BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 Another Long Solo Sail
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: LISTEN   UP   SAILORS ! Topic Next Topic: Sailing UP the Yukon river?  

saltysam

RO# 26

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  11:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the latest from the Norfolk Va area:

Sailor finishes 309-day trip at Bay bridge-tunnel
By Aaron Applegate
The Virginian-Pilot
April 18, 2012
Solo sailor Matt Rutherford has completed the first solo, nonstop circumnavigation of North and South America. He crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel at 10:42 a.m., ending a 309-day journey in which he covered more than 25,000 miles.

"It's good to be done," he said via cell phone, as he steered his 27-foot sailboat through rough water at the mouth of the Bay around 11 a.m.

The finish came after a frustrating day on Tuesday. Current mixed with light northwest winds drove him backwards along the Virginia Beach coastline. The wind finally picked up around 3 a.m. Wednesday morning, giving him the push he needed to cross the line.

Rutherford, 31, said he hasn't slept in four days.

He's hoping to hook up with a boat later today that will tow him up the Bay to Annapolis, Md., where he'll be greeted by friends and family. He was heading for Willoughby Bay to meet the boat because the Bay was too rough.

During the circumnavigation, he exited the Bay, sailed up the East Coast, across the Northwest Passage to Alaska, down the West Coast, past Central America and around the tip of South America and back, about 23,000 miles.

Rutherford is raising money for Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating, a group that helps the disabled enjoy the water.

Cheers!
Bill

Homeport: New River, Ft Lauderdale

Hyperfishing

RO# 3223

Posted - May 06 2012 :  23:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, I was there at the finish. You would be shocked to learn how little he spent on boat/equipment for this trip.
Well done Matt!

Chris

Homeport: Sand Bar, Great South Bay Go to Top of Page

Peleka7

RO# 691

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  23:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just don't see the point in this. Sailing non-stop is like driving across the USA and never stopping anywhere. This guy averaged 75 miles a day, a slow boat.
I just don't see the point of this. JMO

Homeport: O'ahu Go to Top of Page

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  06:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually for the size of the boat and the conditions, I'd think 75 mi/day is pretty good. It wasn't all fair weather sailing.

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

nrende

RO# 33389

Posted - Aug 07 2013 :  10:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree. My family is huge on sailing and that mileage is great, especially since he is doing the sailing alone. Well Done!

quote:
Originally posted by stmbtwle

Actually for the size of the boat and the conditions, I'd think 75 mi/day is pretty good. It wasn't all fair weather sailing.

Nicole Rende

Homeport: California Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: LISTEN   UP   SAILORS ! Topic Next Topic: Sailing UP the Yukon river?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com