boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 17 | Guests: 140 ]  [ Total: 157 ]  [ Newest Member: sunnydaze948 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New England Cruising Club
 Nantucket Trip
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: bottom painting in ct river. Topic Next Topic: The crane guy came...  

woodchuck

RO# 3462

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  20:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just invited for a long weekend trip to Nantucket departing from Cape May in late June. Any recommendation for things to see or do? Is there only one marina? Local not to fancy place for some good chowder? Should we try Block Island for one night? Any info would be helpful.
Chuck

Homeport: Bear, DE

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  02:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice trip- itís a very long weekend & hope itís more like a week & a fast cruise boat.

If your running as the crow flies via the ocean, its about 300 miles to Nan. Block would be about 240 and will add about 20 miles to the trip.
If you do want to have a stopover, look into Montauk as well

If along the coast & threw the sound its about 280 to Block & 360 to Nan.

Iíll let the more locals pitch in as to places and maybe Pascal will jump in as he does this trip a couple of times a year.

_
Cruisers 5000 Sedan Sport/CAT 12LTR's -
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Block is ok but my (and most guest) favorite is Cuttyhunk. Newport and mystic are must stop. Skip vineyard haven, Edgartown is worth a stop

Hadley harbor off woods hole is a nice stop, worth At least a lunch stop

In Nantucket, it s either the boat ba$$in or a mooring. Better views, breeze etc. Good launch service.

Refuel before getting there (pt judith marina is usually the cheapest fuel) as fuel is $1.50 more in Nantucket

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of the three islands, Block, Marthas and Nantucket, my favorite is Block and the wife prefers Nantucket. Nantucket is rather pricey but lots to do. The main marina tends to get very busy with lots of tourists as the ferries come and go all day from there.

Doing a boat trip from Cape May to Nantucket for even a long weekend is insane IMO. A very long way to go with not enough time to see/do all there is.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like this is a delivery trip. Best scallops I ever had were on Nantucket.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Mar 27 2012 10:42:56

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We LOVE Nantucket. +1 on the scallops. There's a casual resturant right on the wharf (Straight Wharf Restaurant) with great scallops. Do book a tour of the island; its the best way to see the whole island and get the history. After that you can walk around town for hours shopping and checking out the old homes that the whaling captains built. My favorite watering hole is the Brotherhood of Thieves which is next to the Jared Coffin House.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or rent bikes... The trails are very well set up

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  14:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Or rent bikes... The trails are very well set up"

+1.. Yeah, we actually brought our bikes over on the ferry with us one year. Took the cross island trail through the cranberry bogs to Sconscet (sp). Great ride!

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

TheoMD

RO# 15854

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  20:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Restaurants o'plenty
1+ Bikes
1+ The Brotherhood of Thieves.
For breakfast may also want to try Blackeyed Susan's.
Don't miss the Nantucket Whaling Museum and for something a bit different try one of the Walking Tours of Nantucket.

Homeport: Cotuit, MA Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - May 02 2012 :  23:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

Sounds like this is a delivery trip. Best scallops I ever had were on Nantucket.

Of the countless things that I miss, from the bottom of my heart, about Nantucket, the bay scallops are near the top of the list. You think they're good when they're served in a restaurant? Try them less than an hour out of the water - I'm talking get back in the boat, pull the bag on, ditch the drysuit, back to the dock, straight home, shuck them, eat a few while you're at it, drink a few Cisco Brewery Pumple Drumkins, then throw them straight into a skillet. They are like candy. I really, really miss that.

People actually take the day off work en masse on opening day of scallop season on the island. Dove the jetties for lobster quite a bit and didn't find much, but scallop diving was where it was really at.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northeast Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - May 03 2012 :  00:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, back to the original question:

Like Theo said, Brotherhood is good - best calamari around. Best chowder, tough to say. A lot of people rave about Captain Tobey's - on the fast ferry on their way home to America. It's good - don't know I'd call it the best. I had a seafood chowder at Straight Wharf that blew me away, and if you're up for a not too fancy - and not too cheap, but not too bad - dinner, Brant Point Grill at the White Elephant has a lobster a la plancha that will blow you away.

I'd cab it up to Cisco brewery - always a good time. I would not rent a moped - for half the rental cost, and a fraction of the time, you can get the same result by paying someone to beat you repeatedly with a 2x4, work you over with a belt sander, and hit you with their truck a few times. Be leery of cobblestone poisoning in the late hours leaving the Rose and Crown - that hurts the next afternoon.

Speaking of cabs, there is one and only one cab you want to use, and you'll have to call ahead - and that's Chief's Cab. I just deleted a bunch of Nantucket numbers from my cell phone (since I don't live there anymore) or I'd give you the number. He's the retired fire chief, great guy, knows everything - and I do mean everything - about the island, and one of the friendliest people on Earth. He actually has a Nantucket Nectars cap about him. Taxi fares vary on Nantucket even though they are set by the town/county, and people occasionally gripe about overcharging when their fare is different than usual, but 99% of the time it's because most drivers don't normally charge all the 'add-ons' and full fares. Rate sheet will be posted either way. I've never heard of someone truly getting overcharged. Save yourself any hassle and do yourself a favor, though, and call Chief if you need a cab. He's a character you don't want to miss.

Be careful if you're riding a bike along the roads - great bike trails there, but when the tourerists are on-island, look out on the roads! I almost feel bad saying this, because I know a couple CT people that are great people and NOT like this, but if you're pedaling along and see anything with CT plates coming, dive as far from the roadway as you can.

Kitty Murtaugh's for the triple tenderloin.

The Bamboo for a good bar fight. (Seriously, I wouldn't go there)

The Hen House for breakfast - people will tell you Downeyflake, it's not all that. Tourists love that place, though. Left the better breakfast at Hen House wide open for the rest of us.

Lifesaving and Shipwreck Museum - this is one thing you DO NOT want to miss. Great museum. They HAD a fantastic exhibit with my ugly mug in a few pictures, but I guess it was making children cry so they rotated it out. It's up the Polpis Road. Worth the ride, it's not far. Nothing on Nantucket is far.

Man, I miss that place....

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northeast Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: bottom painting in ct river. Topic Next Topic: The crane guy came...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.66 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com