BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 185 ]  [ Total: 192 ]  [ Newest Member: colrhino ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Cutlass Bearing removal tool
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fuel Line Shutoff Valves Topic Next Topic: Spacer blocks  

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - May 16 2011 :  09:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to remove my cutlass bearing without removing the shaft. Yesterday, I created a home made tool, similar to "strut pro".

Here are the original parts, I had to switch the slotted flange with a custom made steel plate.

MyStrut Pro in action...notice the black pipe and if you look closely, I used washers as wedges to keep the pipe riding against the housing of the strut.

Like a newborn through the birth canal, you can see the brass sleeve of cutlass bearing poking out. Also, the rubber is exposed, the reason for replacing.

All-in-all, it took about three hours to make this and cost me very little. I'm fortunate to be part of a working club with access to the tools and skilled people.
Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - May 16 2011 :  14:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job! How long did it take you to replace the bearing including removing and reinstalling the prop?

2006 Meridian 341 Sedan Bridge
Obsession

Newport Yacht Club, Jersey City, NJ

Flotilla Commander USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 42 1SR

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page

BornToBoat

RO# 17774

Posted - May 16 2011 :  14:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool! You should rent it out. :)

Rob
"Rola Roma"
1997 Sundancer 330, 7.4 IB
Anchorage Yacht Club
Lindenhurst, NY

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - May 23 2011 :  15:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I went through this I cut the old bearings with a sawzall and then pressed them in with a single bolt. A little superlube on the washers kept things spinning easy.
I like the contraption!

We were going to do the bearings on Freedom last year but the aft struts are shouldered.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - May 23 2011 :  15:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boatbum

When I went through this I cut the old bearings with a sawzall and then pressed them in with a single bolt. A little superlube on the washers kept things spinning easy.
Do you suppose doubling two of the slotted flages front to back would have worked out?
I like the contraption!

We were going to do the bearings on Freedom last year but the aft struts are shouldered.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Fuel Line Shutoff Valves Topic Next Topic: Spacer blocks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com