BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: merc9193 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Tampa Boating attractions
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Survey checklist Topic Next Topic: My Dr. Shrink Experience - Please Read  

Lakesponge

RO# 847

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  21:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve been off the NET for a while because I am once again deployed, this time in the Caribbean. Iíll be spending a few days in Tampa beginning Sunday afternoon and am looking for a decent marina I can walk thru to get a feel for the boating environment. I left my 32í Monterey in upstate NY this fall and will return there in about a year (during the off season). Where Iím stationed I donít get to see many cruisers, but I do get to dive, fish, and play around with smaller boats, and of course work.

If any of you have recommendations as to what marinas I can walk thru - that would be appreciated. Iím staying at a national hotel chain near the Tampa Intíl airport.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Homeport: Lake George NY

Skeetobite

RO# 23118

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  05:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only tell you about Marinas on the Manatee River and down to Sarasota, which is about a 30-40 minute drive south of where you'll be staying. This area is very nice with several good marinas and great access to the Bay, Gulf beaches and barrier islands. Great boating year round IMO. I don't know much about the upper bay and this area is a bit out of your way, but there are several users here that can share more info if you want it.

America... A hole in the map I throw money into.

Homeport: Palmetto, FL Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  08:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a car? If so head over to ST. Pete and check out the city marina and the water front around the pier area by the Vinoy Hotel.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  08:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim: Tampa doesnt have much waterfront to offer. For that you need to go to St. Pete. Take 275 south to 375 and you will run right into it, less than 30 minutes drive.
By deployed do you mean military??

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Nov 03 2011 08:30:24

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

rwilhite

RO# 3478

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  08:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your message saying you were deployed leads me to believe you are active duty military. You should check out the Marina at MacDill Air Force Base. Super cheap rates, excellent facilities and the location at the tip of the peninsula hanging down in the middle of Tampa Bay just can't be beat.

rwilhite

Homeport: Merritt Island, FL Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  08:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dolphin watch cruises and schoner sailing are available on the stpete pier.

Bruce

Lakesponge

RO# 847

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  20:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Iím active duty military and will check out the marina at MacDill. I will have ground transportation. St Peteís looks inviting. I have friends in Punta Gorda Ė how far is that? Iím guessing 3 hrs??? Iím looking to spend the afternoon on the docks or maybe for an excursion. As we all know, boaters are a breed onto themselves and are usually very friendly. I plan on bringing snacks and drinks to pass around.

Jim

Homeport: Lake George NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  00:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
be aware that most marinas today have locked security gates so walking the docks isnt like it was.

Bruce

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  05:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lakesponge

Yes, Iím active duty military and will check out the marina at MacDill. I will have ground transportation. St Peteís looks inviting. I have friends in Punta Gorda Ė how far is that? Iím guessing 3 hrs??? Iím looking to spend the afternoon on the docks or maybe for an excursion. As we all know, boaters are a breed onto themselves and are usually very friendly. I plan on bringing snacks and drinks to pass around.

Jim

90 minutes from St. Pete

closer to 120 min from TPA

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  08:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lakesponge

Jim

I don't know much about the marinas in the Tampa/Clearwater area but I wanted to say thank you for protecting our country.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Lakesponge

RO# 847

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  18:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I'll let you know how I make out.

Jim

Lakesponge

RO# 847

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  20:37:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All good intentions..... our plane ride was a bit longer than expected due to strong winds and by the time we got to the hotel, it was almost dark. Maybe next time. Thanks for everyone's input, next time I get to Tampa and have time, I'll walk the docks. I did get to see the marina at MacDill though.

We're back in the Caribbean...

Happy belated Veterans day to those Veterans!

Jim

Previous Topic: Survey checklist Topic Next Topic: My Dr. Shrink Experience - Please Read  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com