BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New England Cruising Club
 Nantucket
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ct River Ice is out..... Topic Next Topic: Essex boat Parade ?  

firstlight

RO# 16749

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  08:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been to Block a dozen times and love it. Wife and I enjoy the great beaches and the ability to dingy to beach.
We got a new boat and looking to venture to Nantucket and points east from N.Y.
How does Nantucket compare to Block, beaches, restaurants, docking etc. Thanks

Homeport: City Island New York

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  08:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice place, VERY pricey compared to Block. Try to plan your fuel purchase OFF island. When we where there a few years ago, fuel in my area was in the upper $2 range while it was $5.75 in Nantucket. I shudder to see what it is today.

Marina gets quite crowded with tourists due to the what seems like constant flow of passenger ferries in and out of the place. Docking was easy and IIRC we were assisted by an all female staff. Lots of decent yet expensive restaurants. Again the first word that always pops into my mind for Nantucket is "expensive"

The year we did Nantucket we visited all 3 islands, Block, Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket. My favourite is still Block and the wife's is MV. Nantucket came in 3rd for both of us. (But we will still go back in the future.)

Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  08:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was unaware of the price difference but it is on my bucket list. I too have been to Block several times and enjoy it but would like to venture to new places just to change things up and keep things interesting.

What about boating is every cheap? The good news is the price of fuel is coming down.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

caltexfla

RO# 14522

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  09:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nantucket is easily the most expensive of the bunch, and our least favorite, but that's pretty personal as obviously a lot of people love it. Moorings are an alternative to the Boat Basin with good launch service, then you spend your savings in about 15 minutes once on shore. We prefer MV ourselves, more variety and things to do and see. Don't forget to stop in Cuttyhunk and hike around, and Memensha on the south east side of MV... both a bit less honky tonk than the other stops and nice beaches. We never docked in any of them, always took a mooring or anchored. Much more privacy and quiet. Great cruising grounds. When in the vicinity, Westport Harbor MA is another very pretty, low key stop with a great beach; the inlet can be a little too "interesting" at max ebb, slack tide is best and call Tripps on CH 9 for local knowledge and a mooring or slip.

Homeport: Wherever Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  11:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ve spend a bit of time on Nantucket over the past 4 summers and find it to be one if my favorite.

Yes, fuel is usually $2 more so try to refuel elsewhere. Pt Judith marina is usually amount the cheapest in the area, if range is problem then call some of the harbors in the south shore of cape CID

Dockage at the boat basin is nice but a bit pricey (although not really worst than other NE hot spots). Big down side is lack of privacy... You can't beat the moorings. There is a very good launch service as well as dinghy docks although crowded. With a good dink, don't miss exploring the upper harbor, many nice beaches. Restaurants are a little more $, depends where you go

Nantucket has very nice bike path network, worth bringing bikes or renting

I ve never been too impressed by MV, it s easier to get there by ferry so it s more crowded and has more of a mass tourism feel. Edgartown is a nice stop though, much better than V heaven.

I m glad George mentionned Cutthunk, it's one of my favorite stops. It s usually our guests favorite stop as well, even those who really said they wanted to go to block, thy end up preceding Cutty. Dockage is among the cheapest in NE, $2 or $2.50 a foot.

Going to Nantucket from LIS, i usually take the buzzards bay route, running close to the islands shoreline and thru woods hole. Nice and scenic. A lunch stop at Hadley Harbor is a must. Depending on tide and wind the stretch between WH and VH can be a bit rough

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

firstlight

RO# 16749

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  12:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see my good friend George, Caltexfla, has crossed paths again. George was of great help when I transported my new boat from North Carolina.
How would you all compare beaches in Block to MV and Nantucket and can you get to beaches with dingy? Thanks Frank

Homeport: City Island New York Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  13:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For breakfast, ignore the tourist obsession with the Downyflake. It's good, but nothing special. You wait an hour for a table for nothing special. You want to walk across the street/Stop and Shop parking lot/street to the Hen House. It's down behind the pharmacy. Best breakfast on the island. Try the eggs benedict with corned beef hash.

Best calamari on island is the Brotherhood of Thieves. Straight Wharf has great seafood chowder. One fantastic restaurant (bit pricey) is Brant Point Grill, at the White Elephant (right by the boat ramp and Children's Beach - walk out of downtown towards Brant Point, hang a right on Easton St., it'll be on the right) - lobster a la plancha that will blow your mind.

Best pizza you will ever eat in your life? Pi Pizzeria. It's in the mid-island, also, close to Hen House.

Cisco Brewery - don't miss Cisco Brewery. I'd just take a cab there.

And speaking of cabs on island, they are cheap, it's rare for them to overcharge tourists (they've been known to habitually undercharge residents because they know they'll make it up on the tip, so when they charge full rate, people whine they got gipped). But still, if you're calling for a cab rather than grabbing one in the line at A&P parking lot or Steamship, there is one and ONLY ONE cab to call. Chief's Cab, 508-284-8497. Trust me on this one - he's the best cab driver around, guaranteed to make you laugh, and the only cab driver you''ll ever ride featured in his own Nantucket Nectar's cap (seriously).

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

JohnC

RO# 204

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  20:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
How would you all compare beaches in Block to MV and Nantucket and can you get to beaches with dingy?

I always stay on a mooring in Edgartown and usually run the dinghy to Katama bay and go to the beach from there which is nice. Normally I go to the east side of the cut which is pretty quiet. Last year I went further to the west and then walked to the main section of 'South Beach' to meet other friends who were there. It was nice but it was so crowded I felt like I was at Jones Beach... Better off to the east if you like it quiet. It is a fairly long run from the mooring field to the beach but it's a nice ride.

I have not yet been to Nantucket but really like MV and prefer it over Block. Block is very nice but much more to explore on MV. From Edgartown with a good dinghy there's plenty to explore by water too.

John

Homeport: Long Island, New York Go to Top of Page

sortie

RO# 2043

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  22:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George has pretty much nailed it. Except for the remarks about Westport. You don't want to go there, very slow, lots of bugs, dangerous entrance, nothing to do etc etc. By all means go to nantucket or MV or Block, don't go to Cuttyhunk or Westport. :)

That is my home country, have always enjoyed Menemsha and Block,especially Cuttyhunk. Nantucket,Newport are overrated and way over priced,my opinion.

Have a great summer of cruising. If not for my admirals' illnes we would be there for the summer, just not to be. We will probably never get back there.

John

Life is To Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Homeport: Merritt Island, FL Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Jun 04 2012 :  08:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll chime in as well. Nantucket is worth a visit. You asked specifically about the beaches. Nantucket is a much bigger Island so there's a bigger choice of beaches. There are several on Nantucket that are a dinghy ride from the boat basin/mooring field. Other would require a bike or cab ride. More variety on Nantucket of cove vs. ocean. South facing will obviously have more surf. But I would describe them as very similar in most ways. Nantucked is a much fancier island than Block. More expensive, more variety of restaurants, shops, etc.. Also, much bigger boats. Block is mostly family cruising boats in the 35-45ft range. The Boat Basin on Nantucket is dominated by large yachts. Last time I was there, we were totally shadowed by 80+ ft yachts on all sides. Next time I would certainly take a mooring. For us, Nantucket is a lot farther. So all in all, I'd go to Block much more frequently.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

caltexfla

RO# 14522

Posted - Jun 04 2012 :  17:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of our most favorite boating pursuits, taking the dink to beaches hard to access by any other means; we were just enjoying the south side of Carrot Island / Bird Shoal off Beaufort NC yesterday

I have to admit I have never gone to the beach on Nantucket or the upper part of MV. We went to the beach at Memensha Bight for a quick picnic which was nice. The beaches at Cuttyhunk are fun (ocean side and beach by harbor entrance), but if you want something much less populated, anchor in Tarpaulin Cove east of Cuttyhunk and explore around or hang out there for a day. We were based in Westport, so had Horseneck Beach the best beach of all a dinghy ride away, down by the inlet you were well away from the public beach and beach clubs, you beached the dinghy on the river side and had nice clear mostly fresh water to play in. Also a popular sand bar right there too out in the harbor. Doesn't get much better anywhere. So it wasn't like we were really beach hunters when going to MV or NKT or Cutty.

Another favorite is Napatree Beach near WatchHill RI, recently discussed here. Perfect for anchoring out inside and taking the dink in. Very nice.

Homeport: Wherever Go to Top of Page

sierra

RO# 28541

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  07:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been a great thread with terrific info - thanks to everyone who has contributed. I'll be hitting Nantucket for the first time, leaving from Montauk this summer. I was surprised not to see any Route Sharing files between these two points on Active Captain. While there are obviously a few options, it appears to me that my best move is to pass Block on the north side and head to Vineyard Sound and around rather than taking the Muskeget Channel (or passing to the south of Nantucket). There's not a significant distance penalty and it would seem that I'll be in more protected waters but would love to hear any feedback/suggestions. We cruise at 20 - 25 kts and won't be making any stops along the way. We will obviously be paying close attention to the wind forecast as we're looking for a comfortable travel day, not a "got to get there" delivery run.

Thanks in advance.

Homeport: East Coast, USA Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  08:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sierra, your route is the preferred route. Not only will you get out of ocean swells once you enter Vineyard Sound, the water is deeper and you don't have to be as worried about shoaling. Shoaling can be significant south and west of Nantucket and aroud nomans.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

dougs2452

RO# 17057

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  17:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn i thought this had to do with a song from West, Bruce and Lainge (mountian) about a whale draging a fishing boat around.

wellcraft coastal 250

Homeport: Brandon, Florida Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  19:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone cut between Nantucket and MV except with local knowledge

If you have and wind or wave from the south, the buzzards bay / woods hole route is smoother than vineyard sound

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

jrpar

RO# 11343

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  19:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most do seem to avoid that area..
Used the channel on the west side a few times and go around now.. Too many ledges, etc. and the ride is so much better inside. I prefer the buzzards route as well and if the bay is a bit rough I'll run thru Quicks Hole to the sound.

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

TimHenn

RO# 126

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  20:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two cents, I love Nantucket. We go to the Boat Basin and set out everyday on an adventure. The public transportation to the beach is quite nice and the beaches (surfside) is one of the best. Food is great, atmosphere is great, I guess I'm one of those that LOVE it. Going this year late in July.

Block is different but we LOVE it there as well. We've always gone to Paine's dock...some don't like it but we've got to know the owners, the area and it's so convenient for everyone. Ballards Beach is worth the trip ONLY if you like a crowd, music, service on the beach and a lot of young people. Even better is biking up to the light house and then traversing (if you are able) the steps down to Mohegan Bluffs. This is a remote beach with excellent surf. We go everytime. The OAR sunsets with drinks and dinner is legendary. If you like to moore the salt pond is busy but accomodating.

If I had to pick -- I couldn't -- we hit Newport, then Block, then Nantucket in our late July trip this year.

Definitely carry fuel so you don't have to top off in Nantucket.

Don't listen to anyone about Cutty, don't go there!, stay away! :)

Homeport: Portsmouth, RI Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  21:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PascalG

I don't think anyone cut between Nantucket and MV except with local knowledge

If you have and wind or wave from the south, the buzzards bay / woods hole route is smoother than vineyard sound

I never cared much for Muskeget Channel. Can't even put my finger on exactly what it was, but there was something discomforting about that route.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Dec 23 2014 :  09:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking to plan a trip for next year.
Like to include Block, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
Looking for advice on best time to go, July or August.
Distance from Block to MV, MV to Nantucket, and Nantucket and Block?
Marina's to stay at.

Any other help appreciated!!

Thanks!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Dec 23 2014 :  10:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All those islands are different but interesting. Water was too cold go swimming for me. Global warming may have fixed that though.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Dec 23 2014 :  15:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We loved and used to visit Nantucket every summer but haven't been there for about 10 year. Mike likse Brotherhood of Thieves for the calamari. I love it for where it is and its character. If I were to recommend one thing to bring to Nantucket it would be a bag of money.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Dec 23 2014 :  18:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nantucket is a lot nicer than Marthas vineyard which being closer to the mainland is easier to get to by ferrys. Plus you won't run into emperor obama in nantucket...

The boat basin is pretty much the only game in town if you want to dock. That said, the best way to end nantucket is on a mooring with more privacy and better vies. Too many people walking the docks at the boats basin. The town has a Very good launch service...

Forgot the distances.., it s about 70nm from newprort to nantucket, probably about the same from block. MV is on the way, you can't really go straight from Nantucket to block anyway,

Instead of MV, consider a stop at Cuttyhunk, one night. Then run up the bay and cross at woodshole with a lunch stop at Hadley harbor, VERY VERY pretty place.

Yeah water is cold, can't really swim till lay July

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Dec 24 2014 :  07:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nantucket had the best scallops I ever ate. I would go back just for that.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Dec 24 2014 :  09:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't forget the distances as I need to plan this out for a bunch of boats all with different fuel needs and capacities. Plus we are coming from south shore of Long Island and need to see if we can make the run straight or stop off. I know we don't want to get fuel in MV or Nantucket as I hear it's pricey. I guess a fill up in Montauk at star island would carry most boats round trip.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Dec 24 2014 :  10:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ve never refused at montauk but being NY I d things fuel is more expensive. Pt Judith marina usually has the cheapest fuel in the area along with Fairhaven. If y take the buzzard bay route Fairhaven isnt a big detour Right across from woodshole.

Ps. I didn't say "forget" the distances, I said forgot as in "I forgot" :)

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Dec 24 2014 :  11:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great trip and one that we have done many times over the past 30 years.
Some questions that may help direct our answers:
1. Do you prefer the upscale Marinas ?
2. You can almost anchor or grab a mooring everywhere you go, most with incredible views as Pascal mentioned.
3. Will kids be present ? If not, I would avoid Oak Bluffs on MV, it is somewhat of a carnival town with very heavy tourist traffic.
4. Menemsha on MV is a nice quite remote fishing village with a nice inner harbor for the dinks or snorkeling. Only downside is reservations are only accepted the morning of the arrival day. Which is tough if you have a few boats. We would just hang out on the hook in Cuttyhunk until a slip opened up. It is a short 5 mile crossing into Menemsha with the Gayhead cliffs on your starboard side.
5. Nantucket would be the Gem of the trip. The south shore beaches are beautiful. Lots of European travelers and boats.

Tom
41' President

Homeport: Essex, Ct Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Ct River Ice is out..... Topic Next Topic: Essex boat Parade ?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com