BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 134 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 South Florida Boating Club
 Jimbo
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lightweight hardtop Topic Next Topic: Boat  Repairs  

sabrejocky

RO# 12195

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  13:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the paper today Jimbo to close the end of this month.

Cor
"Pretty Penny"
1990 50' High Tech Euro
Wellington, Florida
You ain't much if you ain't Dutch

Homeport: Miami, Florida

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  20:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very, very sad. Miami has been trying to shut him down for a long time.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  07:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I saw that... That s really too bad. But I think It was his decision, getting old maybe? What does the artivlcle say?

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

sabrejocky

RO# 12195

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  12:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The paper said something about a fire that happened out there some time ago and that the electricity had been cut of ever since. I guess it was impossible to stay in business had way and that the daughter was the one pulling the plug.
I had not been out there in a long time but am sorry to see it come to an end as it was a part of miami history and made for a colorful place.

Cor

"Pretty Penny"
1990 50' High Tech Euro
Wellington, Florida
You ain't much if you ain't Dutch

Homeport: Miami, Florida Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  23:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Friends of Jimbo,

The Miami Herald has published an article "Jimbo’s limbo drawing to a close in Miami" which suggests that Jimbo's Shrimp Shack at the end of the road on Virginia Key is over. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/21/2706696/jimbos-limbo-drawing-to-a-close.html

The likelihood of an 85th birthday celebration on April 15 is nil.

It's a shame to see it close down without a whimper and no chance for old friends to say goodbye. The accidental movie back lot should be re-created and the legacy of films and television shows, photos shoots and music videos, allowed to carry on.
Yes, Bobby put his heart and soul and a lot of sweat equity into the place in the past six months and basically got screwed for his effort. That's a shame.

We always knew it would end some day, but I was betting it would be a hurricane, a greedy developer or an out-of-touch politician that brought on Jimbo's demise. A family squabble was not on my radar.

The legend lives on and the documentary tells the real story, in spite of a huge amount of mis-information and dis-information that's been passed around for decades.  http://www.JimbosTheDocumentary.com

So long Jimbo. It was truly a pleasure to know you, to experience that genuine, original Florida establishment where everyone was welcome to enjoy a natural place on the water, gather with friends, play some bocce ball, eat smoked fish, or do absolutely nothing at all.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/21/2706696/jimbos-limbo-drawing-to-a-close.html#storylink=cpy
I'll probably keep the web site up for some time and convert it into some time of remembrance for those that spent some quality time there. It was a please to know each and every one of Jimbo's friends. We shared something special.

Robert Burr"

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Lightweight hardtop Topic Next Topic: Boat  Repairs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com