BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 Help Wanted and Position Wanted
 Finally landed a job-advice still needed tho!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: programmer jobs Topic Next Topic: IT jobs available at Gulfstream Aerospace  

defboat

RO# 9541

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  20:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a longer period of time than I care to remember, I finally landed a part-time job. The good parts: job is local, interesting (admin in general), stable, nice people, great hours, and will provide a little boat gas for what remains of our season here in Portsmouth.

The not so good: no medical insurance provided in a part-time job; which I knew of course, when I accepted the job, but a part-time job is better than no job!

Anyone have any advice on obtaining medical insurance for myself? The captain will be covered at HIS newly acquired job in 60 days. Thankfully, his job is full time with benefits after 60 days.

It will be prohibitively expensive to pay for any insurance for me through his company.

Any and all advice/suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

I'm scared to continue to be without health insurance.

Thank you all!

Homeport: boats in New Castle, NH

Golfman25

RO# 1239

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  21:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check with the major insurance companies in your state -- like Blue Cross, Aetna etc. Do a web search. Individual policies are not that expensive because they don't generally carry the mandates that group policies require. For example, here in IL individual policies to cover pregnancy -- that is a seperate coverage. Downside to individual polcies is they will usually exclude pre-existing conditions.

Also, check with your state. Most usually have some insurance programs, especially for those who otherwise can't get insurance. Good luck.

Homeport: Algonquin Go to Top of Page

Bill D.

RO# 150

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  23:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might move this into the NBR. I believe we have a number of insurance "experts" in there.
One cost savings I've used is the pre-tax medical saving account and high deductable insurance. Use pre tax dollars for normal care / doc visits, and use insurance if a majoe issue comes about. Helps alittle.....

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it." Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956)
PETA now selling "I hate Bill D." T-shirts

Homeport: Gulf Shores, Alabama Go to Top of Page

froggy3k

RO# 4247

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  09:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For short term I've gone with a major medical plan with a high deductible. They don't cover pre-existing conditions though. I believe it was about $800 for 3 months for a 49 year old male.

Homeport: Sunny SW FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: programmer jobs Topic Next Topic: IT jobs available at Gulfstream Aerospace  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com