BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
Save Password

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 11 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: subsonic ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Gulf Islands
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Special Places on the West Coast of B.C. Topic Next Topic: Going north again in July.  

RO# 31533

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  01:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Homeport is Edmonds and our favorite marinas are Friday Harbor, Roche and Fisherman's Bay. I bore you with this so you can get a flavor of the type of marinas we like to stay at. Docks, power, showers, towns with groceries, restaurants and ice cream shops :o)
This summer we'd like to head up a little further north and would like your suggestions for some marinas in the Canadian Gulf Islands. Your suggestions please.

Homeport: Edmonds, WA

RO# 32472

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  07:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ganges Marina is a super place to stay to fit your requirements, especially if you are moored on Saturday. The farmers market will have plenty of booths and stuff to see. The food store, resturants, and marine store are within a short walking distance. You have to dodge the crab traps on the way in but doable.
Ladysmith is nice but the town and food market is a hike. Getting off the boat for a nice walk was refreshing and we love sight-seeing in these quant towns and shops.
Sidney is great on Thursday for their farmer market. Lots of shops and food store within walking distance. Good luck on you cruising this summer.

1992 4588
250 Hinos
MMSI 338117912

Homeport: Everett, WA Go to Top of Page

RO# 689

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  02:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you like Friday, you will love Ganges. I would get to Nanaimo too. But the real charm of the Gulf Islands is the smaller marina's that are nearly no-more in the states. Poets cove, Montague, Otter Bay, Telegraph, Maple Bay, Brentwood Bay. I hope you are either retired or have another ten years to start getting to know these places. So many more that I have not even named. Not to mention, the Gulf islands are a great place to discover the joys of putting the hook down for a night between marina stays. Tod Inlet is one of my absolute favorites. Sydney Spit. Oh Wallace! (page 160 in the 2011 Waggoners, that's me the third boat in the background). Other Marina's like Chemainus, can't even remember if we actually stopped at Cow Bay in the last decade. Oh gosh, Victoria!!! If you like good dining, the street scene...this is a must. Really, how much time do you have? So many places...

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

RO# 20541

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  17:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kudos to Ghost and knuckelbuster for their very good suggestions. Can't go far wrong there.

I would like to add that in Nanaimo you have a choice of overnighting at either the Commercial Boat Basin in Nanaimo proper, or at Newcastle Island, and that you can use the dinghy to travel between those two locations, IF you manage to avoid the float planes trying to pick you off. You should take the walk around Newcastle Island, which gives you a feel for a large part of the Nanaimo Harbour and some nice views of the Sunshine Coast (where I live) on the North Shore of the Strait of Georgia. The Dinghy Dock can be reached (by dinghy, of course) from either location, and is a great place to have dinner and a drink or three (you can leave the dinghy with the boat, and take the free water taxi to the restaurant).

Tod Inlet is a great little anchorage, and you can easily access Butchart Gardens with the dinghy from there. Even I like the flowers in Butchart's, and I'm a real man's man!

Ganges, Montague Harbour, Sidney (NOT Sydney, Australia, Ghoster!), Telegraph Harbour have a special unique atmosphere.

The guys gave you some good info.

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

RO# 31533

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  18:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for your input - hopefully more is coming.

Ghost & OS, Tod Inlet is a place I've had my eye on a couple of years now. I've heard that on Saturday nights during the summer the 'Gardens' have fireworks over the inlet - kinda cool. Probably gets pretty packed.

Looking forward to our new adventures but the family still insists - Friday Harbor on July 4th. Reservations for same are coming up soon. I've seen the fireworks show at Fisherman's Bay and it's actually better, but the grandkids like FH better.

Homeport: Edmonds, WA Go to Top of Page

RO# 1979

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  14:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a few years since I've been to Todd Inlet but as I remember the fireworks show wasn't that great viewed from the boat. You really need to go into the "Gardens" for best viewing.

Most of all my favorite places have been cover here.

However, if you have grandkids along I'd would make a stop at Naniamo. Lots of great shops around, firing of a cannon etc. Also about a mile away there is a great wave pool and slide area. The Kids will LOVE it. We would take a cab to it and walk back. Newcastle Island is great for walking trails with plenty of room for kids to run around, play frisby, etc and burn off energy.

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Special Places on the West Coast of B.C. Topic Next Topic: Going north again in July.  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice