BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 Hunter 376
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A big, badwater, what if? Topic Next Topic: Catamaran Charter in the Keys  

Summer Storm

RO# 29233

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  15:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

Any comments from ownership or direct experience with a Hunter 376?

Homeport: Sheboygan, Wisconsin

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  15:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Summer, you have a PM.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Summer Storm

RO# 29233

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  16:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi CWMS,

Since I'm not a full member it shows 0 PM's in my inbox. Feel free to email me directly at hhyachts at yahoo dot com.

Thanks and I look forward to your email.

Homeport: Sheboygan, Wisconsin Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  17:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot about you not having an anchor. You have an email.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Seadaddler

RO# 31074

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  19:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Hunterowners.com for so much info from many owners

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

rregge

RO# 10068

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  16:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had a Hunter 376 for 12 years. It was our first boat and kept us safe and sound on our travels.

The sail plan is very agressive...the main is very large and powerful. We reef at 15-18 knots. The good part of that is you can sail win 8 knots without a problem.

We sail in Rhode Island and while we do sail mostly in the bay we have taken 3-4 trips to Nantuckett, 4 trips to Block Island, trips to Marthas Vinyard, Mystic CT and Long Island.

The layout down below is great for a famialy of 5 with guests.

We have seen our fair share of wind and waves. We have taken 8-10 footers on the nose and stern without issues. Thoese same waves on the beam make the crew unformortable/sick.

We have been caught out in big wind. Remember to reef early and often. One reef in the main takes care of thing until 25 to 30knots, after that it time for the second reef. We have been out in 30 knots with gust to 40+ (including a monster that reginstered 62) without any problems.

At the same time (in my opinion) this boat may not be your first choice if you are going to sail around the world. It isnt as heavy and the interior is too open for major ocean crossing. However for what we use it for she is great. True ocean boats need 25knots just to get moving.

Homeport: Wickford Go to Top of Page

Summer Storm

RO# 29233

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  19:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks rregge for your input, it runs in line with everything we've read so far on the boat and we'll be taking a look at a few boats in the coming months. We're looking to purchase in the Spring of 2012 since we sail Lake Michigan we're looking at starting off fresh for the new year. Thanks again

Homeport: Sheboygan, Wisconsin Go to Top of Page

rregge

RO# 10068

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  11:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Summer Storm

Make sure to get an electric halyard winch...the main is big and with the dutchman system it takes a lot of work to rais the main...can be done...Ive done it...but at 55 I like to push the button instead.

Homeport: Wickford Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: A big, badwater, what if? Topic Next Topic: Catamaran Charter in the Keys  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com