BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: luna sea ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 seakeeping of Maxum 4100 SCB - experiences please
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 3888-3705 Topic Next Topic: new meridian 391 owner  

Fletcha

RO# 24981

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  19:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm taking the counsel of those responding to my Meridian 341 vs Silverton 34C post on this forum to look more closely at a diesel boat. But given my budget I can't get a 34/36C with diesels...but I have come across the Maxum 4100 SCB, which I will board on Friday for the 1st time. Pascal's post from '07 (http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96263) spoke highly of quality & layout, but I've found little on this and other boards, including the maxim owners group, as to the seakeeping capability, especially in head seas....which is what had me favoring the Silverton's. Are there any 4100 SCB owners out there that can weigh in on this?

Homeport: Charlestown, MA

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  08:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't share any personal experience with this boat. But I did consider it closely when I was looking to move up from my old 30ft express. And I was somewhat like you... Searching for a good sea keeping diesel boat on a tight budget. I went another way in the end but everything I read about the 41SCB was very good. And it seemed like a LOT of boat for the money. Much bigger than either of the other two boats. And late 90's and early 2000's boats could be had for right around 100k. Maybe less, I never got that far.

We boat in similar waters and I too wanted a boat that could handle the wind driven chop and tight swells that are common in our neck of the woods. I think that the Maxum would handle better than either of the other boats just based on size and diesel power. I don't think there is anything about the hull design of either of the 3 that makes one better than the other. But weight, beam, and diesel do. I have been amazed at how important the constant strong tourque of diesels is, particularly in following seas. Based on what I know of the three boats (and I researched all three) I would gladly take the Maxum w/ diesels over the other two with gas. And you would still have money to spare.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

Fletcha

RO# 24981

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  21:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prospective, thanks for your reply...very helpful and appreciated. You're spot on as to pricing; '98 to '00 4100 SCB's have sold for an average of $99K over the last 2 years. I'll post back after a sea trial, presuming it gets to that point.

Homeport: Charlestown, MA Go to Top of Page

Fletcha

RO# 24981

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  22:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm long overdue in providing an update on my contemplated purchase; the 4100 SCB surveyed and trialed well and I completed the purchase the end of September. A brief trip in 3-4' chop before the season drew to a close suggest I made a good choice. I've taken on for the first time the winterization of all systems; prior posts on this board were invaluable in getting prepared...this is by far the best boating resource on the net.

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  04:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You were wise to vet the seakeeping abilities of the hull.

Something most folks do not do and end up with cocktail cruisers.

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

dl2525

RO# 31205

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  14:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcha

I'm long overdue in providing an update on my contemplated purchase; the 4100 SCB surveyed and trialed well and I completed the purchase the end of September. A brief trip in 3-4' chop before the season drew to a close suggest I made a good choice. I've taken on for the first time the winterization of all systems; prior posts on this board were invaluable in getting prepared...this is by far the best boating resource on the net.

Where are you located? If you don't mind me asking, what was the final purchase price? I love the look and layout of this boat. In my search I have heard some reviews that the boat is underpowered even with the diesels. I seem to remember cruise around 17 knots? What is your cruising speed?

Homeport: NJ Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  15:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were a Maxum dealer when these and the 4600SCB came out. They are both good handling and riding boats. I was genuinely impressed with them. They also have a comfortable and roomy interior.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  15:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve never own one but I have only heard good about them. Seems like a great value with diesels.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

Fletcha

RO# 24981

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  19:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DL...sorry for the late reply. I'm in Boston...happy to show you the boat, but I see you are in NJ. As to price, I don't mind you asking...we paid $124K. The 10 4100SB's sold in the last 18 months on the East Coast ranged $80 to 140K...quite a range, with an equally wide range of equipment, maintenance level, etc. We opted to spend on the high end for an extremely well maintained boat with light hours and new canvas/strataglass, electronics, etc. Unfortunately there were only 3 available between MD and ME. Yes, the cruise is 17.

dl2525

RO# 31205

Posted - May 02 2012 :  10:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for my 5 month late reply. I just found this thread again. Good info and good luck this season.

Homeport: NJ Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - May 03 2012 :  08:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great boat. For what it's worth I think you made an excellent decision. Even though I love mine, The size and space of the 4100 often makes me wonder what that would have been like. I'm sure you're getting excited to begin the season. If you make it down to buzzards bay let us know!

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Fletcha

RO# 24981

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  01:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prospective...we are heading down to Falmouth and Oak Bluffs this Fri through next Wed. If you find yourself in the area it would be great to connect.

The boat is thus far meeting my expectations, though the weather gods have been nice to us and we haven't seen more than 2' seas in Cape Cod Bay the 4 times I've been out of Boston Harbor this season. Our trip through Buzzards Bay over the next week may be our first real test.

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  06:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey fletcha. Hope your enjoying the boat. We were at oak bluffs earlier in the year. But right now we are on a 3 week odessey up the Hudson river to lake Champlain. See the thread in the captains forum for details. Will be back mid August. Enjoy the cape and islands! We were thinking of heading up toward Boston next year. Lets Stay in touch.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Previous Topic: 3888-3705 Topic Next Topic: new meridian 391 owner  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com