BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 Boating Safety Certificates Suffolk County
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fire Island Inet Closed to Boats!!! Topic Next Topic: Vandalism on my boat  

CmdrCamille

RO# 32947

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  06:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like, starting next year, people operating boats in Suffolk County will be required to have taken a boating safety course and have the certificate of completion with them when boating, if their boat is registered in Suffok County. Anyone interested in taking the course can contact the Captree Power Squadron at (631) 991-2720 for information on their upcoming courses.
I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. Abraham Lincoln

Edited by - CmdrCamille on Sep 16 2012 06:52:00

Homeport: NY

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  14:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is a website pot it and I will make it a sticky
Thanks for the heads up

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

CmdrCamille

RO# 32947

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  16:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.usps.org/localusps/captree/

Class schedules will be updated on the website shortly. If you need an immediate response please feel free to call.

Thanks Walter

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. Abraham Lincoln

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  16:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I took power squadron safety class that also gets you a jet ski license 10 years ago. Is that still valid?

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

ALKA2710

RO# 25407

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  16:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does power squadron keep records of who took there class. I took it about 5 years ago with my kids and not sure if I will be able to find the certificates.
Al

Homeport: FREEPORT Go to Top of Page

CmdrCamille

RO# 32947

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  17:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Power Squadron does keep records of courses taken. You should contact the squadron you took the course from.

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  18:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the New York State Boating Safety Certificate. Do I need something else?
My duaghter also has one. My wife and 12 year old son still need to take a course. I'll keep an eye on your website to see when you schedule the date/time at Howitt MS.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  10:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JVM225

I have the New York State Boating Safety Certificate. Do I need something else?
My duaghter also has one. My wife and 12 year old son still need to take a course. I'll keep an eye on your website to see when you schedule the date/time at Howitt MS.

The way this reads you will not need anything else. In fact if you live in Nassau you apparently won't need anything at all. Yet again Suffolk does dumb things in their haste to be out in front of the world. If you want to outlaw clueless boaters, why would you care where they were from?

http://legis.suffolkcountyny.gov/resos2012/i1797-12.pdf

"A. No resident of Suffolk County shall operate a pleasure vessel upon the waters of Suffolk
County unless the operator is the holder of a boating safety certificate issued by the
Commissioner of the New York State Department of Parks, Recreation and Historic
Preservation; by the United States Power Squadrons; by the United States Coast Guard
Auxiliary; or by any entity that offers a boating course that meets the standards set by
the National Association of Boating Law Administrators.
B. All residents of Suffolk County operating a pleasure vessel upon the waters of Suffolk
County shall maintain their boating safety certificate on board their vessel during all
periods of operation."

Thanks,
Ron

Homeport: Amityville, NY Go to Top of Page

CmdrCamille

RO# 32947

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  10:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to amend my initial posting which was based on Newsday's article. I have read the proposed law and it is applicable to all residents of Suffolk County operating a boat in the "Waters of Suffolk County". It does NOT matter where the boat is registered.

To answer other questions pertaining to certificates issued prior to the enactment of the law. The law just says that "No resident of Suffolk County shall operate a pleasure vessel upon the waters of Suffolk County unless the operator is a holder of a boating safety certificate issued by..." the Power Sqaudron, Coast Guard or the NYS Dept. of Parks or any other entity who offers boating safety course meeting the standards of the National Association of Boating Law Administrators. The certificate must be on board during operation.
Also , persons holding boating safety certificates issued by any other state or municipality are exempt.

Edited by - CmdrCamille on Sep 17 2012 11:00:21

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  11:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if you live in Nassau and drive into Suffolk?
This is ridiculous.
I have my safety card alredy, so I am good!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

BillyK

RO# 24466

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  13:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I took a power squadron course in 1967 when I was 10 years old in Huntington. I doubt I can find my certification. What do I have to do. Would they really keep records that far back.

Billy 10k.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Homeport: Patchogue, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  15:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This law shall take effect one year after its filing in the Office of the Secretary of State

what is the filing date?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  15:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it has yet to be signed by the County Exec so that date has not happened nor been determined.

Thanks,
Ron

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  16:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ronp

I believe it has yet to be signed by the County Exec so that date has not happened nor been determined.

so this may nt be needed till very late 2013 or 2014?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  16:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abalmuth

quote:
Originally posted by ronp

so this may nt be needed till very late 2013 or 2014?

That's what I'd expect. My guess though is that the state will probably supersede it before it ever goes into effect.

Thanks,
Ron

bmac

RO# 29428

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  19:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What horse crap....

Homeport: Blue Point, NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  20:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this something serious, or just a wild proposal by a politician looking to capitalize on recent newsworthy events to get themselves some press?

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

littlebookworm

RO# 27413

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  12:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think it's a great idea; but, it should be statewide. Boaters from Nassau or Westchester or other states boat in Suffolk county waters as well. There are too many "boaters" on the waters who have no idea of the rules of the road or how to handle a boat, never mind not knowing boating etiquette. Our 12 year old grandson can legally drive his parents' 46-foot boat because he took a jetski safety course! He knows how because his parents taught him what he should know to be a sfe boater. Others aren't that well-educated. It's ridiculous that a 35-year old who's never taking a course can legally drive that boat even though he doesn't know starboard from port. "He paid for the boat, so he has a 'right' to drive it." No, he shouldn't, not unless he knows hoe to do so safely. Hy

Homeport: New Rochelle, NY Go to Top of Page

Outlaw Pete

RO# 31327

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  15:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally,I think its BS. No cure for stupid and this coarse ins't going to solve that. 27 people on one boat and 16 kids on another with boat captain driving drunk. What is really needed is a course in math for all of our elective officials so they can balance a budget. I now have to spend my money on a course I do not need.

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  16:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not a bad course, I have taken it.
Every boater will benefit from it.
Gets into alot of basics, charting, loading, etc.
Also gets your a discount on your insurance!

if the funds went to cleaning up our waterways, then I am for it, if they are going to politicion pockets then I am not!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Previous Topic: Fire Island Inet Closed to Boats!!! Topic Next Topic: Vandalism on my boat  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com