BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 8 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: luna sea ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Going north again in July.
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Gulf Islands Topic Next Topic: Kildidt narrows ????  

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  18:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi to all who travel the inside passage way. I want to try some place new again this coming July. My son and his wife want me to take them on trip like I took last year.
We would like to go to Smith Inlet and go all the way around Greaves Island. Has anyone ever tried it?
As a few of you know I like to go to hard to get to places. We have two kayaks and one canoe with a depth finder on it. So we will be very careful of our props.
Yes Old Salt we are going to try to get in to Elizabeth lagoon again and take picture this time.
As my boat draws less than 2 ft of water do any of you all have a place you would like picture of?
We will go as far West as Ocean Falls and North as far as Bella Bella.
Fuel stops will be Dawsons landing and Shearwater. Duncanby Landing last year was almost .60 cent a liter higher than Shearwater.

May your keel stay wet and your seat stay dry

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  21:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jgsons2:

" ... try some new places ..."

That's the only way to go, IMHO.

"We would like to go to Smith Inlet and go all the way around Greaves Island. Has anyone ever tried it?"

CHS Chart 3941 3931 covers Smith Inlet, which is on the North side of Greaves Island. When you get to the East end you can turn hard to starboard around Cape Anne and come back West on the South side of Greaves, in Ahclakerho Channel, which will take you to some really nice waterways in Broad Reach, on the South side of Greaves. The anchorages in the shallows at the West end of Broad Reach are really quite special and you may want to allow yourself a couple of days to hang out there.

If you are really planning on doing this, I have some tips for you, that may not be obvious from the chart. We have until July!

" .. we are going to try to get in to Elizabeth lagoon again and take picture this time .."

Oh, Goody! I'm holding my breath!

Naysash Inlet on the North side of Smith Inlet is quite pretty, but there are no first rate anchoring spots.

I have played around in the entrance to Wyclees Lagoon, just East of Greaves, but the tides, at the time, were not high enough to be sure of getting out, so I have yet to do that.

Fly Basin, (East or West), in Takush Harbour, is a good place to anchor for the night if you want an early start on the following morning to get your timing right for Ahclakerho Channel.

If you respond in this thread, it will be easier to keep track of info.

OS

Edit: Correct CHS Chart No. for Smith Inlet
is 3931, NOT 3941. Sorry.

Edited by - Old_Salt on Dec 11 2011 00:08:15

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  00:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old Salt like I said before I will take all the tips I can get. Wyclees lagoon look like it could be done with my boat. What is the draft on your boat?
My daughter-in-law would like to see some water falls. The only one I know of is at Draney inlet off of Rivers inlet. Never been there just seen pictures of it. Like you said we have time to find some neat places.

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  18:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll be in the area in July. Leaving from down south in early June with expectations of being at Port Hardy by July 1st. Might run into you if you're around the area.

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  13:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to miss you BillV. We will be up there the 19th of July to mid August. If you go to the South East side of Nigel island N50 52.645 W127 40.049 This is the entrance to Clam bay(not on any chart that I know of). There is a dock in the back of the bay that is on public land you can tie up to. It's a good jump off place for going farther North or fishing around there.

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  00:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information. I will check it out as a good place to hang out for awhile. I see Nigei Island is not too far from Port Hardy and appears to be a reasonable good place to spend a few days or for waiting out the weather should we decide to head north. Seems the spelling differs depending on where you look. For short write up see http://bcmarina.com/Places/Clam_Cove/Websize/thumbnails.html

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Edited by - BillV on Nov 29 2011 01:15:34

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  11:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BillV I was looking at some of the older messages in this form. You asked what type of auto pilot to buy? What brand did you buy and why? Would you also let us know how you like it on you trip this summer. We trailer to Port Hardy instead of going up by boat is the reason we have not bought one yet. In 2013 we plan to go to Alaska and will be on the boat from June till September. I think it would be a good addiction to the boat for that trip.

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  14:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have narrowed the search down to the Comnav's 1500 and a RayMarine ST70 SmartPilot X-10 . Plan on buying it at the Seattle boat show 1st of the year and install it myself. I'm leaning towards the RayMarine unit due to it's simplicity of installation. Will keep you posted. On a side note, the trip this summer is kind of a "shake down cruise" for our trip to Alaska in 2013. Maybe we'll see you up there next year.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  01:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jgsons2:

Re Greaves Island: When you round Cape Caution, Takush Harbour and Fly Basin provide a good overnight anchorage, before you try to get around Greaves Island.

On the East side of Takush Harbour, just south of Broad Bay, is the passage that you MUST traverse in order to truly circumnavigate Greaves Island. Chart 3931 shows about a quarter of a mile of drying passage, drying as much as 6 feet at zero water. I would strongly suggest that you take a real good look at this passage, at LOW water, from the dinghy or kayak while you are on the WEST side of Greaves Island BEFORE you travel all the way around to the SW side of Greaves to attempt to come through there.

The shallows at the west end of Broad Reach provide excellent protected overnight anchorage.
The very narrow passage at the west end of Broad Reach is incorrectly charted, on my 1992 version, and NTM up to 1999 has no correction on the chart. The least depth of 0.9 m does NOT apply to the passage itself, but to a drying rock on the south side of the passage. The contours on the chart show a shallow ledge between the 17.4 m depth on the east and the 9.1 m depth on the west. The contours actually follow the shoreline and gave us a set of soundings of no concern on a 14' tide (20+ feet IIRC). There is, however, some shallow charted water when you turn north just west of the narrows. I ran these narrows in the kayak in the middle of the ebb. WHOOPEE!!

CT&CT Volume 7 (purple), uses Wadham's for the reference port for this area, and they give a correction for Leroy Bay, just west of Takush Harbour, which is a minor adjustment in time and depths.

Nice country you are going to see.

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  18:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old Salt Thanks for the information on Greaves Island. The narrow passage way is one we will be looking at very closely. My son and his wife have kayaks and I have a white water canoe with a depth finder in it.
As you know all planes on the water go out the door for a new place as soon as you see what it is really like, weather and tides.
I am using a Garmin chart plotter to set up this trip. Yes I will be checking every thing with new charts before we go. More times than I have fingers I have planed a trip with chart plotters and found they say can do but the water and land says no way. I have even had a few the charts said go but we could not go if we wanted to get back on the same boat.
We will have our trip planed out with all the places we would like to try and go to very soon. I will post it here and all of you Insiders can have a good laugh at some of the places I think we can get to and still get back.
Un till our next posting May You Never Ride A Wet Keel

Previous Topic: Gulf Islands Topic Next Topic: Kildidt narrows ????  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com