BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: mloustau ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 Sailboat on a lift
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Catamaran Charter in the Keys Topic Next Topic: Sailboat recommendation?  

JeffN

RO# 3672

Posted - May 31 2011 :  15:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can a sailboat, 26' be lift kept? Swing keel so no problem there. It's water ballasted so perhaps the ballast need to stay full for balance but it sits nicely on a trailer so maybe not...
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didnít understand the assignment, and I told them they didnít understand life. ~John Lennon

Homeport: Vero Beach FL

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - May 31 2011 :  16:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://airdock.com/frame_1.htm

scroll down to see a picture of a sailboat [picture #9 on the page]. "The Air-Dock Boatlift works with trimarans and retractable keel sailboats."

The owner is very helpful in answering your questions.

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

JeffN

RO# 3672

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  21:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Liz, found the same model that lived on a lift so it's do-able.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didnít understand the assignment, and I told them they didnít understand life. ~John Lennon

Homeport: Vero Beach FL Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  06:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sure, it is done often here

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  07:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not far from our marina is a 40 foot catamaran on a lift. If you can put that on a lift, no reason not to put a 26 footer on one.
I've seen a number of sailboats at least as large as yours on lifts.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Peleka7

RO# 691

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about any advantage of the air lift. Seems you will have a major problem with the air pontoons.
Another issue is you can't get to the hull bottom. Another issue is the boat hull will still get wet from even small wave action...growth and slime.

I guess it would keep the boat from sinking...unless rain filled the boat beyond weight capacity.

Somebody explain this to me as I don't get it.

Homeport: O'ahu Go to Top of Page

JohnC

RO# 204

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  15:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine has the air dock. This is his 4th or 5th season with it and no problems so far. The primary advantage in his case is it's not a fixed structure and doesn't require permits, so he's able to use it in his marina in a regular slip. It does keep the boat completely out of the water and no growth or slime.

Homeport: Long Island, New York Go to Top of Page

JeffN

RO# 3672

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  18:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was concerned about the mast and any ballast being out of the water. Seems like there'd be a big loss of stability especially ina water ballasted hull(sans water ballast).

Homeport: Vero Beach FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Catamaran Charter in the Keys Topic Next Topic: Sailboat recommendation?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com