been lucky in regards to sea conditions. They have been good to fair allowing us to travel at 30 knots most of the way.

Hey, I forgot the photos. I had better start this again.
Leaving Minette Bay and starting to enter the shallow section of water to get to the Douglas Channel.

Arrived at MK Bay marina 14:24 hrs., price of Gas $1.33, Diesel $1.28 a litre.

MK Bay Marina fuel dock center photo.

On the fuel dock looking at the restaurant and marina store.

MK Bay Marina East side head of Douglas Channel.

Aluminum smelter owned by Rio Tinto Alcan West side, head of Douglas Channel.

Douglas Channel Emilia Island just left of photo center.

Looking south down the Douglas Channel Grant Point photo left.

Douglas Channel light Fl 6s.west side of Hawksbury Island photo right. Off the stern of Pacific Joule at 30 knots.

Hartley Bay a First Nations community of about two hundred people. It is an isolated village accessible only by air and water. Located at the southern end of the Douglas Channel, 390 miles north of Vancouver, 90 miles south of Prince Rupert and 50 miles south west of Kitimat.

Hartley Bay Cultural Center.

We tied up at Hartley Bay at 16:39hrs.,took on 215.2L of gas at $1.42 a liter. Gas and diesel is available most days of the year , although someone might have to be called to dispense the fuel during the slower times.

A distinctive feature of the village is the homes are linked by boardwalks rather than gravel or paved roads.

Hartley Bay Marina.

Wright Sound looking west with the Grenville Channel to the north.

West end of Cridge Passage About to start to cross Squally Channel.

Entrance to Otter Channel Campania Island to the south Pitt Island to the north.

Nepean Sound Looking west into Otter Passage with Block and Trap Islands, Trutch Is. To the south and Banks Is. to the north.

Breaker Islets off Southern shore of Banks Island.

Breaker Islets off Southern shore of Banks Island

No longer at 30 knots too many bottom details for me to travel at that kind of speed around here.

Hecate Strait was an unusual calm.

Had me thinking, is this the calm before the storm that you hear so much about?

Seemed a shame to pass through water like this and stir it up and make waves.

Pacific Joule set to stay a number of days with Clyde on his watch.

Looking across Calamity Bay to the Islets and rocks on the bays northern most shore.

With sea and sky conditions like this, tough to see where they meet, so ends the first day.

June 17, 2011 Up and out early, traveled in the inflatable north to about half way across Calamity Bay and started beach combing working our way south. Lots of plastic mostly drinking water bottles. Some weather moved in by the afternoon bringing with it some wind and rain, the swells have come back and on them about a two foot chop, the sea scape looks as per usual for out here.

In the morning just after we have left Pacific Joule, the ocean back to that eerie calm.

The branch seems to suit this eagle as he sets his wings in the drying pose.

A little later on photographed the same eagle again still trying to dry out his feathers.

Looking southeast across Calamity Bay. The swell has started to build but still no wind.

The chop has arrived with showers now and again.

Clyde in his usual pose with Paxton with his tongue hanging out wondering how much farther we are going to go, when do we get to the beach?

June 18, 2011 For lots of reasons I have started to try to improve the photos I take when out. Lately there have been times I have switched from taking some photos when out, to going out to take some photos. Following the advice and tips from the web-site of the legendary writer & photographer Thom Hogan, taken some ideas and tips from the renowned writer & nature photographer Moose Peterson. Purchased some photography magazines and a book on my latest camera.
For the trip 'Spring on the North Coast' I purchased a new camera, a Panasonic DMC-TS3, giving me the ability to get shots under water. In May I purchased a Nikon D7000 and since added some lenses and stuff, still trying to figure out what all the buttons, knobs and dials are for. I enjoy taking photos and could very likely be hooked.
I feel some of the following photos represent some of the best I have ever taken, still there is lots of room for improvement. Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip as much as I did getting the shots.

King Fisher using our shore line as a perch to watch for his dinner.

Did not take him long from his new vantage point to be successful.

Looking south west from the rocks of south Calamity Bay.

Same Bald Eagle that allowed me to photograph him when he was soaking wet.

I think I have been spotted.

Rock, Ocean & Sky off Calamity Bay.

Islets south of Calamity Bay.

If you look closely at this eagles eye and then switch to the next photo of him you will see him close his inner eyelid. The inner eyelid is called nictitating membrane.

Inner eyelid closed.

Looking west at rocks off Calamity Bay.

Looking South towards the west shore of the Estevan Group with setting sun behind me.

Landing gear down with focus on the spot.

Starting to open the talons.

Froze just before touch down. Even with talons like that it requires full attention and focus to land on the branch.

These eagles seamed not to mind having their photos taken.

June 19. 2011 With sunny skies and a calm ocean made the run in the inflatable to the north shore of Calamity Bay about five miles.

Looking south towards the Estevan Group from the north shore of Calamity Bay.

North shore of Calamity Bay.

Powerful storms and high tides have pushed up the logs and rocks like this.

Hard to believe that glass balls could survive intact coming ashore here.

But they do, and wait patiently for some lucky beach comber to find them.

As found, did you see it in the previous photo?

Number two was under the chunk of Styrofoam.

The Holly Grail of beach combing finds. Glass fishing floats from distant shores. They can travel for thousands of miles on the ocean currents.

Looking towards the north shore of Calamity Bay.

Sunset over Calamity Bay. Glass balls one of the countless jewels you may find when out here, but just being here is the crown.

Towards the north shore of Calamity Bay.

Calamity Bay.

Unusual rock formation, caused by the earths crust being driven deep under ground where it is softened and blended with different types of rock then returns to the surface.

June 20,2011 Today we traveled to the Islets and rocky shores of the unnamed bay north of Calamity Bay.

Point just north of Calamity Bay.

Looking north to Terror Point.

Shore of west coast of Banks Island.

Shore of west coast of Banks Island.

This is an unusual little nook, as what ever seems to enter it does not get the chance to leave. There seems to be rings of similar things that have been trapped and built up over the years. The first forty feet or so I could find no evidence of anything man made. Then there is a band of wood that contains some hand sawn boards and a couple of logs with holes in them as used for boom sticks. You can see one of the boom stick ends with the bored hole in it about photo center. After that there was a band with glass balls in it about thirty feet wide. I found nine glass balls in this band when I first visited this bay about twenty five years ago. Then there is a large band that contains plastic floats and large balls and Styrofoam.

From the entrance looking back into the nook.

The latest debris to become trapped in this little nook, appears to be some sort of specialized buoy, complete with solar panels.

The entrance to this little nook.

June 21, 2011 Short run to the south to comb the shores of the Breaker Islets, Laithwood & Man Islands.

I love the colour of this photo or the lack of it.

Looking south across Otter Passage to Trutch Island.

More of that unique rock formation.

Breaker Islets.

South shore of Calamity Bay looking north.

View to the north west from near Otter Passage.

June 22, 2011

Looking across Otter Passage to Trutch Island from Man Island.

View of Laithwood Island from Man Island.

Man Island.

From Man Island looking across Calamity bay to its north shore with that unique layered rock in the foreground.

Man Island.

Laithwood Island.

Paxton lends a paw to help for scale, for the depth of the erosion of some of that unique rock found in this area.

The Only Mate has put together some of the beach combed treasurers to decorate our dash.
Two old wooden seine net floats, six early gill-net floats, various shells, small blue plastic foreign floats, eagle feathers, of course the two glass balls. Not seen the fresh ocean air, consent movement from the swell, sounds from the environment, the bite of the black fly’s.

Looking across Squally Channel to the East shore of Campania Island, with Fin I. Photo left and Otter Channel photo right.

Evelyn Creek, Danube Bay, Hawkesbury Island.

June 23, 2011 We have moved Pacific Joule from Banks Island to Danube Bay on Hawkesbury Island North east end of Verny Passage.

Danube Bay Hawkesbury Island.

Evelyn Creek Danube Bay.

Evelyn Creek

Evelyn Creek

South Kitsaway Hawkesbury Island.

North Sue from Loretta Island.

June 24, 2011 Pacific Joule is now anchored in Eagle Bay off Amos Pass across from Coste Island.

All this water goes under a solid rock bridge. Unnamed Creek on the East shore of Eagle Bay.

This does not show it well but the water boiling up in front of the rock has traveled under the rock that forms a natural bridge.

Another shot of that natural rock bridge that this stream passes under.

I have decided to add another category to this thread , Flowers along with the under water shots.

Indian Paintbrush.

Indian Paintbrush.

Buttercups.

Not sure as what this flower is, what do you think?

Another flower I do not know what the name is, do you know?

Now under water section.

Rock weed

Hooded Nudibranch free swimming.

Hooded Nudibranch free swimming

Giant Green Anemone.

Giant Green Anemone.

Giant Green Anemone.

Ochre Star.

Two Ochre Stars holding arms, Giant Green Anemone.

Snails on algae. Sounds like a fancy French dish.

Banks Island, Calamity Bay has been another marvelous trip for us. Glad you took the time to come along, thank you.
Safe and Happy Boating Pacific Joule.

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  15:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kinda boat is that?

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  16:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Skeeter has some competition for incredible Pic’s
Which is a good thing ;-)

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  16:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can answer that for you, Ray. Same as mine!

Commander 30. Built in B.C. for fishin' 'n cruisin'. Twin diesels at 200hp or better will get you 31.5 knots when you're loaded up to start the summer. Pacific Joule and Stalwyn know their way up and down and around the Inside Passage.

Alan is going to teach me to take better pictures, one summer soon. Shall I book you for Blind Channel next summer?

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

AbsoLoot

RO# 3617

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  23:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic pictures .... looks like a wonderful trip, thanks for sharing with us all!

Blue Skies,
Dave

As light fades, vision increases
Blind people have vision!

Homeport: California Delta & SF Bay Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  19:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't take that kinda cold... Been in the South too long.
Beautiful pictures.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

Riverbed

RO# 19680

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  07:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing trip and photos - thanks for sharing!

Homeport: Saco/Old Orchard Beach, Maine Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: North and East of Port Hardy Topic Next Topic: Southern Gulf Islands trip  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.56 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com