BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 Hi Fellow Bayliner owners
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCR AC condensate leak Topic Next Topic: Help with a 2004 Bayliner 288 Classic Cruiser  

EdFitz

RO# 32779

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  15:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do any of you ever feel embarrased to tell other boaters that you have a bayliner? I mean, non boating people don't really know the difference, but I know Bayliner has a bad reputation. Mine has been great for me for the last 3 years. I bought it used and really haven't had many problems with it at all.

-----------------------
Ed
2001 Bayliner Ciera 245

Homeport: OC, MD

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  16:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed
I think you have a great boat & a good value for the Money- whats wrong with that?

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

EdFitz

RO# 32779

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  16:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing, I suppose. I just hate that I can't be "proud" of my brand like I see with some other brands - Chriscraft comes to mind.

-----------------------
Ed
2001 Bayliner Ciera 245

Homeport: OC, MD Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  17:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The justifiable bad rap for BL came in the 80's along with the KIA auto.

Different animal in 2001.

I see folks fishing them all the time by the James River Bridge which for the sake of argument is the mouth to the Chessie. There is a fellow at a marina I frequent during the summer. He has a 2000 or so 28 footer with a hardtop and a diesel sterndrive. At a 17-19 knot cruise he gets something like 3+MPG.

I know folks who make the run from FTL to the islands all the time in 2655's and 2855's.

Great boats

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  18:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perception / reality thing. Those who realy KNOW, know what's real. I can think of many examples of a perceived quality brand that was in some cases a real POS. And I can think of more examples of overpaying for a brand when there is really nothing better about it. Enjoy the boat, you like it so who gives what some think.

Homeport: Barnegat Bay, NJ Go to Top of Page

Dani-Lu

RO# 19601

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  21:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bayliners cost less than many brands, hav the same engines as many brands and unfortunately for you, they cost just as much to own, run and maintain as many brands. It's a boat. Enjoy it! I am sure the beer is just as cold on your boat as it is on a Sunseeker or Pershing. Buy what you can afford and enjoy being on the water. That is what boating is all about in my book. Enjoy. Oh, one more thing. I am in deep depression after winterizing my boat this past weekend. So, I apologize in advance if my anti-depressants are coming through in my writing. 138 days to launch, definitely 138 days, Got to go to Kmart......

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  22:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Do any of you ever feel embarrased to tell other boaters that you have a bayliner? "

YUP
In 2001, I had purchased a new 2456 Ciera Classic, I loved the look of the boat and everything about it, I was so proud and happy to have this boat. When people would ask me "What kind of boat do you have?", and I then said: a 24 foot Bayliner, I would get strange looks, looks like a was a fool to have bought a Bayliner. It did take the wind out of my sail at first, but after time went on owning the boat I did not care anymore.

If I ever or I should say when I downsize, I would buy this boat again. I look at it all the time on the Bayliner website, it is now called the 266 discovery: http://www.bayliner.com/_usca/index.php?content_id=5367&boat_id=36

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Dani-Lu

RO# 19601

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  23:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least you guys own a boat that is known in this area. My first boat was a 22' Ebb Tide, which no one on Long Island ever heard of. I tried selling it for 2 years, while I owned a second boat, a 280 sundancer. After 2 years, I gave the Ebb Tide to charity and wrote off the loss. Sad thing is, it was a well built boat in white bluff tennesse, that we had,a ton of fun on. Had I owned a bayliner, it would have been sold. Live and learn.

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

EdFitz

RO# 32779

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  06:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
walterv, that's exactly what I'm talking about!

-----------------------
Ed
2001 Bayliner Ciera 245

psalzer

RO# 4570

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  15:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope!! And it's paid for!

Pete

Edited by - psalzer on Nov 16 2011 15:47:57

Homeport: Fayetteville, Ga Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  07:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No offense to anyone with any brand, but I think that I'd probably buy a Bayliner over a Sea Ray of the same size. Initial cost isn't as high, depreciation is as steep, you know you're not buying a "Cadillac", Sea Rays are typically hard to work on...no room for me, and I've seen less structural issues on surveys with Bayliners. In my opinion...nothing wrong with any of that. Plus...Bayliner NEVER made a fully cored hull.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  08:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, the only bad rap I've ever heard of about Bayliner was from the 80's and mostly involved their smaller boats; bow riders and such. I've known a number of folks who have owned their larger boats, especially diesel powered, and have never heard any brand complaints at all.

Bob

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement
SSI Certified Instructor Level 1

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  09:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RamSport47

No offense to anyone with any brand, but I think that I'd probably buy a Bayliner over a Sea Ray of the same size. Initial cost isn't as high, depreciation is as steep, you know you're not buying a "Cadillac", Sea Rays are typically hard to work on...no room for me, and I've seen less structural issues on surveys with Bayliners. In my opinion...nothing wrong with any of that. Plus...Bayliner NEVER made a fully cored hull.

Kenny,
I agree with you that a lot of Searays are very difficult to work on due to access issues, but comparing a SeaRay to a Bayliner is like comparing apples to oranges.

I say this because SeaRays are way more expensive than Bayliners, in some cases you could buy two Bayliner boats for the cost of one Searay the same size.

I think it would be fair say that all manufacturers have had problems and bad boats, and all manufacturers have models that cause you to say "WTF were they thinking when they did this"

What I have found with Bayliner is the hull and the motors in most cases are equal to more expensive boats. Peripherals and hardware are of lesser quality and cheaper. Trim and finish is not the same as more expensive boats.

Not everyone can afford a more expensive boat such as a Searay, Bayliner niche market is "entry level", much different than Searays market.

Value wise, I don't think you can beat Bayliner. If money is not a consideration SeaRay is a real nice boat and IMHO, a pretty boat.

I like both boats, but must say, and IMO, Searay has one of the best gel coats, I have ever seen. If you take boats of the same year, the Searay seems to have a better shine.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

EdFitz

RO# 32779

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  12:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that my boat is definitely better than the reputation that precedes it, no arguement there, and you don't have to convince me that I got my money's worth. I'm just tired of having to defend it when others snub their noses at it. Kinda like my wife, I love her, and I think she's gorgeous, but I know others don't have the same opinion. When we go out to dinner, sometimes I get strange looks, like "what's that guy doing with HER?".

-----------------------
Ed
2001 Bayliner Ciera 245

Tony 5

RO# 24322

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  16:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have same boat same year in salt water seven months a year and use at least one day a week no problem with boat quality. good value for the money. put a stainless 4 blade prop and got better preformance. never cared about saying it was a bayliner, was proud i saved money and use the same water as the more expensive brands

Homeport: lindenhurst NY Go to Top of Page

whitecrystal1

RO# 24497

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  07:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't own one but never have I thought any less of someone who does. I really like the layout of the 285 and would like to own one my self. My first boat was a Regal 2150LSC and my current is the Wellcraft in my sig and I feel the Wellcraft is a better built boat than the Regal was. I know there is a size difference but the Regal always seemed to leak a little water in the haul. I contacted Regal about this and found that there were several areas that they had issues with this on that boat. My Wellcraft never gets any water in it except for the time I forgot to put the plug in it!!!

I would own one if in the market and the right deal presented it's self. I enjoy the time spent with my family on the water more than worrying about what some one else might think about what boat I own.

Ralph
"small batch"
2001 Wellcraft Martinique 2400 5.7L EFI BIII
2010 Silverado CrewCab LTZ 4x4 L9H-6.2L NHT

Homeport: Dumfries, VA on the Potomac River Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  15:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never owned one, but have seen a few that are nice. I just don't like stern drives.
If I was to get a stern drive, it would have to be kept on a lift or trailer.
I have seen too many stern drives down here have issues with saltwater.
I love the look of the Discovery. That boat is definitely one I could buy. After seeing
all the cost to own a big boat, I think we will definitely stay small No more than 32
or 34 ft. Only downside to ours is it has a V-berth and a wet head. I'd rather a square
berth and a separate shower. But our old Chris Craft is paid for and everything works.
I am not brand loyal. I am loyal to dependability.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

Jim Sullivan

RO# 19267

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  14:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean,when someone asks sometimes I say we have a 28 ft express cruiser without mentioning the brand. In bayliners defense we have had 2 Bayliners,we had a 21ft capri for 5 years,never a problem and we sold it for $400 less than we paid for it.The 28ft we now have has had some bravo 3 and transom issues that were very expensive but for the wife and I its a great boat.

Homeport: Maryland Go to Top of Page

DaveS

RO# 433

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  18:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took our 98 2655 to Bimini from S. Florida five summers in a row.

Even lead the BoaterEd Bimini run over in 2002.

I will not detail the sea conditions (might attract a bit of skepticism, but suffice it so say that many turned back and we did not have to tighten a screw upon arrival).

Never felt bad at all!

DaveS
Former owner of the Blue Plate Special

Homeport: Florida Go to Top of Page

Astral Blue

RO# 32703

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  00:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the first question I would ask is why would you care what others think of your boat? It is not their boat, it is YOUR boat; you are the one that enjoys it and they are the ones that talk about it. Pure and simple.

I have a 1977 Bayliner Victoria Command Bridge; and I challenge any boat manufacturer (even today) to build a boat that has as much space and as much of a generous floor plan as my Victoria...and deliver it in a 28 foot boat!

Bayliners have all of the problems of other boat manufacturers of their respective eras. You're buying the boat and not the brand.

Ed & Lindsey
Sacramento, CA
1977 Bayliner Victoria "Astral Blue"
MMSI #: 338127697

Homeport: CA Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  16:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is more embarrassing to say, "I'm broke down" than it is to say what brand you own.
Just as many Searays break down as do Bayliners.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

carver 2557

RO# 11591

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  16:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it floats and Im happy with it, I dont care who made it. .

The Other Gary

RO# 143

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  22:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have owned 3, a 2850, a3288 and my present 3988. I have also owned Chris Craft, Silverton and Tiara.
All had their faults and I may get one more but now the Bayliner MY Division is called Meridian and I like
the 441 very much plus it is 8 inches smaller than the maximum allowed in my slip.

Gary Peck 1997 Bayliner 3988 MY, twin 330 Cummins

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns,,,,, It was called Schindler's List

Homeport: Toronto, Lake Ontario Go to Top of Page

camman73

RO# 17493

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  11:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've owned 2 Bayliners and would not say I am embarrassed at all. I love my boat and anyone that snubs their nose at it is either uneducated about boats or is just an a** and I could really care less what they think.

In 10 years of Bayliner ownership I have only been left waiting for a tow one time when the coupler went.

Keith
Lombard, IL

Homeport: Waukegan, IL Go to Top of Page

Spike99

RO# 33104

Posted - Nov 03 2012 :  22:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Embarrased to tell other boaters that you have a bayliner??? Never. If someone doesn't like looking at my Baylinder, they can look the other way. And if they don't like looking at my xx brand of vehicle, they can look the other way as well. My toys - for my enjoyment.... My toys isn't made to make them happy....

Homeport: Ontario Go to Top of Page

Pa Mikee

RO# 32785

Posted - Nov 03 2012 :  22:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some people can only afford to own a Bayliner. Certainly not a brand I would own!

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  04:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first boat was a Bayliner. After I put a hole in my skull from the screw that was sticking thru the deck into the cabin I realized that it was a real piece of crap boat.

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  05:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robyns Nest

My first boat was a Bayliner. After I put a hole in my skull from the screw that was sticking thru the deck into the cabin I realized that it was a real piece of crap boat.

Just curious but how does that happen. How do you not see a screw protruding far enough to I more you? More importantly buy a boat if you did see it?

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD Go to Top of Page

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  07:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The screws were holding the horn to the deck covered by the fuzzy crap they call a headliner.

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  09:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"It is more embarrassing to say, "I'm broke down" than it is to say what brand you own.
Just as many Searays break down as do Bayliners"

Thats a true statement, although the break down is not relative to the brand. Its the powerplant, not the builder...

"I've owned 2 Bayliners and would not say I am embarrassed at all. I love my boat and anyone that snubs their nose at it is either uneducated about boats or is just an a** and I could really care less what they think.

In 10 years of Bayliner ownership I have only been left waiting for a tow one time when the coupler went."

Again, power plant issues, not a brand issue.

Ive never been impressed with bayliners smaller boats. I was at a show once (tobay) and they have a 24 or 26 "aft" cabin express cruiser there. The fiberglas was so thin I could see the shadows of people OUTSIDE the hull walking around while I was at the Dinnette.

But I suppose I am uneducated.

1988 StarCraft Bluewater 240 250hp Yamaha OX66

Homeport: Freeport NY Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  15:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost downsized from my Mainship to a 2859 Bayliner. I looked at a few. I even found a few with a diesel power plant. I could care less what other people think of the boat. It's what my wife and I would want and enjoy.
The larger Pilothouse Bayliner diesel yachts are real nice.
I know the threads a bit old but I wanted to comment.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

dancerscap

RO# 20150

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  08:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EdFitz

I agree that my boat is definitely better than the reputation that precedes it, no arguement there, and you don't have to convince me that I got my money's worth. I'm just tired of having to defend it when others snub their noses at it. Kinda like my wife, I love her, and I think she's gorgeous, but I know others don't have the same opinion. When we go out to dinner, sometimes I get strange looks, like "what's that guy doing with HER?".

If they give you that look then don't let them ride.

Homeport: Hudson,Fl. Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  13:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ride??? Oh, the boat.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCR AC condensate leak Topic Next Topic: Help with a 2004 Bayliner 288 Classic Cruiser  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.52 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com