BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 197 ]  [ Total: 202 ]  [ Newest Member: john kalinowski ]
 All Forums
 Old Forums
 New York, New Jersey,
 Water Street Grill in Toms River
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Anyone on the water in South Jersey yet? Topic Next Topic: Gilligans  

oneillch

RO# 30796

Posted - May 24 2011 :  12:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baker's Lobster Shanty in Toms River was renovated and reopened early this month with a new menu and a brick pizza oven as the "Water Street Grill." Has anyone tried it?

Homeport: edison, nj

dominic

RO# 2355

Posted - May 24 2011 :  17:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried it 'yet'....but I will soon. I drove by on route 9 and saw a lot of boats there this past weekend. I have a feeling it's going to do well with the brick pizza oven.....I know I'll be there many a Friday in season....

later,
dominic

Homeport: Jersey Shore, NJ Go to Top of Page

oneillch

RO# 30796

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  13:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We finally tried the Water Street Grill, this past Sunday. We drove over and it's a good thing because their docks were full. It was OK. The clam chowder was Jack Baker's recipe (so good), but the fried fish and crab sanwiches we had were a little bland. There was a band in the back room, but you couldn't hear it because the radio in the front room was very loud...even had a hard time hearing my husband. I sound old, but we don't want to have to yell to have a conversation.

Lady C

Homeport: edison, nj Go to Top of Page

davefin

RO# 12602

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  13:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been there four times now. Two by boat, two by car. Very crowded and I don't know why.....the food really isn't that great. Pizza not bad though. Really hard to get a slip now compared to the past when the old name was on the building.

Davefin
"Always remember, you are unique....just like everyone else".

Homeport: Dillon's Creek Marina, Island Heights, NJ Go to Top of Page

dominic

RO# 2355

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  17:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went once by car. Food was 'ok' but nothing memorable about it. The back room was too noisey for me....I too don't like to have to yell to have a conversation.

I will try it again by boat and maybe just have some appetizers and a pizza....

I'll give it three strikes before I count it out......0 and 1 right now.

later,
dominic

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  17:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The owners wife happens to own/operate the local pizza place around the conner from where I live. I can print out this thread and share it with her if you would like. As boat owners she has told us about the place and indicated they really would like some feedback so they can make a go of it.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page

dominic

RO# 2355

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  18:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fine by me. My sentiments were shared by other locals I've spoken with who ate there on seperate occasion. While you're talking to them....also mention that the service was medza medz.

later,
dominic

Edited by - dominic on Jul 12 2011 18:15:40

davefin

RO# 12602

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  21:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ditto Dominics comments. Also, if they can relocate that Riverboat a little, about 30 feet, up the river they cam pick up about four more slips that are currently useless.

Davefin

dominic

RO# 2355

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  12:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While on the subject of docking....there is one T-Head dock and about 10 or so normal size slips with short fingers. The water in the normal slips is quite shallow so head in docking is recommended.

There is nothing more frustrating then when I get there with a 40 something foot boat and there are half of the normal slips open and a 19' bowrider tied up at the T-Head. It would be nice if the owner/manager where to put a sign on the T-Head that 'strongly suggests' only boats over 30 something should use the T-Head unless all other slips are full.....just a suggestion if anyone here were to be talking with the management.... :)

later,
dominic

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  16:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't be able to print this out and share it until next week but I sure will. Seems like all reasonable requests to me.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

Edited by - rommer on Jul 15 2011 05:58:05

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  18:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
That is great, feedback like this is precious to an owner of a business, as I know you get. Let us know how she feels about it and the changes she makes. Then hopefully the locals like Dom, will give better feedback and better yet, have a great place they want to eat at.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Crownline 242

RO# 21744

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  18:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New places are always trendy in TR. I went passed it the other day on my way to 7-11. I know it is not a criticism of the restaurant, but maybe rather a testiment to their recent success, but it seemed as though every wahoo on the river was there trying to dock. I saw three near misses, one that almost included me. A dock master is a must right now.

If docking is a problem, you can go another 50 yards down river and tie up to the bulkhead. There is a footbridge over the water so it does not matter which side. I did not see one boat that far up river, everyone was trying to kill themselves for a dock space. However, I would not do that with a boat over 30 feet as it is very narrow. Water is no problem

Edited by - Crownline 242 on Jul 15 2011 04:46:07

Homeport: Ocean Gate, NJ, Bayport, MN Go to Top of Page

Crownline 242

RO# 21744

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  19:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davefin

Also, if they can relocate that Riverboat a little, about 30 feet, up the river they cam pick up about four more slips that are currently useless.

They were not too useless to me one day. I got married on the River Lady

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  05:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to apologize as I have my marinas mixed up. Seems the local couple own a different marina in Toms River, Kettle Creek.

Sorry about that.

Any feedback on Kettle Creek Marina?

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

davefin

RO# 12602

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  17:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, another irresponsible boater overindelged at Water Street last night and caused havoc in the river after he left. He ran aground at goodluck point around midnight. A very large SeaRay is now high and dry and severly damaged. Don't know about the captain yet. There have been several of these on the Toms River lately. Make it stop. I don't feel safe even anchoring out at night on the upper end of Toms River anymore.

Davefin

Crownline 242

RO# 21744

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  06:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that Saturday morning. How do you know he came from Water Street? I assumed he was headed south down the bay at night and did not see the land mass. I do not see how he could have landed so far up on the bank if he was headed east

Edited by - Crownline 242 on Jul 18 2011 06:17:54

davefin

RO# 12602

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  07:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was anchored out in the Toms River that night with another boat. Our friends heard the shouting in CH 16 as he was going east on the river driving all over the place. One woman actually yelled at him....calling out his boat name. I believe he hit bow first very hard and flipped sideways. That would explain the stern first grounding.

Davefin

Crownline 242

RO# 21744

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  07:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I saw it, Tow Boat was already on the scene. I assumed Tow Boat spun it in order to pull it off easier.

Previous Topic: Anyone on the water in South Jersey yet? Topic Next Topic: Gilligans  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com