boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 22 | Guests: 218 ]  [ Total: 240 ]  [ Newest Member: Auto1bxf ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 oil not getting to rocker arms
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Kohler diesel generator will not start. (solved) Topic Next Topic: Has anyone tried a wireless, windlass remote ?  

doug263

RO# 19599

Posted - May 17 2011 :  22:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I have a 1988 sundancer with twin 454s. I was hearing a tic so I pulled off the valve covers to check the rocker arms. I notice on the port engine oil was coming out of the little hole at the top of each push rod so that the rocker was oiled at all times. The other engine is totally dry on the rockers. Even when I give it a little gas there is still no oil that shoots out any of the push rods on the starboard engine. The port engine shoots out a good 6 to 8 inches. Oil preshure is good on both engines. Any clues why no oil on the starboard? Thanks
If it wasnt for beer, I would sell my boat!

Homeport: Wilmington, NC

bobalong

RO# 19429

Posted - May 17 2011 :  22:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the resident gear heads should be here soon. . . .stand by.

Homeport: Sutherrrn Indianannna Go to Top of Page

Cpt. Harold

RO# 29184

Posted - May 17 2011 :  23:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have good oil pressure? Ok.
The Mark IV Chevy Big Block (Your 454) lifter oil galley gets
its oil from a small groove located on the rear cam bearing.
That is the only "central" place I can think of that could
block oil flow to all your rockers if it is plugged by gunk.
Not easy to check and fix I'm afraid.
Good Luck.
H

Edited by - Cpt. Harold on May 17 2011 23:29:56

Homeport: Boqueron, Puerto Rico Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - May 18 2011 :  01:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the rear cam bearing is the central oiling supply for the whole engine. From there, it supplies oil forward to the cam bearings and down to the main bearings. The lifter galleys feed from the ends of a 'V' galley from the rear cam bearing and forward to each lifter. Worn lifter bores can loose oil downward instead upward toward the pushrods. It's also possible to have the lifter galleys clogged or even the lifters themselves clogged but rarely all of them at the same time.

I had that same problem on my small-block and tore the engine down and open all the galley plugs looking for the cause. I really couldn't find a cause. lifter bores were within specs. The only thing I could come up with was to put in a high pressure spring in my high volume oil pump. Normally, I would use the lower/normal pressure spring in the hi volume pump. I now have 40+ PSI at idle and 70+ PSI at cruise. This would normally bother me except I have a reason to that high oil pressure.

If you want, you can go thru the whole process I went thru prior to the tear-down.

First pull each pushrod and blow them out and look thru them to make sure they're clear

Second, pull intake and pull each lifter starting at the front and take them apart and clean in solvent. re-oil and set aside in order...Or buy a new set. (I did both). Check each lifter bore with a mic. When you get the rear lifter out. remove the dist and get a oil pump drive adapter to turn the oil pump with a drill. Put your finger down the rear lifter bore and spin the oil pump while you try to block the oil galley (5/16" oil feed bore) at the rear of each lifter. With feeling pressure, replace the lifter and go to the next lifter bore and do the same procedure to make sure there is good pressure. Also, watch for oil rising from the center of the plunger of each lifter(the oil supplies each push rod and rocker).

That rear lifter will let you know if oil is being supplied to the lifter galley. If you don't have good pressure there, you should pull the engine. There's really no way to clear a blockage without pulling the cam and plug to get at the rear bearing.

Oh, by the way, it's possible to have good oil pressure and have NO oil being supplied to any of the bearings...but it would take a complete blockage at the rear cam bearing.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

doug263

RO# 19599

Posted - May 18 2011 :  22:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So could it cause more damage? It sounds like Im screwed already. All I do with the boat now days is cruise from bar to bar. I do hear a knocking down deep in the engine. Just trying to get as much time as I can out of these engines.

Homeport: Wilmington, NC Go to Top of Page

kd3pc

RO# 14468

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can verify the oiling by putting an "oil pump drive tool" in a drill and running the oil pump. YOu should see the pressure build up quickly (assuming the pump is in good shape) ...
then do your troubleshooting...

then you can remove and replace the cam bearings,

it will ONLY get worse...these things never self heal or get better.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Cpt. Harold

RO# 29184

Posted - May 19 2011 :  15:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oil passage blockages are like high cholesterol.
The advantage the engine has over us is that it
can be disassembled and all oil passages cleaned
before it's too late.
When I mean dissasembled, I mean full disassembly
and cleaning of oil passages with the use of rifle
brushes with all oil caps removed, followed with
a mayor overhaul.
Good Luck,
H

Edited by - Cpt. Harold on May 19 2011 15:26:09

Homeport: Boqueron, Puerto Rico Go to Top of Page

Thudpucker

RO# 10503

Posted - May 19 2011 :  15:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The deep thumping you hear and the blocked rear Cam Bearing oil galley might be related.
This is a good time to investigate proactivly instead of after a Metal to metal incident has occurred.

You'd be surprised how quick n' easy that big hunk of Mexican scrap metal comes outta there. If you catch it early it's gonna be a lot cheaper than later.

Conservative in every sense of the word.

Homeport: AL. Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - May 19 2011 :  18:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, If the main bearings are worn enuff to leak out a lot of the oil, the rockers may get starved cuz they're at the 'far end' of the oiling system.

I tend to think there's a blockage or worn lifter bore allowing oil to drain out before it gets a chance to get to the rockers.

You mat be getting oil at an RPM that's higher than when you're watching it. In which case, you may get more use out of the engine. Either way, you have few choices so don't very far from your dock and run it easy and hope for the best.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - May 19 2011 :  18:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google a product called Auto Rx. Do your homework and see if it fits your situation. I have spoken to the inventor concerned about some shipping issues I had and some instruction changes that occurred over the years. He was very up front about both issues and made the shipping problem correct and provided free product to boot.

The product has worked wonders on my older autos.

My 2 cents.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Bradley

RO# 5358

Posted - May 19 2011 :  21:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has this engine had any significant work done on it recently as in my experince it would be unusual to get the symptoms you are getting if there is oil pressure, would normally get different amounts of oil at different points if this is a developing blockage issue. Sometimes these issues are created by parts from diiferent models of the same engine etc being different or incorrectly fitted? And these issues would potentially have different solutions.

Homeport: Fremantle Go to Top of Page

doug263

RO# 19599

Posted - May 19 2011 :  23:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No work has been done, but the boat sank last year and has been screwed ever since. I thought I could save the engines, but maybe not.

Hey that auto RX looks good, has anyone else used that product?

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - May 20 2011 :  06:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the oil pressure??

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

littlebookworm

RO# 27413

Posted - May 20 2011 :  07:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug: Your last posting expains a great deal. When a boat sinks, especially in salt water, all kinds of problems develop with everything mechanical and electrical. Doing an oil change and drying everything almost never takes care of the problems caused by water getting into places it doesn't belong. Frankly, you should have included that information in your original posting. Those engines need to be pulled and ripped down to see what actual damage you have. The one bad engine may need replacement because of crankshaft and/or camshaft damage. Using additivies in the oil or ignoring the sounds your engines make will not cure your problems; they may only get you stranded on the water. Take your time and do what has to be done to give you a safe, fun boat. Good luck. Hy

Homeport: Eastport, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - May 20 2011 :  08:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I was beginning to think we might have the first ever BE lube oil related engine failure but now it becomes clear that it is just another drowned engine.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

doug263

RO# 19599

Posted - May 20 2011 :  09:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I reckon I forgot to metion that! :-) Man I thought I was going to be good for a while. I was hoping to put the rebuild off till next year though. That is why I tought I would try that auto rx.

Previous Topic: Kohler diesel generator will not start. (solved) Topic Next Topic: Has anyone tried a wireless, windlass remote ?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.75 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com