BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 '04 Meridian 381 opinions & experiences
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Spotlight replacement Maxum 4600 SCB Topic Next Topic: 3888-3705  

Fletcha

RO# 24981

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  19:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at an '04 381 (and an '05 Silverton 36C) to replace my '03 Carver 366. The layout and equipment, including the 8.1 Merc gassers, are what I want (and can afford), but I've found little information as to handling, including here on boatered and the Meridian owners forum. Of specific interest is how the boat handles 3-5' seas. My Carver does not have a fine entry and bangs in a head sea (trim tabs helped a little) and with a flat bottom it was pushed around in a beam sea. Any experiences from current owners would be appreciated.

Homeport: Charlestown, MA

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  08:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fletch,
If I was to get a Meridian 381 I would want it in Diesel, I have been on that boat and it is a lot larger than the Silverton (I own a Silverton 34/36C).
I cannot comment on the ride in rough seas on the Meridian but would assume based on the draft of that boat it would be similar to your Carver. The Silverton will easily handle 4- to 5 foot seas and will never bang. I have been in those seas with my boat.

I think it was late 2005 or early 2006 Silverton changed the layout of the bed in the master stateroom (made it a center line berth), this bed is way more comfortable and roomy than the one on my 2004, if the Silverton you are looking at does not have the center line berth, I would suggest finding one that does. The Silverton is a great boat, The Crusader motors are much better motors than the 8.1 Mercs in the Meridian.

As far as space, the Meridian is all over the Silverton. The Silverton that would compare to the Meridian you are looking at is the Silverton 38SB. Also, if you decide on the Silverton 36C, I would suggest the 8.1 motors, the small block option is not as good with following seas.

Both boats are nice boats but totally different, good luck with your choice. If you have any questions about the Silverton, just ask, I am on my 8th season with mine.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Victorias Secret

RO# 13316

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  09:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fletch I agree with Walter - to compare apples to apples you should look at the Silverton 38SB. Prior to buying our we looked at the 391 Meridian and they are very much the same size overall. Diesel power is also a better choice as you will burn a lot less fuel. Good luck with your search...

2007 Silverton 38 SportBridge Purchased New 7/09
Totaled by Hurricane Sandy 10-29-2012 RIP
2007 Sea Ray 44 Sedan Bridge Purchased 2-6-2013

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

jrill

RO# 30703

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  10:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope this question is in keeping with the original post. Victorias Secret, I am wondering if you would say why you went with the Silverton 38. The two boats on my very short list are the Meridain 391 or the Silverton 38 Sportbridge. I hope to get into a 2005 or 06 sometime between the summer of 2012 and winter of 2013.

Homeport: kenosha, wi Go to Top of Page

Victorias Secret

RO# 13316

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  15:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We liked the layout of the 38 SB better. Also with a young child I did not like how high up the dining table was in the 391 as it was a long drop to the bottom due to the extra steps going to the galley and the staterooms. I also like the fact that the helm is in the center of the bridge making it easier to see either side for docking. The 391 has it on the starboard side and it is hard to see the port side from there. Neither boat has a great view of the swim platform when you are backing into a slip, but as they say you do get used to it. I know this will get me a lot a grief from Meridian owners but in my opinion the Silverton is a better made boat, and will handle the ocean better. If you have any more specific questions let me know. Good luck in your search.

2007 Silverton 38 SportBridge Purchased New 7/09
Totaled by Hurricane Sandy 10-29-2012 RIP
2007 Sea Ray 44 Sedan Bridge Purchased 2-6-2013

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

jrill

RO# 30703

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  16:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks V.S. I have looked at a few Silverton 38 Sportbridges and really like them and have been leaning that direction.
Sorry Flecha for jumping or your thread. I hope there is information here that you can use as well.

JR

Homeport: kenosha, wi Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  17:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also will echo the fact that IMO, a Meridian in the 2004 to 2006 is of less quality than a Silverton. With that said, every year Meridian is better, I would think current models of Meridian are equal if not better than Silverton.

Another boat in that same class is Regal, the 3880 or current 40 you may want to look at that boat as well.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Fletcha

RO# 24981

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  23:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These responses are very helpful. The quality of my Carver 366 is fair, so I'll be very critical of the 381...I can't take a step back and frankly have a higher expectation of the 34/36C given what I've read here an elsewhere. I'll know in a week or so.

As to handling, I'm surprised to see a 10 degree deadrise at the transom for the 381...this is from two non-Meridian sources. If true, I expect rougher handling than my 16 degree 366 and the 34C (at 17 degrees). Any flaw in my thinking?

Though the 381 has me intrigued and I will certainly give it a good look, I'm leaning more to the 34C. I'd like to consider the 38C and 38SB, but the former has hull issues (I found walterv's earlier posts on this) in '04 and the later models are scarce...and the latter is out of my price range, even with gassers (which are fine for me given my ~50 hours annual use).

Walterv, the Silverton site suggests the change to a center bed in the master occurred in '07...out of my price range. As my wife sleeps like a rock and I'm up way before her, I think this is a compromise we can make ;)

I'd love to hear from 381 owners as to handling in rough seas...which for me is 3 to 5', where my Carver is no fun at all.

Homeport: Charlestown, MA Go to Top of Page

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  05:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being the buyers market that it is, you might hold out for the diesel and be able to put together a deal.

Lots of fiberglass is being sold, no disposed of at fire sale prices.

Add to that the season - we're going into the off season.

I'd bet you could nail a diesel with a clean offer and close just before winterization is needed.

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

eahearn

RO# 25723

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  09:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
34C deadrise is 13 degrees at the transom.

2006 Silverton 34 Convertible

Homeport: Portsmouth, RI Go to Top of Page

Salvatore356

RO# 32937

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  16:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks like a nice one.http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/Silverton-34C-2187694/Gloucester/MA/United-States

Homeport: NJ Go to Top of Page

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  05:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Compareed to an express, these boats have a great deal of "windage" which coupled with the mass displacement may push you into diesel territory.

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  08:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Original post is over a year old. Doubt it's still relevant.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

van lafermine

RO# 29446

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  13:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can comment a little bit on the Meridian. A good friend who we travel with almost every weekend has a 06' 391 with diesel. He runs well in calm waters but last weekend we went accross the Chesapeake in 2-3 ft. seas and he had to stop to put his canvas down. They were getting soaked. The boat runs fine in less than 2' but pounds a great deal and is extremely wet. My express cruiser in the same conditions had zero spray. I believe the deadrise makes all the difference in the world.

As far as room and comfort, awesome. The boat is great while sitting or away for any period of time. I believe the lack of deadrise throughout the entire hull is not deep enough to give a good ride but helps her interior volume. To use the owners words, Their teeth chatter when there is a good chop on the Bay.

Homeport: Grasonville, Md. Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Spotlight replacement Maxum 4600 SCB Topic Next Topic: 3888-3705  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com