BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: luna sea ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 442 silverton
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Blowers! Topic Next Topic: Silverton Refit and Repower Center
Page: of 2

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  10:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking to upgrade from a 30 ft sea ray to a 44 silverton. 442 cockpit with twin 502 crusaders 375 hp with 800 hours on it. The boat looks good and maintain well. Wondering if power is not enough and too many hours on these engine. I like to cruise around and put about 75 hours a year on it. I was wondering if anybody else as one of these.

Homeport: Georgetown,MD

nwaring

RO# 16045

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  12:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dock neighbor has the 442/444? cockpit aft cabin version with 502's Crusaders and it gets right up goes just fine.

Good luck
Niles

"Interlude"
87 Mainship 36DC
2006 22' Angler/225hp E-Tec

Edited by - nwaring on Jun 09 2011 12:32:15

Homeport: Ashtabula Oh - Punta Gorda Fl Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  14:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
800 hrs on Crusaders? Not a problem if well maintained. That's a question about the engines on any boat.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  07:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok doing some reseach on this model before anything with it but I can't get much information about it. There is not alot of them out there like the carver 404 caver aft cockpit or the 444 carver with gas or diesel.If any one out there has one or had one can help me out it will help.

Homeport: Georgetown,MD Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  12:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are other sources of info from owners of these models.

Ted Williams

RO# 22065

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  21:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Samuel, We have owned a 442 for about 6 years and love it. Great interior space and we love having a cockpit (we're both divers). We have diesels and have taken it to the Bahamas from NC 3 times, covering about 11K miles in the process. You can see pictures at www.island-passage.blogspot.com

Solid boat. Any specific questions? If you want give me a call, send an email at tedlw4210 at msn dot com

Ted

Ted Williams
Silverton 442 / Cat 3126's
Topsail Island, NC

Homeport: Topsail Island, NC Go to Top of Page

Bliss

RO# 2743

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  07:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 1996 S-ton 402. I believe it is the same boat without the cockpit. My 502s and everyone else's, it seems, burns about a quart of oil every 4 hours or so. No big deal. The Crusaders are great engines and the work space is reasonable. The Ford truck parts guy had the wires. I had to replace one of the Borg Warner Velvet drives. They both had a lot of gear lash. Check the rudders for leaking. I only mention it because it is a bear to repack the rudder posts. I could not get to the port one. I had to reseal a couple of the ports - very easy. If you buy join the S-ton on line club - lots of info and help. Good Luck.

Homeport: Reef Point Racine, WI Go to Top of Page

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  17:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted I would love to do what you did you are enjoying life. I think between diesels and gas engines a big difference. You run a diesel like it should run. Diesel engines need to be run not just sit at a dock. Gas engines is another story.

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  17:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I waited did some research and your better off with diesels. The guy was asking $99000 I see he raised to $119000.He can keep it too much for 96 gas engine it is worth about $80000 if that. I guess I will start looking again.

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  18:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have fuel injected 502 crusaders, I would think the ones you were looking at are carburetors, big difference on fuel consumption as well as performance. My boat, 2004 34C, 18,500 pounds dry, IMHO, is the biggest I would go (weight) having gas. My motors (400 hours) do not burn a drop of oil, well maybe a drop, but not enough that I need to add oil between oil changes, I also use synthetic oil.

I also agree with the post that stated gas would be good if you don't put many hours on the boat or you do short hops. Diesel needs to be ran and ran hard, if not, maintenance will be more costly and it is just not good for that type of power. Diesel has the longevity factor, but as Greg mentioned, 800 hours on a well maintained Crusader motor is no problem, still plenty of life.

As far as the boat manufacture,Silverton, IMHO, one of the best values out there!!!! They build a great, smart boat, and the peripherals (pumps, hardware, etc) are the same as much more expensive boats (Searay, Cruiser Yachts, Regal, etc).

Your in a buyers market, good luck with your search.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  22:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'96 442 Silverton worth $80,000?????? You got to be kidding me. They're not giving these boats away yet. It's a good deal at 119 if well maintained.

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  07:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At 75 hours per year it will take a lifetime to make up the cost differential for diesels. As long as you are not going beyond hull speed, the fuel consumption will be fine. Bump it up to "XX" knot cruise and you are going to be burning some serious fuel. But then again, it will be years before you hit the cost of a diesel.

A fellow on my dock has a similar setup (502's) in his Carver 44 CPMY. He can put that thing through the eye of a needle with no problem.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  08:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were asking $99,000 then they raised it to $119,000. The boat needs work. You need to put $20,000 into it so guess what it is worth $80,000

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  14:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In your first post you said "looks good and maintained well". Which is it? If it is, it's worth a heck of a lot more than 80K. Doubt you'll find that year and model for 100K.

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  17:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a closer look after the first post.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  18:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so you think you'll find a clean , well cred for 442 for 100K????? Good luck. What year and model Searay do you have now?

Edited by - Gregory S on Jun 21 2011 18:06:31

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  18:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1988 30ft sea ray sedan 960 hours I repair and replace things as I need too over all I give it a 7, 10 being the highest. That is the problem with people who want to sell there boats they stop taking care of it. I have owned this one for 5 years I need to go a little bit bigger.

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  06:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update After doing alot a research on what I really want, the 442 silverton was to big. Also this one was not taking care of at all, he had a contract on it and it fell threw. When I saw the deal fell threw I went down and took a closer look. The selling price went back to $89,000. It look like more of a headache than what it is worth. So I started looking for what is the best deal I can get out there. It is really a buyers market.I decided to sell my Sea Ray sold it in 5 days got the right person and my price. I was lucky on that deal.

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  21:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]I decided to sell my Sea Ray sold it in 5 days got the right person and my price. I was lucky on that deal.

Did you use a broker or list it somewhere? 5 days is great.

Now the fun begins,
MJK

2003 Cruisers Yachts 3372
"Party of Five"

Homeport: Stony Point Bay Marina, NY - FKA "D" Dock Go to Top of Page

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  04:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a broker wich work out great they handle everything.

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  20:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 30 year old engines that don't burn a drop of oil.
1 qt. every 4 hours is excessive.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  21:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Samuel - you should look at billy III's boat belw.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  20:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 442 is a larger boat than my Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge. However I don't burn a drop of synthetic oil between changes. My engines are new modern (496) 420hp 8.1L HO's fuel injected. The boat is listed in the classifieds and is for show almost anytime. Mainship and Silverton are made by the same people and factory.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Edited by - Billylll on Nov 20 2011 22:34:39

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  04:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the next one to be a fresh water boat, I'm going to stay away from salt water ones if I can. I am looking around north of the chesapeake bay. You be surprise how many boats are for sale. The one guy saying they are not given boats away I guess he has not shopping around much. Like I said it is a buyers market not a sellers.

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  05:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by samuel

I like the next one to be a fresh water boat, I'm going to stay away from salt water ones if I can. I am looking around north of the chesapeake bay. You be surprise how many boats are for sale. The one guy saying they are not given boats away I guess he has not shopping around much. Like I said it is a buyers market not a sellers.

A salt water that has been take care of & updated is much better than a fresh water boat that wasn't

At least on the east coast if you getting into larger inboard powered boats, most will be salt water boats

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  12:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 40 Mainship Sedan Bridge is in Brackish water and the cooling system is really not a big issue it is what I call half fresh water all the internals are closed cooling only the risers/exhaust are cooled by raw water. My hp mentioned above was wrong they are 420hp fuel injected per side.
Motors, transmissions and V drives were replaced/upgraded with new not remans in 2007-2008 over the winter layup.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  18:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If only your risers and exhaust are raw water cooled Bill, you have a full fresh water cooled system. Samuel, they were/are always giving poorly maintained boats away. If it is as bad as you say for sellers, why is it taking you longer than 4 months to find your new boat?

Edited by - Gregory S on Oct 31 2011 18:31:44

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  03:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregory I have a story to tell you. A person was buying a boat just like yours it was a 96 31 silverton.
The person was having it surveyed, when that person saw mine for sale that person dropped the sale on the silverton and bought mine. I sold mine in 5 day's at my price. I guess the silverton model you have has no room in it like the 30 ft sea ray sedan. Like I said I sold it in 5 days I had 3 other buyers who wanted to. Bill boat is nice but not for me why don't you sell yours and buy his. I looked at alot of silverton they are nice boats but some of them are not for me. Yours is one of them.

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  05:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by samuel

Gregory I have a story to tell you. A person was buying a boat just like yours it was a 96 31 silverton.
The person was having it surveyed, when that person saw mine for sale that person dropped the sale on the silverton and bought mine. I sold mine in 5 day's at my price. I guess the silverton model you have has no room in it like the 30 ft sea ray sedan. Like I said I sold it in 5 days I had 3 other buyers who wanted to. Bill boat is nice but not for me why don't you sell yours and buy his. I looked at alot of silverton they are nice boats but some of them are not for me. Yours is one of them.

Sam
I don’t understand the point of your last post?

You start this thread with:

I'm looking to upgrade from a 30 ft sea ray to a 44 Silverton
yet your profile says you have a 2002 50’ boat?

You state your looking for a 40’+ gas powered boat & you say it turned out to be not as you expected and the seller is flip-flopping on the price

You say you sold your 1988 30’searay sedan in 5 days & that it’s condition was a 7 out of 10
BTW-you never stated the sell price- yachtworld has your make/model/year with asking prices from $3.5K to $60K
Most of them in the $15-20K range & there are tons of them-
it would be safe to say that these boats at a ‘7’ condition can be picked up for about $15K

Your now bringing up ‘stories’ about how your buyer was buying a boat that you say is like Gregs but was smaller, different year, Huh?
It was 8 years newer than yours but you never stated the sell price? I assume it was more than your 23 year old Searay?
The few I found on yachtworld were asking $40-$80K- 2-4 times the asking prices of your searay
Maybe they were just cheap and went for a cheaper boat?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  07:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 312 silverton and the 305 sea ray sedan were going for the same price. What they are asking for and what they sell it for is a different story. I seen people who are asking $100,000 for there boats and sell it for $50,000. It is a buyers market what I was asking for and what I sold it was a $2,000 difference. I was lucky I did not take a big hit. Like you you paid alot of money for yours when you sell it I bet you you will take a big hit. I'm looking for a newer bigger that is worth about $150,000 and buy it for $75,000 and I will get it. When I'm looking at boats and people are asking a lot of money the boats that I look at look bad. I will find a nice one at my price.

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  07:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That profile is wrong I tried to change it but I can't. A 50 footer I wish I could not afford it anyway.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  19:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off Samuel. I don't own a '91 Silverton 312. That's really a 29 foot sedan. I did at one time own a 31 convertible. Much different bot than a 312. The 31 C is about 35'LOA with stright drive inboards under the salon. Much bigger boat than the 312. My boat is a 1994 34 Covertible, 39.4' LOA. 13.10'Beam with twin 454 Crusder st inboards that are now happily fresh water cooled. So, what's your point? Good luck with your search for a fire sale. I hope the boat you buy for half it's value proves to bea smart buy. Really. As far as my 34 C not having the room inside like your 30' Searay,are you kidding or what? Ever been on a '91 or newer 34 C? You could probably put your Searay in my V Birth!

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  04:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really don't care what you own I look at your boat a friend of mine had a 1996 36c. It was a loud boat , gas eaters, and ugly. If you are comparing silverton with sea ray good luck. In my opion they both made good boats there is a lot out there. There is no thing as a cheap boat it is how a person takes care of it. I have seen real old ones look really great no matter what brand it is, and I have seen new ones that I would not want free. Like I said it is a buyers market out there and I will find one at my price. I am looking at a 2000 to2004 either 352 or 392 aft cabin around $65,000.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  18:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with that. By the way. Silverton didn't make a 36 C in 1996. You need to do your brand research a little better or somebody is going to sell you a boat that isn't what you thought it was. You don't think a 352 or 372/392 isn't going to be a gas eater? Ever run one? Ever been on one? You might be looking "for", doubt you are looking "at", at that price.

Edited by - Gregory S on Nov 03 2011 18:47:14

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  20:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very amusing thread :)

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  21:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The market is bad he might get his boat who knows? Good luck I hope you find the boat you want at 50% off asking price. I know I am looking at a replacement but I want a different hull style hopefully a single or dual screw diesel trawler.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  00:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup, watch out Walter, you have an ugly, loud boat and it'e really only worth 1/2 the book value!

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  04:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill I have been looking at 34 to 44 for about a year you be surprise what people are selling boats for. Yachtworld is a great site but what they are asking and what they are getting is a different story. When I finally make my deal I need the right one because I will be stuck with it. Alot of people are getting out of boating, but my wife and I are looking for a perfect boat for us and how we will use it. A 44 was just too big I am leaning more to a 352 with a oval lenght of 41. I like to get aft cabin more room. When I sold mine we were both in shock because we did not have a boat. Walterv looks like you have a 2000 or newer version of 34 or 36 c they are sharp looking.That older style silverton 1994 to 1997 were just ugly looking. I look at couple aft cabin in that year and it was just like a cheap boat put together. When you sell your boat Bill and start shopping around you will be surprise whats out there.

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  07:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sam, you first said that you got what you were asking for, then you said that you got $2000 less, which was it? How much did you sell for? Was it 50% off of you listing price?

You should do your homework and find out what year Silverton changed its styling before you continue to insult others.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  07:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sold it at $2,000 off my list price I am happy with my deal. I have owned my sea ray for 5 years, what I paid for it and what I sold it was $8,000 difference. All I did to it was regular maintence and little change to it to make it look better. Your Trojan should be called a carver-trojan. Carver build your boat. I look at alot of boats of course buying a silverton is not my first choice. I am leaning more to carver yachts.

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  08:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, my boat is a "Trojan 440 Express by Carver"

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  08:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When a person who loves boating like I do the boat you have is worth alot of money to that person. But when a person just gets tired of boating which usely is about money on the expense of keeping a boat it is another story. When you have to dish out $10,000 to $20,000 a year for slip,winter storage, winterize, fuel, food, beer and all the unexpecting things that can happen. I did keep a paper trail on my expense but I quit that after 2 years. We did not even put the loan and insurance on it that person who is tired of it will gladly get rid of his boat. That's the person who is going to take a hit. He will get back what he lost in 2 to 3 years.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  09:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ouch, Now I have an ugly boat too Walter. Guess he doesn't appreciate classic lines.
Samuel, you told the guys over on the Carver forum that you have a Carver 356 and asked about information on moving the salon couch. Your "inconsistencies" on the forum are starting to catch up with you. troll lights are starting to flash.

Edited by - Gregory S on Nov 04 2011 10:22:48

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  10:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I was trying to get 4000 hits but I guess I got caught.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  10:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guess you did. Is your real name Bob, and do you have a bow rider you want to take to Block Island?

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  10:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have something against Block Island.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  10:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nope, not Block island.

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  13:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to step into the quagmire of some of the discussion in this thread but I will say this- the differential between asking prices and actual sold prices is staggering and eye opening. The numbers contemplated in this thread are not outside the realm of reason for a gas powered 442 of the referenced vintage is not outside the realm of reason, crazy as that may sound.

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  14:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the OP were really looking, but I think he's come here to bash a particular brand. Too many inconsistencies in his posts. Like owning a 356 Carver over on the Carver forum.

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  14:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silverton makes a great product so nothing to bash there!

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

samuel

RO# 15062

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  16:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not bash any boats what I said your model and year were gas eaters and loud. In my opion your year boat was ugly no different than a carver mariner is a ugly boat but they sold alot of them. When I started this I was really looking at a 442 silverton with a trade the numbers did not work, I'm glad of that. Then I started to look at the 352 and 392 silvertons found a real nice one but the time I decided to do something it sold. So I decided to sell my Sea Ray and it went to fast . So my wife and I started looking and we found one, in 23 days I sold one and bought one. I kept this going because Gregory thinks he no's eveything about the market which he doesn't. Oh I found want I wanted and got it close to my price. So if you in the market of buying a boat you will be surprise what you can pay for it.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Blowers! Topic Next Topic: Silverton Refit and Repower Center  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.56 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com