boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: JohnPadgett ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 '86 Carver Mariner 3297 front Hatches
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Transporting a Carver 325 AC Topic Next Topic: window gasket  

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  16:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know what the size is on the front two hatches are on a 1986 3297 Mariner? Anyone replace these? If yes, with what brand and size. Hoping for a like for like match. Mine are showing their age and I think I need to replace them before I really have too. They have been caulked a few times...

I was looking at these and the outside measurement looks to be right... although I would like to find in black, but white will do.
http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/22_614_707-boat-hatches-port-windows-ventilation-hatches/22376-hi-tide-manufacturing-group-jim-black-591-1217-05-02-05-12-x-17-inch-white-boat-ventilation-hatch.html

Homeport: Winneconne, WI

cmariner32

RO# 7269

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  21:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced mine several years ago with Taylor-made tempered glass hatches. I want to say they were 17 1/4 or 17 1/2 inch hatches. Boatfix carried them at the time, but I got them from Worst Marine in their surplus goods section at half price. As I recall, it was a little tight so the ones you are looking at will probably work. Just use plenty of bedding compound.

The only thing that works on an old boat.....is the Owner.

Homeport: Clearwater/St. Pete Florida Go to Top of Page

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  13:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! Now for a dumb question, what is bedding compound?

Homeport: Winneconne, WI Go to Top of Page

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  13:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I just did a google search... Is this bedding compound for use to seal the edges around the outside I assume or for inside the trim ring?

cmariner32

RO# 7269

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  21:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You want to seal the topside flange against the fiberglass. I believe my hatch came with a rubber gasket to go against the fiberglass, but I still filled the gap between the "hole" in the glass and the hatch body just to give extra sealing-hatches are notoriously a source of leaks and with our Florida rains, can quickly become a real issue. Just to show you how anal I am, I put a coat of expoxy resin on the wood coring before I installed the hatches. Carver did not seem to think that was necessary at the factory.

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  08:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, that's what I thought you were referring to. Mine didn't come with that rubber seal, but I am curious if Home Depot or someplace carries something like that. I would also put a bead of caulk around the outside for extra measure, but I saw some that had that rubber piece and through pressure from the screws, creates a seal. That would be nice.

mjkkemper

RO# 21252

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  08:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am fixing a hatch leak on my 3207

Nasty stuff. I did know when I bought it I would have to fix it so no complaints but I will go the extra step to make sure it doesn't happen again

As of today - new core and fiberglass

One more skim of flaring then gel coat

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/mjkkemper/27003.jpg

Homeport: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI Go to Top of Page

cmariner32

RO# 7269

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  21:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mk...ouch....craig....just to be clear....you use the bedding compound under the flange..not on the perimeter of the flange.

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  13:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, I know what you meant. Seems like all the port holes on mine have a bead of caulk around the perimeters though. So once I seal the flanges and hatch frame down, I was going to put a bead of clear caulk around them. Mainly so I don't end up with the rot like mk above.

mk - that looks nasty, but the pics are up close so my point of reference is off. Is that the area next to the actual holes? So where the water seeped into the fiberglass and did that damage?

mjkkemper

RO# 21252

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  15:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imspacemancraig

Ya, I know what you meant. Seems like all the port holes on mine have a bead of caulk around the perimeters though. So once I seal the flanges and hatch frame down, I was going to put a bead of clear caulk around them. Mainly so I don't end up with the rot like mk above.

mk - that looks nasty, but the pics are up close so my point of reference is off. Is that the area next to the actual holes? So where the water seeped into the fiberglass and did that damage?

The dark area is the hatch area. I have to trim back the fiberglass overlay (picture in previous post) In looking at the pic - up is the bow, right is starboard.

When I ground down the flang area to overlay the new glass I found air pockets - see below

When I bought the boat the hatch was burgered up with caulk on the front starboard side. Removing the caulk I found a crack. Grinding down the Fiberglas I found air pockets from the original layup. If you look closely you can see the small crack in the white gel coat next to the rased hatch flange

The rote was from this point down to the starboard side. Manufactures defect and a poor fix is my opinion

Edited by - mjkkemper on Apr 12 2012 15:57:50

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  09:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, looks like a bigger project than you planned for sure.

Well, got my new hatches installed. Although with all the measurements I took, I thought this was going to be a perfect fit. Well, it can never be easy on a boat... We had to jig saw about a 1/4 inch longer on both hatches for them to fit and then we found the starboard hole was about an inch too far to the left, so we had to cut that one bigger. What I thought would be an hour job per hatch turned into and all afternoon project. That being said, all done and looks great. Even got a rain storm late in the night and water tested. No leaks thankfully!

mjkkemper

RO# 21252

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  10:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imspacemancraig

Wow, looks like a bigger project than you planned for sure.

Well, got my new hatches installed. Although with all the measurements I took, I thought this was going to be a perfect fit. Well, it can never be easy on a boat... We had to jig saw about a 1/4 inch longer on both hatches for them to fit and then we found the starboard hole was about an inch too far to the left, so we had to cut that one bigger. What I thought would be an hour job per hatch turned into and all afternoon project. That being said, all done and looks great. Even got a rain storm late in the night and water tested. No leaks thankfully!

It's alway the easy ones that turn out to be difficult. I didn't mean to steal your tread just want to show what happens even with a small leak

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  09:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem on the thread, good info on the subject. Mine was different. Hard to describe, but on my Mariner, the front hatches are up in the top piece of the boat that sit on top of the of the deck above the hull portion of the boat. So, from the inside, there is a square "tunnel" leading up to the hatch.

When I removed the hatches, the fiberglass part was actually pretty thin, maybe a quarter inch or so, then some space before some particle board that lines in the inside. So, if there would have been any rot, it would of been with the particle board, the fiberglass was solid. The hard part was getting the jig saw to fit in the small area around the hole to widen it. There is a lip of sorts around the hole from the top and my jig saw's guide plate was slightly to wide so we had to turn it on an angle and almost free hand the cut. Slow and steady wins the race... but took a lot longer than I thought it would.

That bedding compound is some messy stuff, at least what I got from WM. But once cleaned up and sealed, looks nice. I didn't take any before picturs, should have, was more focused on getting it done... but will grab some after pics this weekend.

alexander38

RO# 31123

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  12:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you'll be happy with those hatches, replaced all 4 on a 3607 with jim blacks and they are great ...and for the price it'll be hard to beat them.

Member VYC

Homeport: va. Go to Top of Page

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  15:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, so far so good, but I noticed the hinge on them are held together with a little pin and one has come out. I think someone opened the hatch beyond 90 degrees (against the warning sticker) and might have made it come loose now. I have everything installed and caulked/sealed etc up and can't return them. So, I am going to tap a screw from the outside in which will work well. That little part is not designed well in my opinion. But the rest of the hatch is done very well, very sturdy! And you are right, can't beat the cost, almost half the cost of the others on the market. So I live with my screw fix. Doesn't look bad at all, in fact looks like it was meant to be there.

So, question, did you get the bug screens? If yes, how do they go in and stay in? Looks like they fit the upper part of the hatch but there isn't anything to hold them in there. Either that or I am missing a piece that looks like it should fasten into the bottom ring somehow.

alexander38

RO# 31123

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  02:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
didn't buy the screens, but will be soon so if you figure it out post...I'll do the same.

Member VYC

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  11:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I contacted the manufacturer via email and they said they are going to send me 2 new screens. So we'll see if they are the same ones I have or something different.

alexander38

RO# 31123

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  13:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok I'll w8 it out then...thanks.

Member VYC

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  11:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New screens should arrive on Monday. I will let you know. I am going to check things out again this weekend, I have some ideas. If for some reason they are the same screens and I figure out how to "hang" them, I might have a couple for sale...

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  11:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New screens came this weekend. Definitely different than the ones on Great Lakes Skipper site. Bigger and they fit into the trim piece that comes with the hatches like your would expect them to. Guess I will be returning the other ones. GLS doesn't list the ones I just got, so looking to find some place else that carries Jim Black hatches to find the privacy covers now. So if you know of another site, let me know. I can take pictures if you like to see the good ones vs. the ones that don't fit.

alexander38

RO# 31123

Posted - May 03 2012 :  03:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sure I'd to see them and a phone # to order them...talexander38 at cox.net

Member VYC

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - May 03 2012 :  08:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem, I will take some tonight when I get home and send them to you.

imspacemancraig

RO# 31301

Posted - May 03 2012 :  20:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just emailed them to you, let me know if you didn't get it.

Previous Topic: Transporting a Carver 325 AC Topic Next Topic: window gasket  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.81 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com