BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: Voyager56 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Wellcraft Owners
 Reversing a tranny
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1994 Martinique 3200 engine hatch lift assist Topic Next Topic: Cabin door parts?  

The Vault

RO# 31317

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  07:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went with a engine upgrade this spring. The stock engines had the starboard engine counter rotating. They do not make these anymore plus it does not make much sense to run a motor backwards.
I installed two regular rotating engines. To get the counter rotating props I did this with the starboard tranny.
I flipped the pump and changed the linkage on the tranny to run in reverse when I put it in forward.
Does anyone have any expierence with doing this?
I was told by a few local mechanics that this has been done for the last ten years by marinas.

Homeport: OH

lobsta1

RO# 1808

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  09:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a mechanic but I think the reversing depends on WHAT tranny you are trying to reverse. Do it to the wrong one & you soon will be buying a new tranny due to overheating issues.
Al

1978 Bertram 33

Homeport: Beverly,Ma Go to Top of Page

The Vault

RO# 31317

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  10:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Borg Warner tranny.

Homeport: OH Go to Top of Page

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  06:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have Velvet Drive it won't work ....... for long. Counter rotation has to be done at the V Drive not the tranny. I had these same issues when I did my repower/diesel conversion.

I talked to both Borg and Walter and both told me the same thing and I ended up having to buy one new, counter rotating V Drive. The pumps on the tranny have to be indexed properly but you cannot run it in reverse without heating issues and serious damage.

Bob

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement
SSI Certified Instructor Level 1

Edited by - rnbenton on Jun 04 2011 06:20:12

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  06:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to ask this on the engines forum. Not really a Wellcraft issue and you will get a lot more response there.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

chriscraft67

RO# 12563

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  09:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob did a lot of research when he did his diesel conversion so I'd be inclined to take his advice. However, the poster probably doesn't have v-drives installed, so he can't reverse rotation there. When I look at the BW Velvet drive specs on a site such as Simplicity Marine's, all the 71 and 72 series transmissions show output shaft rotation same as input shaft rotation, except for 1.91 reduction ratio on the 71 series and 1.88 reduction on the 72 series. From the specs shown, it's impossible to determine whether those two specific transmissions can be reversed. I'm sure that Simplicity Marine or any other vendor who sells or rebuilds Borg Warner drives could answer the question.

The transmission questions aside, I'm a little puzzled by the poster's note that they don't make reverse rotation engines any more and that it doesn't make much sense to run an engine backwards. Among the marine GM V-8 conversions, there are lots of reverse rotation engines available and please don't tell my starboard engine that it doesn't make any sense to run backwards. It's been happily running in reverse rotation for almost 30 years.

Bill

Homeport: Norwich, CT Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  03:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to do a bit more thorough research before acting. Some transmissions can be used to reverse, some can't. Borg Warner is not a transmission, its a manufacturer. They make a number of transmissions, some can, some can't. The 71s and I think 72's can't. The 5000 series can. So I guess we hope you get lucky and have the right model. Here's the kicker, too. If you have to switch from a 71 series to a 5000 or something else that can reverse you better hope your engine bay has ample room because the transmission series have different down angles. Often with the more compact 71 series this means the top of the engine is now sitting above your floorboards.

You can still get counter rotating engines. They cost a bit more but are usually cheaper than buying a new transmission.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

mdoherty

RO# 12220

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  08:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be a stupid question from a single engine boater but wouldn't it be easier to change the prop's blade pitch. Doesn't anyone make a prop that goes the other way?

Mike

Homeport: Leesburg VA Go to Top of Page

bobalong

RO# 19429

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  08:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought for a minute this topic was about a sex change operation.

Homeport: Sutherrrn Indianannna Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  11:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mdoherty

This may be a stupid question from a single engine boater but wouldn't it be easier to change the prop's blade pitch. Doesn't anyone make a prop that goes the other way?

One of the positive aspects to having twin engines is having counter rotating props which is the whole point of this thread.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

bobalong

RO# 19429

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  13:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My HURTH transmissions are that way from factory. 1993's can't remember the model # 630 V I think.

Homeport: Sutherrrn Indianannna Go to Top of Page

The Vault

RO# 31317

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  12:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it has been about 10 hours of running in the last two weeks and so far so good. I have tranny gauges now, and while the tranny in reverse is a little warmer (10 degrees) I am not alarmed by anything yet.

I think I will run it for now and make a decesion towards the end of the season if it should be replaced.

Homeport: OH Go to Top of Page

JeffN

RO# 3672

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  21:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobalong

Thought for a minute this topic was about a sex change operation.

Could have led to a few untoward comments...

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didnít understand the assignment, and I told them they didnít understand life. ~John Lennon

Homeport: Vero Beach FL Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  18:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Borg Warner series 5000 came from the factory that way. Both my Crusader 454 XLs are standard rotation. One transmission runs in reverse.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  20:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Reversing a tranny"

Take his clothes away...

Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 1994 Martinique 3200 engine hatch lift assist Topic Next Topic: Cabin door parts?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com