boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: drwikboz ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 12 Volt Icemaker
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: invention idea Topic Next Topic: I need a copy of a purchase offer, Am i crazy  

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  10:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been researching 12 volt icemakers for a number of reasons, not the least of which is to reduce dependancey on shore and generator power. GOT to have ice for the evening cocktails out on the hook.

I have found a few units priced from $800 to $1000 that look good, all be it very pricey. Most pof the draw 4.0 amps when the compressor is running so, not too bad and my battery bank will handle it pretty well.

To be honest, I have not yet looked at the numbers for just putting in an inverter to run the icemaker I already have. I will address that possibility on another thread.

For now, does anyone have any experience with the 12 volt units? Other than the priceyness are there any down sides?

Bob
Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  10:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 amps is like 50 watts on 12v, that's not all that much power. My guess you'll get more ice from the icemaker you already have, running on an inverter. It'll probably draw more power, too.

Small dedicated inverters are cheap; one that can run your existing icemaker will probably cost you under $100. I'd try that route first.

With EITHER system, the power has to come from somewhere. You may need to increase your battery capacity.

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most 12v stuff is junk.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish
Achilles LEX 96
MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: SS3 @ PennyBridge Marina, Stony Point, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  12:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Hogan said. Consider a table top 120V unit and an inverter.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  12:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

What Hogan said. Consider a table top 120V unit and an inverter.

I am tending to agree. I already have a 120v tabletop. what I need to do is look at power drain numbers for an adequate inverter. Even if I put in a dedicated battery it would still me much cheaper than the 12v icemakers I have found.

Bob

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

GSENT

RO# 12438

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  12:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a Waeco refrigerator that is also a freezer, to store six bags of ice in. Works on 12 volt, and very little draw on the battery. Plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet in the cabin. Plus, its a refrigerator when needed.

GARY STALEY

Homeport: PGH, PA Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  13:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
120V stuff is usually more efficient than 12V stuff but after you add in the losses in the inverter it is probably worse BUT either way you can make ice while still moving so that it is ready when the anchor hooks. In that case the efficiency is less important and the inverter may find other uses.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  13:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it easier to just get a bag of ice at the marina and stick in the freezer? We have an icemaker and I got a bin from the container factory the same size as the interior. I fill it and stick it in there. Enough ice for two for the whole weekend and then some. But that machine is also 120v.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Baltimore, MD Go to Top of Page

mixman

RO# 25362

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  13:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

Bob is talking about when he is on the hook for days at a time. On small boats like his and mine, it is hard to store ice for days. The Waeco freezer is great to store the ice after it is made, but even with the big Waeco I have, food takes up most of the room.

Bob, I run my portable off an inverter. If you'd like, I can power it up and let you what the draw is?

--Kurt

20mph cruise at 5gph. Two hulls are better than one!

Homeport: Chesapeake Bay Go to Top of Page

mixman

RO# 25362

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  11:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to test this for Bob. Here's what I found:

I turned off all 12v loads on the boat. My Xantrex LinkPro monitor showed .1amps going out (probably the monitor itself). I turned the inverter (Xantrex PROwatt SW 1000 True Sine-Wave) on and it drew about .4 amps by itself*. I started the ice maker. For a second, when the compressor first started, it peaked to about 30-35 amps (too fast to tell). But then settled in around 5.5 amps (6 total, including the inverter). It peaked back up to about 8.5 when dumping the cubes, but that only lasted about 15-20 seconds or so and then back down to around 5.5.

*It should be noted that I have the inverter within a few feet of my batteries and connected by no more than 3 feet of 4AWG wire to minimize loss.

--Kurt

20mph cruise at 5gph. Two hulls are better than one!

Edited by - mixman on Feb 10 2012 11:36:18

Homeport: Chesapeake Bay Go to Top of Page

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  11:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mixman

I decided to test this for Bob. Here's what I found:

I turned off all 12v loads on the boat. My Xantrex LinkPro monitor showed .1amps going out (probably the monitor itself). I turned the inverter (Xantrex PROwatt SW 1000 True Sine-Wave) on and it drew about .4 amps by itself*. I started the ice maker. For a second, when the compressor first started, it peaked to about 30-35 amps (too fast to tell). But then settled in around 5.5 amps (6 total, including the inverter). It peaked back up to about 8.5 when dumping the cubes, but that only lasted about 15-20 seconds or so and then back down to around 5.5.

*It should be noted that I have the inverter within a few feet of my batteries and connected by no more than 3 feet of 4AWG wire to minimize loss.

Thanks Kurt, that helps a lot. What I think I'm going to do for our May trip is put in a dedicated group 31 AGM battery (already have one) through a SW1000 inverted and use that for icemaker, coffee maker, microwave and fan only. I may also run the windlass through it as well but still undecided. Everything else will stay as is, wired as is. The new dedicated battery will be hooked to the third loop on my existing smart charger.

The only shortcoming I see for this trip is that the isolated battery will be charged by shore power or generator power only. I am electrical illiterate and have no idea how to hook it up so it will charge with the existing batteries off of the engine alternators. I thought about hooking it up in prallel with one of my existing batteries (they are both group 31 AGM's as well) But I that would include that battery in the "drain" as well which I don't really want to do. For now a solar panel is not in the chips.

This set up should do nicely for the upcoming trip but I am still going through the thought process.

Bob

Edited by - rnbenton on Feb 10 2012 11:59:14

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: invention idea Topic Next Topic: I need a copy of a purchase offer, Am i crazy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.73 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com