BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 57 ]  [ Total: 58 ]  [ Newest Member: wfandel ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Winterizing & Springizing
 Engine Oil
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Winterizing Topic Next Topic: does anyone summerize water system with vinegar?  

danielcooper9

RO# 24397

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  07:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just remembered that I didn't add oil back after draining the oil as I was winterizing. I didn't have a funnel at the time and didn't want to get oil everywhere. Any problem leaving it without oil over the winter? 5.7 Volvo GS

Dan

Homeport:

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  08:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, but put a big sign on the dash so nobody starts it.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  08:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by pdecat

no, but put a big sign on the dash so nobody starts it.
[/quoteAnd Disconnect the batteries

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

Michael Clemensen

RO# 2006

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  10:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would make a trip down to the boat with a funnel and oil, a sign is not enough. Put the oil in to prevent a costly issue!!!

Homeport: Winthrop Harbor, Illinois Go to Top of Page

Country200

RO# 32846

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  08:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a big deal unless someone starts the engine. The oil sits in the drain pan anyway over the winter. You should be fine.

Formula 300

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  08:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go to the boat to check on it for any reason during the off season and can get to the engine, I'd fill it. Just keep the oil and a new funnel in your car. If not, and assuming you have the key on you and not in the boat, put the key in a bag and mark the bag with a reminder note.

I have "seacocks closed" reminder signs on my dash and ignition key slots in the cabin that go on Saint Max after winterization.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

danielcooper9

RO# 24397

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  10:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I'm confident that I will have the proper reminders that i won't start it before adding oil. I just wasn't sure if there was some other potential problem like rust or condesation so I think I am good to go.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  17:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I have the opinion that you should change your oil before you pull the boat and run it at least several minutes with the new oil. The reason is because you change the oil because of the contaminants in it and those contaminants are on all those shiny metal parts inside the engine. I like to distribute the new oil so the inside is coated with clean oil for the winter.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

Laissez-Faire

RO# 32833

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  12:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stephen is RIGHT, change oil at end of season, then run for a few minutes to lube everything with
new CLEAN oil

Homeport: Chattanooga, Tn Go to Top of Page

bobalong

RO# 19429

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  20:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funnel ?? I always pour one quart then cut the bottom out of the quart bottle . . . .instant funnel. That assumes you bought quarts :)

Homeport: Sutherrrn Indianannna Go to Top of Page

LouC

RO# 10314

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  11:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put oil in it. Memory can be bad and one less thing to do in the spring. Remember it will take a few seconds for the oil pressure to come up because the oil has to get pumped through the filter, unless you pre-fill it.

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Quadradrive II

Homeport: Long Island NY Go to Top of Page

chriscraft67

RO# 12563

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  18:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Change the oil and filter. Restart the engine and check to see if there are any leaks. Shut down and check the oil level. Restart and let the engine come up to operating temp and check the hoses. No leaks or weepy fittings? Good. Then winterize the engine.

If you do this every year, you won't need sticky notes on your helm telling you that there is no oil in the engine. Sorry, but if you want to preserve the investment you have in your Wellcraft, you have to do these things properly, every year, no matter what. Not having a funnel isn't an excuse.

My response to your post isn't meant to be vindictive or nasty. Winterizing (as I write this it is 15 degrees here) is very important. Your Volvo engine and drive will only last as long as you take care of them.

Bill

Homeport: Norwich, CT Go to Top of Page

Starry Night

RO# 18025

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  12:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put the oil in it. Hell I forgot to open my seacock to my engine after changing the impeller once and that was only 15 minutes later. You know your going to forget!

Bob

Starry Night
2001 44' Trojan 440 Express Yacht
1985 21' Chris Craft Scorpion
2011 SeaDoo RXT 260 Jet Ski
1988 34' Carver Montego (Sold)

"Anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron

Edited by - Starry Night on Oct 11 2012 12:01:26

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina and Yacht Club, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Maxwell

RO# 31042

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  12:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope he got it figured out after 10 months... :-)

Homeport: Milwaukee, WI Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  15:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+2 for Stephen et al.

Another reason, old oil has contaminants that, along with water condensation, turns into acid over time. Can etch your bearing faces. Maybe not much the first time...but after 5 winters...

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Winterizing Topic Next Topic: does anyone summerize water system with vinegar?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com