boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 12 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: tburling ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 How to remove raw water pump 454 engine
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: winterizing question Topic Next Topic: Break-in for Upper Engine Rebuild?  

PatSea

RO# 12641

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  21:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1987 Mercruiser 454 that is overheating. I want to replace raw water impellor. Cannot figure out how to remove pump from engine. Need instructions. Has vertical bracket with 2 bolts which looks like it should come out but top bolt backs out into housing in front of it. Hope this makes some sense. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Homeport: Catawba Island, Ohio

meide

RO# 13472

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  22:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly it easier to remove the pump and the bracket as a complete unit, then take the pump off the bracket once they are outside the boat.

Mike

Homeport: Pasadena MD Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  22:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take the pulley off first. Should give you a better look at what needs to be removed. There are at least 3 versions of the same water pump with different means of attachment. (got 3 laying around)

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

The_Mayor

RO# 19101

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  06:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just did mine last week. You need to remove the bracket, and then remove the pump from the bracket. A picture would help because like what was said above, there are a fer differet styles.

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

The_Mayor

RO# 19101

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  06:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just did mine last week. You need to remove the bracket, and then remove the pump from the bracket. A picture would help because like what was said above, there are a fer differet styles.

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

lobsta1

RO# 1808

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  10:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually on my Mercs I have never had to remove the bracket. Take the pulley off first. Loosen the bolts & remove the bolt that secures the body clamp around the pump. (Hint: make a mark on the pump showing fore-n-aft alignment in the clamp). The top bracket bolt can be tight to access as it is behind the large hose. Use a large screwdriver to spread the clamp apart & pull the pump out backwards. I have full FWC if that makes a difference.
Al

1978 Bertram 33

Homeport: Beverly,Ma Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  13:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been quite a few years since I did this but......if you take braket & pump off engine & then you separate pump from bracket; it can go back on two ways. The right way & the wrong way. Wrong way will not suck water from thru hull. Don't ask me how I know. Mark before you separate.

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

PatSea

RO# 12641

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  08:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to get the pump assembly off the engine, replaced the impellor and pump assembly, and now the engine temperatures are fine. The impellor had all but 2 vanes stripped off. All of the impellor vanes were found and accounted for in the pump assembly. I actually bought and installed a new pump assembly which included the impellor, new plastic pump body, wear plate and bolts. Bought from WM.

The problem I mentioned in my initial post above was interesting in that the top bolt in the bracket would not come out because somone had previously used a bolt that was about 1/4" too long. The bolt head bottomed out against the hose inlet casting on the engine circulating pump before it was loose enough to allow the bracket and bolt to drop down. Someone prior to me must have installed it when the front circulating pump assembly was off the engine. To remove the top bolt I had to loosen the 4 bolts that attach the water circulating pump assembly to the engine by about 1/4". This extra 1/4" clearance was enough to allow the top bolt of the pump bracket to come out.

Placing the impellor in the body was not too difficult. I used dish soap as a lubricant and with a little playing around the impellor blades could be forced into the pump body. My marina mechanic told me it did not matter which way the impellor vanes were installed, that they would align themselves either way.

Hope this helps someone else who runs into this problem as they replace their pump impellor.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Homeport: Catawba Island, Ohio Go to Top of Page

happyhour

RO# 4143

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  10:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe one of the bracket bolts does not have to be removed at all. The bracket has what I call a set and turn slot.
A large hole for the bolt head to go thru and then turn the bracket a few degrees for the bolt to slide into the narrower
section where the head will not go thru. All you need to do to R&R the bracket is loosen the bolt about 1 turn.

Homeport: Newport Beach, Ca Go to Top of Page

PatSea

RO# 12641

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  10:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happyhour, I wish mine was that simple! Unfortunately, the bracket on mine has a top round hole and the bottom bolt goes through a slotted hole. But the bolts must come completely out before the bracket can be removed. I understand there are at least 3 versions of this bracket design. I don't know why they didn't make the top bolt fit through a slot in the bracket. It would be much easier to remove, just loosen the top bolt, remove the bottom bolt which is easy to get to, and drop the whole pump assembly down.

PatSea

RO# 12641

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  14:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned in my earlier post I installed the new impellor and pump assembly, reinstalled the pump and it worked fine. However, I noticed a low rumble type noise coming from that area ever since then. I wasn't sure where it was coming from, but yesterday while my marina was winterizing the engine the mechanic informed me that he heard the same noise and traced it to the same pump. He said the pump bearings are bad and need to be replaced. His theory is the bearings went bad and the wobble/vibratiuons caused the impellor to break apart.
My question is can I buy new bearings for repair? If so, where would I buy them? How difficult is this repair? Do I need a bearing press to remove and reassemble the bearings to the shaft? Sounds like a good winter job!!

Previous Topic: winterizing question Topic Next Topic: Break-in for Upper Engine Rebuild?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.69 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com