boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: Logan ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Mercruiser Power Trim Fluid? Alpha One...
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Airmar Transducers Topic Next Topic: One of those 5 minute jobs!!  

papakevin

RO# 17009

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  22:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my 2004 Bayliner 175 out of storage and checking her out for the season. Noticed the power trim fluid looked low. The container is about 1/2 full and is located just behind the battery, to the left of center when you look towards the rear of the boat.

I've seen other posts which say they use ATF fluid, but when I checked the fluid, it looked more like motor oil, not red in color like ATF fluid.

Any recommendations on what I should use? Appreciate any and all help.

-Thanks

2004 Bayliner 175 Mercruiser 3.0 w/Alpha One
(Previous Boat - 2000 Chaparral 180 SSe Mercruiser 3.0 w/Alpha One)
Louisville, Kentucky

Homeport:

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  07:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mercruiser recommends either their power trim and steering fluid or straight 20 motor oil. If I remember correctly, ATF will damage seals in the cylinders. Also...make sure your drive is completely down when you check the fluid or you will overfill the reservoir.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

pocket change

RO# 31212

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  18:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I use 10/30 motor oil in mine. I pump the old oil out once a year and put in fresh oil. I pump it out with the hand pump I use to fill the outdrive. I had to empty the power steering pump this spring to replace a hose and it worked good for that also.

Homeport: stony point bay marina ny Go to Top of Page

Brite Idea

RO# 12714

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  07:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Power Trim is oil although I can't remember what weight. While we're talking about it I don't think I've ever had to add oil to the Trim pump tank. The trim tabs are ATF don't mix them up.

Homeport: Copiague, N.Y. Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Airmar Transducers Topic Next Topic: One of those 5 minute jobs!!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.66 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com