boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 18 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: mark h bischoff ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Attachment point in the 3207's anchor locker?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Carver Mariner for sale Topic Next Topic: Carver color  

kthoennes

RO# 32590

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  18:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Launch is still 48 days away but the weather is nice enough now that I can start working in the boatyard, knocking out some of the to-do list. One of the items is re-rigging the anchor on the 3207. The previous owner added an after-market powered windlass. Works well, chain and nylon twist rode feeds fine into the anchor locker in the v-berth but the bitter end of the rode is just wrapped around the windlass motor housing a few times and then granny knotted. That can't possibly be the way it's supposed to be.

For anybody with a 32 from the 80's, can you tell me how and where the bitter end of your rode is attached somewhere inside the locker? I know some guys just knot the end through a hole in a block of wood bigger than the hawse pipe, but that doesn't feel right to me, seems kind of crude.

Thanks. (Wonder if West Marine sells an official rode stopper made of bronze and rubber so I can spend another thousand.)
1983 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin "CourtShip"

Homeport: Yankton, South Dakota

cmariner32

RO# 7269

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  22:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my 3297, I just bought a stainless steel I-hook and bolted it into the bulkhead and ties the bitter end to it. I never anchor out deep enough to even come close to paying out all my chain and rode.

The only thing that works on an old boat.....is the Owner.

Homeport: Clearwater/St. Pete Florida Go to Top of Page

alexander38

RO# 31123

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  04:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a block of White oak for mine, The boat is a 3607. There's not any points to tie the rode to in it's locker. But I feel this is a good way to do it, lets face it if the bitter end is up the pipe fast and hard I would rather break a block of wood than pull a S/S bolt out of fiberglass.

Member VYC

Homeport: va. Go to Top of Page

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  08:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tied a large Monkey Fist in the end too large to pass through the windlass.

Bob

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  11:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine's just laying there...I never anchor :-)

Kenny
PartnerShip
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  12:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
big knot here too

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  17:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have mine tied to anything on my 3227. If for some reason the anchor drops off of the pulpit while running, I would rather lose the anchor and line than deal with what would happen if it was tied to something. By the way, what would happen?
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

dancerscap

RO# 20150

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  22:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same issue on my SR. Tied a stop know in the iend and whipped the bitter end back to the standing part. Won't feed through.

Homeport: Hudson,Fl. Go to Top of Page

alexander38

RO# 31123

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  03:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I spend a lot of time hooked at night and figured if a thunder boomer came across the bay and for some reason the rode broke free (Due to not securing) the bitter end block would help stop the boat, While I was getting my old butt out of the rack...

Member VYC

Homeport: va. Go to Top of Page

kthoennes

RO# 32590

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  20:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice and replies everybody. Okay, block of oak for me. I try to avoid drilling anything into my boat anywhere. Doesn't feel right to poke holes in a boat anywhere, even for a ring or stay in the anchor locker. Thanks again.

1983 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin "CourtShip"

Homeport: Yankton, South Dakota Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  20:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
old sail boaters always tied the end with a piece of line incase they had to cut away the anchor. Of course old sailboaters were usually prepared for anything.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Carver Mariner for sale Topic Next Topic: Carver color  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.66 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com