BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 40 ]  [ Total: 42 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 Bowthruster in an '04-'07 34C
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 80s 34C info needed Topic Next Topic: 2001 35c Silverton, Bay Shore,NY $78,000  

Fletcha

RO# 24981

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  11:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at 34C's and noticed that none have a bow thruster....though the current 36C does show it as an option. Is the layout of the stringers and internal equipment such that a bow thruster is not possible with the 34C...or is it simply the case that most all 34C owners have passed on this option? I have and considerably use a thruster with my Carver 366 which has much more sail area...I'd like to have the option of adding it to the 34C.

Homeport: Charlestown, MA

JimPend

RO# 5022

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  18:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that a smaller boat (less than 50) really does not need one, I would just learn how to handle the boat, don't depend on a thruster, they are alot like training wheels on a bike. Just learn how to handle the boat.

Jim P.

Homeport: Port Clinton, OH Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  20:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
talk to Walter, he had a thruster installed in his 34 C several years ago.

Edited by - Gregory S on Sep 14 2011 20:32:09

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  21:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walter has bow and stern in his 34c

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

eahearn

RO# 25723

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  19:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a bow and stern thruster in my '06 34C. When it gets really windy, I feel I need them. No problems with installation.

- Ed

2006 Silverton 34 Convertible

Homeport: Portsmouth, RI Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  22:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem with installation, 2004 to 2006 thrusters will be accessed by little hatch in stateroom

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

JLC

RO# 18971

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  06:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimPend

I think that a smaller boat (less than 50) really does not need one, I would just learn how to handle the boat, don't depend on a thruster, they are alot like training wheels on a bike. Just learn how to handle the boat.

Many boats may not need one but many boat operators do!

I could actually use one on my 22 ft Chris Craft. I can turn my 34 Sundancer around on a dime with the twins w/shafts and could back it into a slip drunk in a hurricane.

The 22 CC with single 5.7 / outdrive is a handful backing into it's narrow slip and if it's windy out it's crazy.

I know the OP's boat are twins but if docking his baby with a the help of a bow thruster makes it easier for him then I would of course say "yes great idea".

I might install one on my 22 ft and my 33 ft sailboat. The Sea Ray ...... I just don't need it but someone else may.

Saftey first pride second.

Homeport: Mystic, Connecticut Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  18:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a bow thruster in my 40 Mainship Sedan Bridge. When it gets really windy it does help. When I damaged my shaft and props it helped the SeaTow boat swing me around 180 degrees in my side slip. The guy from SeaTow said he might not have been able to get me turned around without it in the wind. I don't use it all the time but it's a really nice feature even on twins depending on the boats wind catching ability.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Dusty Rhoads

RO# 10868

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  20:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were too late of a factory install, and went 5 yrs. without. Since we have one now, I try not to rely on it, but have been happy for the assist when needed. Our 43 is like a sail in the wind, and good stern torque, but bow will drift.

Dusty "Moon River"

Homeport: Annapolis, MD Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  21:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a 23' Maxum in my former marina with bow and stern factory installed thrusters. Go figure!

I do not have one on Saint Max but would have like to when I got pinned on a piling trying to dock over July 4th weekend...TWICE! Once pulling into my weekend slip by the tides in the Pagan River and once by the wind at another marina to get fuel to go home.

To me, it's like the Type IV PFD we are all required to carry. The odds on using it are slim, but you are glad you have it the one time your buddy falls over the side.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  23:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David my wife and I often talk about what we would do if one of us fell over the side. Using the thruster only to manuver the boat would be a safe way of moving the boat without rotating the props to recover a person. I use my thruster enough to know that it is reliable. I believe I lost a waterpump late yesterday and docking twins with a dead screw was a piece of cake with the bow thruster. I should say I think I lost the waterpump because the boat went into limp mode with alarms going off before any damage was done. When I started it this morning there was -0- waterflow out of the port motor. Tomorrow I find out what happened. We were cruising along at 22 knots when the alarms went off on the SmartCraft displays. I backed off and saw the internal water temperature at 213 degrees before shutting the port motor down. We came back in on the starboard motor at 5 knots. If it is the waterpump it is under the extended factory warranty. It is not the impeller they were changed and serviced this spring and wouldn't result in no waterflow out the exhaust port of the port motor. I lost no antifreeze, no exhaust tube damage, there are no leaks, drips and the serpentine belt isn't slipping or squealing. Maybe I sucked a plastic bag into the seacock? The engines normally run at 160 degrees. It kind of freaked me out the event happened so fast.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  15:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The port engine cooling problem was fixed today very strange the clamp where the rawwater cooling enters the heat exchanger broke and the hose poped off. Reinstalled hose, replaced the broken clamp, replaced impeller anyway (both sides) inspected other clamps in the cooling system and we are back up and running. I really like the SmartCraft system it won't let you destroy or damage your engines unless you work real hard at it.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  06:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to thrusters I wouldn't mind having a stern thruster as well like Walter V has. Since I went with VETUS up at the bow I would stay with VETUS for the rear thruster. A special note to anyone using a gas boat, the stern thruster needs to be ignition protected. VETUS makes a special enclosure for stern thruster use that complies with UL, ABYC and USCG as ignition protected.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Previous Topic: 80s 34C info needed Topic Next Topic: 2001 35c Silverton, Bay Shore,NY $78,000  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com