BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: gtex50 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Leaky window ??
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fuel Gauge Topic Next Topic: Near Catastrophe GOOD INFO inboard flanged coupler  

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  08:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went down to check on boat after storms here in N/E. Just bought the boat and first rain. Found water leaking from hung cabinets along the bulkhead just under the windows. I can't quite place where the water is coming from. This is a 96 Carver Express "Mid Cabin". The small windows run the length of the boat on both sides, I inspected the bow rails etc and can't see where the water could be coming in from.....

I know it's vaigue but anyone have any tips on where to start? There is a stain on the material covering the hull on that side by the leak so looks like it may have either been there before or is always been there....

Did not see any water when I sprayed/washed boat....odd...
Douglas Warren
"You never get sumthin' for nuthin'"

Homeport: ny

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  09:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pix inside and out would help.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  09:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fixed or opening windows?

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  10:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this will post.

Douglas Warren

Homeport: ny Go to Top of Page

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  10:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The leak is actually coming down between the break in the cabinets. To the left the larger cabinets and to the right the smaller, there is a separation between them where the water seems to be coming, however, the bolt in the larger cabinet had water on it as well.

Can't figure it out....

Douglas Warren

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  10:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That leak looks like it's been there a long time. I'd start over on that window, take the frame and glass off and re-gasket/re-bed the whole thing.

2001 Tiara 2900 Open - "O Sole Mio" - Stillwater, MN

Edited by - Veg on Jul 19 2012 10:31:34

Homeport: Stillwater, MN Go to Top of Page

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  10:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Window does open but slightly, doesn't seem to make a great seal as it just butts up to the forward window that has a rubber stop. I did see some water in the channel on the inside of the window frame but didn't seem to be enought there to explain the amount of water I was seeing dripping from cabinet.
quote:
Originally posted by dwarren

Not sure if this will post.

Douglas Warren

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  10:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The opening section is probably not the only one that's leaking... Like I said, I'd take the whole thing off and re-bed and re-gasket everything. You might have several leaks there, including between the window frame and the deck.

But, next big rain, try to be in there to observe...

Edited by - Veg on Jul 19 2012 10:45:08

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  11:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with rebedding the window/hatch.

I don't think it's the only problem though. I don't see any stain above the cabinet. I'm wondering if the rub rail is behind the cabinets. If so, my money is on poorly sealed / unsealed screws holding the rub rail in place and voids in the hull to deck joint. BTDT with my 2465 Regal.

If the stain in the cabinet (bottom right next to the 1/4 round molding) is mold, this problem is several months old and the cabinets may be starting to rot. BTDT with Saint Max.

Agree with Veg about being there for the next big rain. However depending on the upcoming weather in your area you may be able to duplicate the problem with a spray nozzle on a hose at the dock.

Good Luck!

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  07:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rub Rail is actually almost parallel with the top of the cabinet but I don't think that's the issue as the force of the water is significant enough to cause a spray effect at times. Something major is opened somewhere....I think it either has to be the outside perimiter of the window or the bedding.....

Any idea where to go to get the betting for these?

Douglas Warren

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  10:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd contact Carver (I think they're still in business right?). Manufacturers can sometimes be very helpful. I have a leaky windshield I'm about to have fixed, and Tiara just sent me an 8 page PDF document with detailed step by step instructions (and images) for disassembling and re-glazing, material and tool lists, product numbers for the materials they can supply, as well as a cross section drawing of the windshield assemblies. This for the sectional windshields on their boats from the '80s to early '00s.

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  12:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
opening windows have drains at the bottom of the track. make sure they are not plugged.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  10:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, more than just a few screws to pull on this. Verified that the water was coming through forward part of window. Removed the cover and screws for forward part of hatch and scrapped all of the old seal out (wet and spongy). Used 3M 4000 and really filled it up on both top and bottom and re-screwed. Saw excess bulge out on all sides then ran a temp bead (thin)down entire length of window for good measure. Will let cure and re-test. Can't pull entire window for a while but I have a new canister of 4000 standing by for when I can. Will keep you posted. Important note, previous owner called and had been tracking down for some time. He thought windshield but I couldn't replicate. Very cool that he offered to come down and help me though......still good honest people around.

Douglas Warren

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  20:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  09:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dry as a bone.....huge storms today will complete hopefully good story.

Douglas Warren

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  09:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright! Good job!

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  10:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spoke too soon.....dammit......hung out on Sat and deluge hit....great storm. No water seen then about a half hour into it, it started dripping, I couldn't believe it. Normally, in the past, it would leak right away. Don't believe it's the window anymore, possibly coming down from above the mid cabin. Not rub rail either, rail is below window. Oh well keep digging I guess.....

Douglas Warren

bobalong

RO# 19429

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  11:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaks anywhere are a real pain. Fought my 83 Sea Ray Dancer windows for years till I read on here about the flexing from walking on the fore deck flexing the frames / seals and just bad design.
Our new to us home had one loose shingle nail. Ran down the roof truss, run down 2-3 ft then drip into the wall behind the drywall.
My 02 F-150, turn signals and pwr door locks and dome lights became possessed. Leak top driver side of windshield, down the pillar behind the dash into the electronics on inside of firewall. Not a drop in sight till I lifted the floor mat.
I have more but you get the point.
My suggestion is to get a garden hose and wet a given area at a time. Wait 15 minutes (while it is running) and move it a foot, keep going till you get the drip. Sooner or later you'll narrow it down to a smaller area and eventually the light bulb in your head will come on. "why didn't I figure that out before" ??

Homeport: Sutherrrn Indianannna Go to Top of Page

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  14:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's what I though I had done but looks like negatory....bummer......

Douglas Warren

Previous Topic: Fuel Gauge Topic Next Topic: Near Catastrophe GOOD INFO inboard flanged coupler  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com