boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: sunnydaze948 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Bronze inboard boat shafts
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: sterndrive engineering Topic Next Topic: Opinion : How much would I expect to pay ?  

36mainship36

RO# 19818

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  05:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are bronze shafts still available. 1 3/8" ?? Situation may call for replacement. Reason: do not want S/S on one side and bronze on the other.

Lou R

Homeport: Avalon, N.J.

gcolton

RO# 9708

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  06:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not know that shafts had ever been made of bronze. I would not think that it has the strength.

George

If you are not boating or golfing you are wasting your day.

Homeport: EAFB Yacht Club Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  06:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen a Bronze shaft didn't know they were ever used.
I went with Aquamet 22's on my boat after we grounded hard last year upgraded to dripless shaft logs as well it was a great move now I have a dry clean ER.
Bill

WirelessOne,
40 Mainship
Sedan Bridge
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  06:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on the year your Mainship should have 1.375" shafts. I upgraded all to 1.75".
Bill

WirelessOne,
40 Mainship
Sedan Bridge
Little Egg, N.J.

alien1952

RO# 32487

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  06:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avalon I can drive to , could use a foot or two of shafting."Have Lathe, Will Make"

Homeport: nj Go to Top of Page

36mainship36

RO# 19818

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  06:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boat is a 1986. They are Bronze. Listed on survey as 1 3/8".

Homeport: Avalon, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Dave K S

RO# 12840

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  07:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bronze shafts were used by Silverton and Mainship during the mid 80's. They work harden get brittle and break over time. I would replace them both with Aquamet 22. I had a friend with them on his 1986 Silverton. When I repowered he was able to use my old Aquamet 22 shafts to replace his bronze ones.

1989 Luhrs 342 315 HP
6LYA-UTE Yanmar diesels

Edited by - Dave K S on Nov 12 2011 07:30:10

Homeport: Mystic,Ct Go to Top of Page

nwaring

RO# 16045

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  07:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Survey says...

Mine are stainless and 1.5. When I bought the boat the shafts had just been replaced over the winter. Lou are your props 22 X 23? I am having mine pulled this winter and checked out.

Niles

"Interlude"
87 Mainship 36DC

Homeport: Ashtabula Oh - Lake Erie Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  08:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave K S

Bronze shafts were used by Silverton and Mainship during the mid 80's. They work harden get brittle and break over time. I would replace them both with Aquamet 22. I had a friend with them on his 1986 Silverton. When I repowered he was able to use my old Aquamet 22 shafts to replace his bronze ones.

You have diesels you really need Aquamet 22's. At the time I damaged my boat towards the end of last season I was planning on installing Yanmars hence the upgrade in shaft size, the logs, cutlass bearing upgrade and Aquamet 22 shafts.
Luhrs like Mainship and Silverton shared many of the same parts and were even built from the same facility.
Bill

WirelessOne,
40 Mainship
Sedan Bridge
Little Egg, N.J.

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  08:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
22 X 23 was the standard prop for many Mainships of that era.
Bill

WirelessOne,
40 Mainship
Sedan Bridge
Little Egg, N.J.

Dave K S

RO# 12840

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  08:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My old engines were 454's with Aquamet 22 1.25 dia shafts. I upgraded the size of my shafts to 1.5 dia during the repower to Yanmars. Silverton and Mainship used bronze shafts with their small block engines. Luhrs only used Aquamet 22 shafts, probally because they used big block engines, unlike Silverton and Mainship which used small blocks in many of their models.

1989 Luhrs 342 315 HP
6LYA-UTE Yanmar diesels

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  08:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 1993 40SB came with 454's and 1.375 stainless shafts but they were not even Aquamet 13's. I had to upgrade my Walter V drives up to RV40's and have one custom built with an idler for the conversion using 2 CCW engines when I installed the 8.1L HO gas pigs and new Borg 72C's. I upped the shaft diameter and type after the boat was damaged after a grounding near Holgate at ICW 114A last season. I'm glad I did not install the Yanmar 6LY's now because I needed the money to get through some difficult times.
Bill

WirelessOne,
40 Mainship
Sedan Bridge
Little Egg, N.J.

Dave K S

RO# 12840

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  08:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
36Mainship36, I am not trying to hijack your thread just give a little background as I know it. Bill sorry to hear about your tough times, hope things are better now. I had the Yanmars installed 11 years ago. I love them but I was very costly. At the time is was less expensive than buying another boat with diesels. Today their are many good deals out there and I would probally look for another boat to move up to.

1989 Luhrs 342 315 HP
6LYA-UTE Yanmar diesels

Edited by - Dave K S on Nov 12 2011 08:51:46

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  08:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave I'm trying to help as well being on the Mainship forum and knowing and meeting many of the old employees from Millville NJ location before it was relocated South. Now they are back in Millville they even have a refit center for older boats like ours. Things are personally better and I agree that there are boats I am interested in that already have diesels. I was looking at almost $90k for the conversion about $8k for the total shaft upgrades which it seemed like the logical choice at the time. I was upgrading to a diesel generator which was another $10k of the total conversion cost.
Bill

WirelessOne,
40 Mainship
Sedan Bridge
Little Egg, N.J.

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  09:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave are you still in the water? Is anyone still in? We have been on the boat since Thursday and plan on staying until Tuesday morning.
Bill

WirelessOne,
40 Mainship
Sedan Bridge
Little Egg, N.J.

Dave K S

RO# 12840

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  09:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I had my boat hauled the first week of Oct. I am rebuilding my 11 year old dripless seals. I am also replacing the rudder ports as I found they both had cracks through the bolt holes and the alum backing plates had rotted out. I am also checking all the hoses and fittings. I will be flushing the cooling systems with Rydlyme in the spring. My wife is retireing Jan. 4th and we are going to take the boat to Oregon Inlet in NC. in June and return to Mystic in August. My wifes brother rents a place on the Outer Banks in July and we plan on meeting them there. I hope to take my brother-in-law and nephew out fishing for tuna and mahi while we are there.

1989 Luhrs 342 315 HP
6LYA-UTE Yanmar diesels

36mainship36

RO# 19818

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  10:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niles, 22 x 23 Federal Equipoise.

36mainship36

RO# 19818

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  10:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alien 1952. If they replace and they should, we can talk. Current shaft has 22 degree bend behind the strut.

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  11:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 36mainship36

Alien 1952. If they replace and they should, we can talk. Current shaft has 22 degree bend behind the strut.

The shaft is toast with that kind of bend. If you really insist on a bronze shaft try calling the Mainship re-fit center in Millville have you model and hull number they might be able to help.
Bill

WirelessOne,
40 Mainship
Sedan Bridge
Little Egg, N.J.

pacemakertom

RO# 16225

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  14:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check your bronze shaft right at the rear of the cutlass bearing.
They have a habit of cracking and then you lose your prop also.
I had to replace mine in my 1983 34C

Good Luck.
Tom

USCG Master with towing endorsement.
Captain, Seatow Delaware River

"He who dies with the most toys..... Wins!!

Homeport: Delran, New Jersey Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  15:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might try calling the Henry H Smith Co, which at least used to offer Tobin Bronze marine shafting. 1-800-338-8900 henrysmith dot com . But unless they have some leftover stock it looks like they were closing out that product in 2007. I expect they also will advise switching to Aquamet 22 or other grade. Aqualoy 22 is another alternative for that under 2" shaft. No idea what any difference in$ would be.

"22* bend behind the strut". Boy, that must have shaken some barnacles loose.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: sterndrive engineering Topic Next Topic: Opinion : How much would I expect to pay ?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.78 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com