boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 12 | Guests: 173 ]  [ Total: 185 ]  [ Newest Member: drbob00 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 Silverton Going Belly UP
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 410 Sport Bridge with Diesel Engines Info Needed Topic Next Topic: 1984 34c for sale  18,000 or best offer!  

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  19:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not looking good, looks like they will be biting the dust :(
And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport:

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  07:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
???

Any basis for this statement?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish
Achilles LEX 96
MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: SS3 @ PennyBridge Marina, Stony Point, NY Go to Top of Page

chriscraft67

RO# 12563

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  17:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Luhrs Marine Group put out a statement on February 8 that the company (Silverton, Mainship and Luhrs)was taking a 60-90 day "break" in production. They encouraged their dealers to continue to take orders to "fill the pipeline."

Walterv's comments aside, I don't think any of us in the boating public know exactly what that means. Since I own a Silverton, I follow the company fairly closely and even I can't figure out exactly what they are doing. Over the past few years, they have moved all three boat brands into larger hull lengths and yet, if you read the sales statistics, it is exactly these larger boats that aren't selling. However, if a company like the Luhrs group, that has always enjoyed some success and has a large deployed fleet of boat in use now, fails, it doesn't say much for the future of recreational boat manufacturing in the U.S.

Bill

Homeport: Norwich, CT Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  14:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A shut down for 60 to 90 days is not a good sign for the company but does not necessarily spell the end for them. They simply do not have enough orders to keep the manufacturing facility open. Once they get enough orders, they should start back up providing it does not take too long to do this. What will really hurt them is the pending $5.00/gallon plus fuel that is sure to hit this summer. At some point you have to look at the sport and determine if it is worth it. A weekend trip out to the sound will cost me over $2,500 in fuel. I'm not getting out but I would have a hard time justifying getting in at this point or going larger.

-------------------------
2006 52 Searay Sedan Bridge

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

rythmstrat

RO# 32479

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  15:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$2500 per trip! wow, thats more than half my season!

Scott.

'Pretty Sure...'
Moose Deer Point Marina
'88 32 Carver Montego
2000 Seadoo LRV.
2008 Triumph Tiger 1050

Homeport: Twelve Mile Bay, Georgian Bay, Ontario Go to Top of Page

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  05:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rising fuel costs will be a big wet blanket for the industry and resales.

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  06:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you think the fuel is expensive there, come on down to the Bahamas. Pushin' 6 bucks a gallon for diesel now.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  07:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RWS

RWS

Yep, this summer is going to really kill the boating industry.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish
Achilles LEX 96
MMSI# 338049724

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  08:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess they had to do what they had to do, but to close down during the beginning of the season ????? You would think they would have done this in the winter or the end of last season.

"Once they get enough orders, they should start back up providing it does not take too long to do this."

Not sure how they can get a back log of orders???
First, if I was buying a new boat and was told they can't give me a delivery date, and then told me the reason why, I am not sure I would buy a Silverton. I would think that I would not be comfortable buy a 300K to 1 million dollar boat from a company that may not be around much longer. Also, not sure how long it takes to build a boat and get it delivered to the dealer, but I would not want delivery in time to winterize it.
Point being, it's gonna be hard for a dealer to sell a Silverton right know unless they sugar coat or lie about whats up with Silverton.

I hope they pull through

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  10:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. For a long time they were building on spec but wound up with too much inventory when the economy tanked. That's how I bought my 08. I bought in new in 2010. Then they went to building on demand and my gut tells me that is about a six month process. That's why you didnt see any Silvertons at the NY boat show this year. There are none built.

ranger42c

RO# 32710

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  14:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anchor Management

I agree. For a long time they were building on spec but wound up with too much inventory when the economy tanked. That's how I bought my 08. I bought in new in 2010. Then they went to building on demand and my gut tells me that is about a six month process. That's why you didnt see any Silvertons at the NY boat show this year. There are none built.

At least one of the SOC members was at the factory in December, and I think he said they had about 10 boats in the pipeline at that point. One bound for China, one for another boatbuilding company, one was a special edition...

-Chris

Selby Bay, South River

Homeport: Londontowne, MD Go to Top of Page

TimHenn

RO# 126

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  15:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the Miami show and talked to a few reps (Maritimo, Ocean Alexander, The story was the same, they were selling boats ahead of expectation in Dec and January, good news I guess, but none of them were building inventory. All of them were building on orders only which makes sense in this environment.

As to Silverton, they're facebook page is gone, they were not present at the Miami show but were supposed to be showing a 36 and a 50 as of December. This does not bode well but I'm hoping that an extended shut down (60-90) days helps keep the books from closing and they remain open.

Tim

Homeport: Portsmouth, RI Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  19:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

quote:
Originally posted by RWS

RWS

Yep, this summer is going to really kill the boating industry.

This will not be the first or the last time for a fuel price runaway. When I bought my bought fuel was at it's highest Diesel was $4.98 a gallon I know this because I had to pay for a full tank at time of purchased all 432 gallons of it. People still bought and used their boats but they did bitch about a lot.

Dave

I just wish common sense was a little more common.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express
2008 Sea-Doo GTX Jet Ski sold

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  19:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, that was at the beginning of the recession, before people started to feel the pain and lose their jobs. $5/gallon gas this summer will be a killer.

The only upside is that transient slips will be easy to get, you're going to see a lot of empty marinas this summer.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish
Achilles LEX 96
MMSI# 338049724

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  19:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not hurting but not rich either. Will be selective re boat usage. Fish better be jumping into the boat at 30 gals/hr.

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  19:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not hurting but not rich either. Will be selective re boat usage. Fish better be jumping into the boat at 30 gals/hr.

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

dragonfly1203

RO# 32885

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  19:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was on their website on theask a question page
We are in a Production Shutdown and have furloughed our staff for the next 60 to 90 days. Unfortunately, during that time, we cannot answer your questions. Thank you for your patience as well we allow production orders to fill our pipeline enough to resume production late this Spring.

My question... how would one place an order if there is noone to even answer an e-mail. Does not sound good.

Homeport: fl Go to Top of Page

jmcnab

RO# 30004

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  19:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They appear to be toast.

'96 Carver 400 CMY
"2 Sirius"

Homeport: Great Lakes/Georgian Bay Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  20:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dave, that was at the beginning of the recession, before people started to feel the pain and lose their jobs. $5/gallon gas this summer will be a killer.

The only upside is that transient slips will be easy to get, you're going to see a lot of empty marinas this summer.

Very smart observation Mike. I will further add that when this started, most (consumers) had some reserve money or cut back on other things to fuel the boat disease. Well fast forward today, not so pretty. As far as the industry, not gonna be pretty, this may be the year that breaks the camels back.

When I say "industry", the least of my concerns is the boat builders. The repair shops, little marinas, the deli by the boat, the ice guy, the bait and tackle guy, etc, etc. These small businesses are the heart of our local economy.

My heart as a small businessman goes out to these guys.

George Carlin

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  20:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YGBSM, WTF

Look at this email from a Marine Max Sales Person, his email is below, my response is on top.

“they have suspended production for 2012 pending bankruptcy, you will see a lot of dealers dumping inventory. “

1/4 true would like to see your backup about “pending bankruptcy” J

Creditability to me is very important, throw out BS as a last ditch attempt is wrong and not very professional. I am anxiously waiting backup on the “pending bankruptcy” statement. I would also like to see backup to “suspended production for 2012”

My understanding is they are in shutdown mode for 60 to 90 days.

Danny,
Would it professional to say a Meridian is nothing more than a Bayliner in a fur coat” ?

Anxiously awaiting backup to your Silverton statement

Best Regards,
Walter Valentine

From: Danny Brown [mailtoanny.Brownrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tmarinemax.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:16 PM
To: Walter Valentine
Subject: RE: Meridians

Hi Walter

The bottom line on the 2011 391 is $433,779. The 2009 441 is under contract.

The deal on the Silverton is always going to beat us on price as they have suspended production for 2012 pending bankruptcy, you will see a lot of dealers dumping inventory.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards

Danny

Walter Valentine
"Windy Clipper"
2004 34 convertible/385 HP Crusader engines
AYC
Lindenhurst, New York
walterrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tvalentinesystems.com

George Carlin

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  20:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have to clear the factory floor, reduce labor cost, insurance cost, overhead. The land, buildings, taxes are all fixed costs.

Insurance can be reduced by clearing out the buildings and risk, workmans comp etc....

They are in a pickle, do you buy a boat from a company that is on the downslide?

Ocean Yachts did the same but they have a much smaller footprint than Silverton/Luhrs and have been able to sit out and build as you need and still stay in business.

Luhrs/Silverton is a bigger company, and the cost to wind down facilities isn't cheap. You still own the land and buildings (unless you can sell them, good luck with that), you still have to pay security and taxes, utilities, insurance, debt service on them.

It is sad to see the great Silverton brand go down.

The Luhrs team in Florida didn't help the situation by not standing behind their failed product and this ball and chain transferred to the healthy brands such and Silverton and Mainship. The Hunter brand will probably be spun off (by the trustee) since they still sell some boats and are also a good product.

I hate to see this happen as I am a 2 time owner of Silvertons and very proud of the brand and the products produced out of the NJ factory.

Sign of the times.

We need to set a new course in this country soon............

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  21:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new course will cater to the ultra wealthy. Make no mistake, it's going to be more difficult to succeed now than ever. I am not advocating income redistribution! I am pointing out that industry that served the top 10% is going to suffer big time IMHO.
I wonder if this industry will whittle down to those that cater to the ultra wealthy, and thus dump the rest.

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  21:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I wonder when we will see an industry bailout of any of the boat builders.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Baltimore, MD Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  21:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The used market is going to be where it is at for regular people. When a new boat costs $433k and one that is 4 years old can be had for basically 1/2 of that...well...that is a problem for those building and selling new boats.

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  23:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a very depressing thread you guys are making me think it is time to sell and get out of boating for a while.

Anybody want to buy a boat?

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

ranger42c

RO# 32710

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  06:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfly1203

My question... how would one place an order if there is noone to even answer an e-mail. Does not sound good.

Orders would usually go through the dealer network, not direct from buyer to factory.

-Chris

Selby Bay, South River

Homeport: Londontowne, MD Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  06:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, if there is no new Boats, sooner or later used boat values may get stable or even rise?

_
Cruisers 5000 Sedan Sport/CAT 12LTR's -
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  06:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If indeed they were not at the Miami boat show, it s a lot more serious than a simple production shutdown... Indeed a sad thing to see such a brand go down the tube.

Fuel prices are only a fraction of a new boat ownership costs. On a half million dollar boat, you re looking at $150k costs for the first couple of years when depreciation is a big chunk of total costs. Some even if fuel goes up 30%, that s a few thousand and "just" a few percent overall

It s going to be much harder on older boat owners though and devastating on marinas who ve already facing hard times because of lower traffic and increased costs and regulations

Here in Miami, we went from 3 year wait list to "yes we have a slip for you"

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  07:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we had our Silverton I figured my annual costs at $15K not including fuel. The marina we were at used to charge people $50 to get on the waiting list for slips. We passed by there last weekend and saw a sign posted offering a 30% discount for new slipholders. Its a tough industry to be in today.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  07:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm going in the anchor and cigar business. Lemonade from lemons.

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  07:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm going in the anchor and cigar business. Lemonade from lemons.

People can't afford cigars any more...

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish
Achilles LEX 96
MMSI# 338049724

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  07:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or lemons.......

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  08:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe this will get me up the list quicker at Patrick AFB. Closer to 2 yrs rather than 4 in the 2-4 year wait.

I agree with Pascal on the fuel though. A thousand gallons of fuel with a dollar increase in the price per gallon is a relatively small percentage of the annual cost. While $1k is still a lot of money, it would likely mean only one less trip than at previous prices. Even a $2/gal. increase is not as bad as just replacing a turbo. Unless you rebuild it yourself and do your own work (which isn't such a bad thing). On the other hand, marinas may start lowering slip fees to entice boaters both on long and short term rental or even transient. At $125 plus electric per night at most places for 50' (average), I can see a lot of folks just anchoring for the night instead of getting a slip to make up that $1k. And it wouldn't take that long. Watch marinas start to get inventive on the slip rentals. Eat at thier restruant and get 15% off. Pick up 200gals of fuel and get a free night. For those that stick it out I think boating will get better overall for many of us. Anchorages won't be as crowded. Crappy mechanics will go out of business and the decent ones may lower their prices to a more reasonable level (sorry $85-$95 an hour is out of line). Even accessories may come down in price or stabilize. And certainly less boats in the water only increases the value of those already there.

I am not ready to go doomsday on the boating industry just yet. I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  08:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"At $125 plus electric per night at most places for 50' (average)"

I'd jump on that in a NY minute. Around here, you're looking at $5.00/ft plus $40/day electric, PLUS "facility fees" (at some places).

The problem is that the bigger boys don't care how much it is, so the marinas who cater to them will not lower transient rates.

Years back, we had to book our transient slips 6 months in advance, and would lose deposits if we didn't make it. Now, I call on the radio as we're approaching the harbor and have had no problem getting a slip.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish
Achilles LEX 96
MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  08:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I did not get to try out the just call on the way in part last year for obvious reasons, I can see that happening here too. The marinas we did visit by car last summer seemed to be only about half full. And that was on weekends. Prices do seem a bit better here though. $2-3 per foot plus electric which I have seen from $15-30 per night. We have a lot of really nice marinas on the Chesepeake that can not really cater to those big ships so maybe that is the reason for the lower overall price.

But you illustrate my point well. It is even less percentage wise of overall costs where you are when the fuel prices go up.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  15:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[I'm going in the anchor and cigar business. Lemonade from lemons.
[/quote]

[/quote]
That's blasphemy !!! I would rather be without an anchor then a cigar.

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  18:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah the Chesie is much cheaper than long island sound and new England where $4 to $5 is the average, plus electric!

There are two ways to enjoy boating and offset higher fuel prices. First, slow down and/or find nice destinations that are closer.. Second, anchor out or pick up a mooring... Much cheaper and often better views...

And actually, there is a third way... Shop for fuel prices! I m amazed when I see boaters paying up to 50c a gall more than they would A quarter mile away....

And there is a 4th way... Get a sailboat!!!:)

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  21:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trawler, trawler trawler! No fuel burn at all. Yes, you go slow but you will be on the water. 1.5 to 1.75 GPH is hard to beat!

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  07:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[I'm going in the anchor and cigar business. Lemonade from lemons.

[/quote]
That's blasphemy !!! I would rather be without an anchor then a cigar.
[/quote]
That's because you know for a cigar you can raft up with me and you don't need an anchor:)

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  07:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Woodsong

Trawler, trawler trawler! No fuel burn at all. Yes, you go slow but you will be on the water. 1.5 to 1.75 GPH is hard to beat!

I can do pretty much the same at idle speed, which I'll be doing more of this summer.

Hank, is Gayle letting you smoke cigars again?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish
Achilles LEX 96
MMSI# 338049724

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  10:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freedom get's about 2npg when we idle along. Gonna be a slow ride back from the Bahamas this year!

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  10:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I can do pretty much the same at idle speed, which I'll be doing more of this summer.

Hank, is Gayle letting you smoke cigars again?

Nope but I still sneak some. Nothing that a little Listerine spray can't take care of.

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  12:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The truth is Gayle doesn't like it that's why he only smokes them once a month, it's all in the timing.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  06:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I get 2 MPG in my boat at 24 MPH...not gonna trade that for less economy at slower speeds...granted, it's not as big, but has everything needed.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  23:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I did want to have some extensive interior work done and get a quote for a diesel conversion 2 years ago and the refit center would never even return an e-mail or phone call.
I feel bad for the entire marine industry it's going to be a tough year.
Bill

WIRELESS ONE,
36 Gulfstar
Trawler
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  12:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silverton was advertising their flagship 50 ft. convertible on a boating site this week.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  12:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rduhon

Silverton was advertising their flagship 50 ft. convertible on a boating site this week.

I'm sure they are trying to generate some business to start production again. Internet advertising is usually pretty cheap. I hope they can garner some interest. Know someone who tried to get in touch with them for a question this week but no one there to answer the call.

C team

RO# 24911

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  06:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read that Egg Harbor bought all Silverton assets and will move production to Egg Harbor.

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/520919

Craig

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Homeport: Skipjack Cove, Sassafras River MD Go to Top of Page

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  08:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RamSport47

quote:

I get 2 MPG in my boat at 24 MPH...not gonna trade that for less economy at slower speeds...granted, it's not as big, but has everything needed.

GPH is a very different thing than MPG.

2001 Tiara 2900 Open - "O Sole Mio" - Stillwater, MN

Homeport: Stillwater, MN Go to Top of Page

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  08:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"GPH is a very different thing than MPG"

Yes it is... you have to do the math first and compare apples to apples. I'm not sure I understand why we use GPH when MPG is what gets you there.

My old houseboat burns around 2 gph, for an average of 3mpg over about 200 miles this May. A trawler should do a lot better than that.

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

Bliss

RO# 2743

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  08:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig, thanks for posting the article. You can see from the comments section that there are still some who don't understand an asset purchase. My point, as before, is that the buyers pick up no liability from the former, now defunct, Silverton firm. No liability if the prior builder's products fail in any way, no warrantee exposure, etc. However, I'm sure EH will be helpful in some ways to current S-ton owners; just as Bombardier was helpful to Evinrude owners when they bought the assets of defunct Outboard Marine, Corp. several years ago.

Homeport: Reef Point Racine, WI Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 410 Sport Bridge with Diesel Engines Info Needed Topic Next Topic: 1984 34c for sale  18,000 or best offer!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 1.11 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com