BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: wlsomaha ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 3 bank charger jumper
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: XANTREX FREEDOM 3000 INVERTER Topic Next Topic: Fuel Gauge  

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  10:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came across something interesting yesterday... I had to replace a 4D AGM that was only 3 years old, not holding charge,dropping back to 10.7 v as soon as the charger was turned off, and pretty warm to the touch

It's one if 2 batteries (4Ds) used for only for generator starting (2 generators) and some light house duties (only 2 VHFs and 5 stereos, all but one being rarely used)

Charger is a smart 3 stage Pro Mariner (Protech 4-1230) which afaik is original to the boat. I pulled the manual and found that while the battery type switch was set correctly,two other things were incorrect:

Dip switches for absorption time were set for one hour whereas the manual recommends 4 hours for 4Ds

Missing jumper between one of the used output terminals to the third and unused terminal

I wonder if this would explain why those batteries don't seem to last more than 3 to 4 years.

Unfortunately, until recently there were no visible volt meter for the 12v system so I had no mean to check and keep track of voltages. It s a pet peeve of mine... Hiding voltmeters, amp meters, bilge and sump pump lights behind solid cabinetry is plain stupid!

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  12:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your answer is "yes". I had some wiring and battery work done this year and the electrician found the exact same problem with my ProMariner. He replaced the jumper and now all works well.

Bob

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement
SSI Certified Instructor Level 1

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: XANTREX FREEDOM 3000 INVERTER Topic Next Topic: Fuel Gauge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com