BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: wlsomaha ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 Help Wanted and Position Wanted
 second try
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Job site for vets Topic Next Topic: Construction Project Managers Wanted  

defboat

RO# 9541

Posted - May 22 2011 :  10:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any suggestions on what to put on a job application when you have absolutely no experience?

After almost a year trying to find a full time admin / data entry / secretarial position in my area, I'm having no luck. I've decided to change directions and apply for any food / cafeteria type job in my area. I'm a great cook and love the atmosphere of a kitchen / cafeteria. Also, this would keep my weekends hopefully, clear for boating.

I need any advice or suggestions anyone can offer because most of the jobs require experience and I have nothing but 'life' experience in a kitchen.

Thank you!

Homeport: boats in New Castle, NH

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - May 22 2011 :  21:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have plenty of experience at a multitude of "jobs", you just haven't been paid for any of them!!!!

Besides cooking, I bet you have managed a budget; made purchasing decisions for [kitchen/household/???]. You may have managed the care and maintenance of appliances, vehicles, etc.

Have you taught anyone how to use a computer? How to use xyz software? By now you may be getting the idea.....

Also, you may have done a lot of volunteering. Think about those activities and work them into job descriptions. Focus on the skills you developed and used, not the "job" title or how much you were paid. Look for jobs which need those skills and create a resume which details these. Putting down volunteer work will not be discounted during an interview.

Also scan through info from Tory Johnson at this link and read what interests you. http://abcnews.go.com/gma/tory_johnson

Best of luck and have confidence in your abilities!!!! Don't sell yourself short and you will do GREAT!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - May 23 2011 :  07:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The above plus you could volunteer at a soup kitchen to gain direct experience and maybe network contacts.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

oneillch

RO# 30796

Posted - May 23 2011 :  11:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Flutterby says, don't ever sell yourself short. As a homemaker you have a multitude of experience. Take a look at any of the "entry level" posiitons on the job websites and pull out the "buzz" words in the descriptions. I'm sure that you have many of these "Skills and Abililities" that you could include on your resume.

GOOD LUCK and keep us informed.

Lady C

Edited by - oneillch on May 23 2011 11:34:35

Homeport: edison, nj Go to Top of Page

defboat

RO# 9541

Posted - May 23 2011 :  18:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flutterby

You have plenty of experience at a multitude of "jobs", you just haven't been paid for any of them!!!!

Besides cooking, I bet you have managed a budget; made purchasing decisions for [kitchen/household/???]. You may have managed the care and maintenance of appliances, vehicles, etc.

Have you taught anyone how to use a computer? How to use xyz software? By now you may be getting the idea.....

Also, you may have done a lot of volunteering. Think about those activities and work them into job descriptions. Focus on the skills you developed and used, not the "job" title or how much you were paid. Look for jobs which need those skills and create a resume which details these. Putting down volunteer work will not be discounted during an interview.

Also scan through info from Tory Johnson at this link and read what interests you. http://abcnews.go.com/gma/tory_johnson

Best of luck and have confidence in your abilities!!!! Don't sell yourself short and you will do GREAT!

Exactly what I needed - thank you so much!

After being Secretary (volunteer of course) for the Power Squadron for over 16 years, all during that time was volunteering for the pot lucks and being the social director, kitchen crew, etc., etc.

Thank you again. I needed to see it presented like this.

I love this website (when I have time to keep up with it)

BTW - the boat is splashing FRIDAY - YEAH!

Homeport: boats in New Castle, NH Go to Top of Page

BornToBoat

RO# 17774

Posted - May 24 2011 :  08:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to work for a staffing agency. I agree with the previous suggestions.

I suggest starting your resume with a "Skills" section. You can get creative and follow that with a Challenges and Resolutions section. Show some of the things you have been able to accomplish.

You are really in the same situation as a recent grad, only you are more mature. Your experience on interviews for the past year may give you valuable insight into how those companies you interviewed for work.

One very important insight. Everyone on a job interview claims that they are a "quick learner" when faced with a skill or experience requirement that they don't have. Hiring managers pretty much ignore the claims of a "quick learner". You have to substantiate the claim if you make it. For example, "I am a quick learner. I was helping a volunteer organization once, and there was no one there to process (whatever) on the ecomputer. I spent a bit of time navigating the system and was able to pocess (whatever), and I ended up training 3 other people on how to do it." You have to substantiate whatever you claim as a skill in terms that the hiring manager can see the value of you within their organization.

Good luck!

Rob
"Rola Roma"
1997 Sundancer 330, 7.4 IB
Anchorage Yacht Club
Lindenhurst, NY

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

oneillch

RO# 30796

Posted - May 24 2011 :  12:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your volunteering for the pot lucks and being the social director, kitchen crew, etc. showed that you had "Strong interpersonal skills" and "The ability to work in a team environment." DO NOT OFFER information that isn't requested, such as your age, the year you graduated or your salary. Stating that you worked at a volunteer organization immediately flags that you weren't paid. For example, you could list your job at the Power Squadron like this:

Power Squadron, New Castel, NH (1995 - Present)
Secretary responsible to.......

The point of the resume is to get you in the door for an interview. If you're at an interview and asked about salary, then you can let them know that was a position where you had the opportunity to give back to the community by volunteering and be sure to stress your importance and accomplishment within the organization.

Lady C

Edited by - oneillch on May 24 2011 12:31:28

Homeport: edison, nj Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  18:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
defboat, how's the job hunting going????

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

defboat

RO# 9541

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  11:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flutterby

defboat, how's the job hunting going????

Thanks for asking! I haven't had time to lurk at my fav website here. Two 'interviews' a phone one which never even got that far! She emailed back & sorry that she didn't call and I emailed back and said no problem, anytime, but nothing since! An interview last week and didn't get the job.

I'm with 6 agencies and tested at 77 wpm and data entry at 98, 99 and 100% accuracy and nothing, they all say basically the same thing, no jobs out there.

I have to start the 'food' resume and an RO here, in HR, said he would help and gave me some tips to start, but I haven't had time for the start yet. I will have to make time for that. No time for boating either between the weather, etc. But thanks for thinking of me!

Homeport: boats in New Castle, NH Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  18:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, best of luck. Keep on doing what your doing and stay positive. It isn't YOU, it's the economy. It takes hundreds of resumes, but only one "yes"!!!!! It will happen. I hope sooner rather then later, for your sake.

Visualize that perfect job; it will eventually happen.

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Previous Topic: Job site for vets Topic Next Topic: Construction Project Managers Wanted  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com