boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 19 | Guests: 142 ]  [ Total: 161 ]  [ Newest Member: mark h bischoff ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Anyone on Active Captain/Navionics iPhone App?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: I need a boat ride Topic Next Topic: Boat wraps and bottom paint  

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  06:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still playing with the new toy.

It would be nice to have a quick way to check tides, currents and other "stuff" on the fly when not at the computer.

I especially prefer the tide charts over the printed data as the chart gives an indication of how steep the tide will be.

I see mixed reviews for the Navionics app especially regarding compatability issues as it applies to the newest Apple operating system OS5.

In consideration of my lack of any experience with the smartphone and the applications available, any advice would be appreciated, especially regarding your experience with valuable boating apps that are good to have onboard when there is no computer.

THANKS!

RWS
1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

Homeport: FL

sierra

RO# 28541

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  07:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There has been much written here about both as well as many suggestions of other great boating apps in case you haven't done a search. I personally have not had any compatibibility issues with iOS5 and Navionics. Like any intensive app, it has quit on me on on rare occasion. My feeling is, you can't go wrong with it, especially if you already use Navionics cartography on your boat. I have found the UI and level of detail to be far better than Charts & Tides which I use strictly for the Active Captain data (no one says you can't have both). One feature I love on the newest Navionics is the ability to bookmark tide/current/wind data for instant viewing. Tapping on the individual panels brings up detailed data...

www.meridian441forsale.com

Homeport: East Coast, USA Go to Top of Page

ronbo1

RO# 21769

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  15:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have used Navionics and Navimatics as well as Plan2Nav on my iPhone and iPad2.
No problems with the first two but Jeppersen has teething with Plan2Nav.
They're reasonably priced so you use the best features of each -- like Navimatics having ActiveCaptain as a great guidebook.
Ronbo

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

JAYROCK

RO# 28607

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  08:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the Navionics app as back up to my Raymarine on the boat. It is fun to play with away from the boat, while sitting on the couch...looking at new places, plotting routes, makering POI........I like it!

You cant teach Tall
You cant sell Short
And you cant buy COOL!
Kid Rock

Homeport: BossierCity,LA. Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  15:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use an iPhone app named "Simple Tides" from GeoGroups and it works great just for tides. It will show all of the tide stations that are nearby and you can also set "favorites". It has a very simple graph and easy-to-read text that indicates low tide, high tide, moon rise, sunset, tide height. The app loads quick and it accurate, nothing fancy but quick info.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA
"Olive or Twist" 2006 Meridian 391 T-Cummins 380QSB, Onan 9K

Homeport: Savannah.GA Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  18:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a Tide Chart app. Works pretty good.
Also use Rainy Days app. It brings up the weather radar pretty fast.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  07:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Navimatic charts n tides as great tide graphs. Easy to use

I tried a tide only app (forgot which.. Had a blue and green icon). Useless kept crashing

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: I need a boat ride Topic Next Topic: Boat wraps and bottom paint  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.7 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com