BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 130 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: Bumpo64 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Regal Owners
 Regal 3780 Survey - UPDATE, purchased!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Regal 3780/3880/4080 Clearance for Winter Storage Topic Next Topic: 2000 Regal 402 Commodore - reduced to $89,500  

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  14:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Regal folks! My name is Jim, I am normally on the Carver side, but may be making my way over here!

I am in the process of (potentially) purchasing a 2001 Regal 3780 that can be seen here:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/Regal-3780-Commodore-Sedan-Bridge-2504876/Mentor/OH/United-States

These are the items from the survey that was done 8/1. Can anyone weigh in on the severity of these and any recommendations of weather or not I should continue on or run? Love the boat, layout, price, etc. Just need some additional feedback if you might be so kind!

#61623; The longitudinal stringers from the transom to the salon have moderate to high moisture intrusion.
#61623; Recommendation; The engine mounts and tabbing are secure, monitor on an annual basis and keep water out of the bilge.
#61623; The deck at the bow pulpit has moderate to high moisture intrusion at the port side deck.
#61623; Recommendation, Suggest removing the small hatch covers the next layup and allowing drying out and re-bedding in the spring.
#61623; The bow rail forward of amidships on the port side has a small bend in it
#61623; Recommendation, Repair as r3quired

Thanks for any info!

Jim

Edited by - ChefJunk on Sep 19 2012 16:56:33

Homeport: Sandusky, OH

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  15:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the stringers? Wood encapsulated in fiberglass? Any theories as to why so much intrusion? Personally the high level of moisture in the stringers would give me pause. I'd be tempted to walk.

2001 Tiara 2900 Open - "O Sole Mio" - Stillwater, MN

Homeport: Stillwater, MN Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  15:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moisture in stringers and bow pulpit is NOT good. You will be eventually repairing both, and it won't be cheap.

Look for another boat, your surveyor just saved you an expensive headache.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  15:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

Moisture in stringers and bow pulpit is NOT good. You will be eventually repairing both, and it won't be cheap.

Look for another boat, your surveyor just saved you an expensive headache.

+1
Run Forrest, run

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

Kellyg

RO# 19800

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  15:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Good luck on your search for the Regal. I own the same boat which I purchased new in 2001 and can hopefully share some thoughts to your concerns.

#61623; The longitudinal stringers from the transom to the salon have moderate to high moisture intrusion.

- I would agree with the yearly monitoring and as long as the motor mount area is ok. I would also want to know the extent of any damage if any is present. Were both the mid and aft bilge areas dry? If not I would question the accuracy of the test in such a high moisture area. Others with more experience in this area can certainly offer there expertise. As for keeping the bilge dry.....good luck. There are many owners of this style boat that I think would agree that keeping the bilge entirely dry is nearly impossible. There are numerous ways for water to gain entry. Heavy rains will flood the deck and burden the drains along with poor seals on cockpit flooring, poor caulking at transom to hull attachment as well as along the rubrail. Regal also allowed the condensation from the salon a/c to drain directly into the midship bilge. Bad point is, there is no bilge pump there and in order for the water to flow to the next compartment where a pump is, would require an accumulation of at least 6-8 inches. Most owners have diverted the water either by passive or mechanical systems.

#61623; The deck at the bow pulpit has moderate to high moisture intrusion at the port side deck.

- If you are referring to the bow hatches, I would agree with the surveyor. My hatch covers became wet due to no caulking around the latches and screw holes. I removed mine and allowed to dry over the winter and repaired in the spring. Ceertainly not a deal breaker.

61623; The bow rail forward of amidships on the port side has a small bend in it

- Depending on the severity, that could be an expensive repair.

All of these should be carefully weighed against the price of the boat.

Did you have a mechanical survey on the engines & genset performed? Be certain to have a minimum of a compression test on the engines as well as checking computer codes. Also perform a thorough sea trial under various conditions to be certain the engines can achieve wide open throttle (which is ~4900-5100rpm for the Merc Horizon 7.4l).

Gary
Mt. Sinai, NY
2001 Regal 3780
2002 Striper 2101DC

Smooth seas never made a skillful mariner.

Edited by - Kellyg on Sep 17 2012 15:46:35

Homeport: Patchogue,NY Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  15:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stringers are the big concern here, this is structural. Before making a decision I d try ginger more information on how the stringers are built. If the wood is just there to serve as a mold for the glass, then it s not critical but if the glass layup relies on the wood, i d be concerned. Lighyly encapsulated stringers were an issue years ago, I m surprised this is coming up on a fairly recent regal

The rail can be fixed by any decent metal guy...

The moisture in the foredeck should not be a big issue as long as the decks are not soft and no hardware like cleats or pulpit are compromised Did the surveyor sounded the decks with a hammer? How did they sound!

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  16:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To find out how it's made I would contact Regal.
They have a great customer service dept.
They may even know where the known issues are with it.
I had a recent leaky bolt on a support holding my swim platform.
Called and they said no issues as transom does not use wood.
Will address when I haul.
Stringers in the regal are very solid but they do screw things into them and the regal does have a very wet bilge.

Besides the stringers the other items are no big deal.
It's a great boat and that price sounds good.
Best of luck if you go forward.
There are a few out there for sale.
Buy Rommers!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Edited by - CurrentSea on Sep 17 2012 16:26:49

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

jpowell

RO# 15168

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  18:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd buy Rommers. Little more money but you will get diesels.

Jay Powell
Sailfish 245DC
"Less Cha-Ching"

Homeport: Stevensville, MD Go to Top of Page

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  18:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I would love to. However, they are taking my trade and the price was lowered wuite a bit. The boat is affordable to me, but at the very highest end of affordability at the present time. I wish I could swing it, I absolutely love that boat and it is why I stareted looking at this model!

Jim

I will be proceeding with a survey. The survey above was done when they took it in on a trade. We'll start at the stringer in question and go no further if I don't feel comfortable.

quote:
Originally posted by jpowell

I'd buy Rommers. Little more money but you will get diesels.

Homeport: Sandusky, OH Go to Top of Page

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  21:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ChefJunk - Just my .02, I wouldn't buy a boat at the "very highest end of affordability" to me if it had wet stringer and other wet coring issues that I already know of. I'm sure you're already accounting for the potential expenditures, but it might be cheaper to find a boat without the issues.

I'm sure no one has to tell you any of this, but I also know how excited one can get when boat shopping, it's very easy to justify extending the budget!

2001 Tiara 2900 Open - "O Sole Mio" - Stillwater, MN

Homeport: Stillwater, MN Go to Top of Page

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  21:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veg

ChefJunk - Just my .02, I wouldn't buy a boat at the "very highest end of affordability" to me if it had wet stringer and other wet coring issues that I already know of. I'm sure you're already accounting for the potential expenditures, but it might be cheaper to find a boat without the issues.

I'm sure no one has to tell you any of this, but I also know how excited one can get when boat shopping, it's very easy to justify extending the budget!

Yes, I'm budgeting for canvas and other five figure projects down the road, I just can't get into the 150+ area just yet. We'll see, going to talk to both surveyors tomorrow.

Jim

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  16:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spoke with my preferred surveyor, he holds the surveyor that did this survey in high regard. I also spoke to the orignal surveyor and am MUCH more comfortable now. I am having the boat hoisted for a hull survey tomorrow and will be revisiting the above items with the second surveyor. Depending on how it goes, I may have a new boat!

A couple of random questions:
I see filler cushions, but the table base does not seem to lower. Does this form a berth?

The step down to the galley, does that come out for access?

There is a piece of plywood, on the underside of the stairs leading to the bridge. It is loose but appears to have only been taped into position originally. Thoughts?

Any other areas I should check? Spent some time on the boat today and it is in remarkable condition, IMHO.

Thanks,

Jim

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  17:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I have the 2007. So my model layout may be different.

For table to become a berth you need a small pipe. It drops table down to about a foot off floor. Then filler cushions go on top of table to make a big bed. Pipe is usually under seat by table. That area is deep so look around. If not there can easily be made from PVC or purchased.

Step to galley on my boat opens but there is nothing in there. Just storage.

Steps to bridge are fiberglass. No idea why plywood is there. Perhaps someone cut a hole to get access to something. This could be a source of water getting where it don't belong. I would pull it up and see what is under it.

If boat is cosmetically and mechanically sound then it's a great boat.
We love ours.
Best of luck.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  17:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurrentSea

Ok I have the 2007. So my model layout may be different.

For table to become a berth you need a small pipe. It drops table down to about a foot off floor. Then filler cushions go on top of table to make a big bed. Pipe is usually under seat by table. That area is deep so look around. If not there can easily be made from PVC or purchased.

Step to galley on my boat opens but there is nothing in there. Just storage.

Steps to bridge are fiberglass. No idea why plywood is there. Perhaps someone cut a hole to get access to something. This could be a source of water getting where it don't belong. I would pull it up and see what is under it.

If boat is cosmetically and mechanically sound then it's a great boat.
We love ours.
Best of luck.

So long as it's nuts are tight...

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  19:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your help here folks!

The plywood piece is actually under the stairs, in the engine room, and forms a horizontal "bottom" to the steps. There is no fiberglass cut, anywhere.

I am still trying to get 100% comfortable with the deal and have buyers nerves. Assuming the survey is good and everything is OK tomorrow, and that the boat is freshwater, one owner, very good condition, and has 350 hours, does $115 sound like a fair deal in today's economy? This is $90 plus my trade (I want $25 minimum for it, but have had a challenge selling it).

Any rough guesses as to what the boat would be worth in 5 years with good care and normal usage? Assuming the world does not end in december lol. And that Gas is not $30/gallon. And that the Asian Carp have not swallowed up Lake Erie.

Again, any advice is appreciated. I am fully prepared for it to go either way tomorrow and feel the more prepared I am, the better!

Thanks,

Jim

Pa Mikee

RO# 32785

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  20:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would expect the boat to loose about 10% per year or roughly 40% over 5 years. Larger, older boats do not seem to depreciate as fast as they do when they are new. Estimating the value is just a guess.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Kellyg

RO# 19800

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  21:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

To help answer a few of your questions.

The step down to the galley, does that come out for access?
- The step can be removed and allows access to the top of the fresh water tank for pick-up and level sensor repairs. There are 2 screws hidden
in the carpet (front and back of step)

There is a piece of plywood, on the underside of the stairs leading to the bridge. It is loose but appears to have only been taped into position originally. Thoughts?

Removal of that plywood allows access to under the stairs where various wires and port shifter/throttle cable are routed. Many of us have cut an access door in the fiberglass to the side of the stairs and placed a door there. I then placed a plywood floor. Allows tons of space for storage.

Check the cedar closets in forward stateroom for signs of water leaks caused by the windshield

As for the price,it's difficult to predict future prices.

Gary
Mt. Sinai, NY
2001 Regal 3780
2002 Striper 2101DC

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  06:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plywood under the bridge, don't think I ever looked up under mine, makes sense.

I never did cut that door for access, cutting holes scares me!

I would see if you can find someone with access to boatssold website and tell you what they have sold for.
Price sounds good to me given age. Hours are light.
It's a real good boat and a great design.
I wish regal made a bigger one sometimes in the same exact design.

My issues with boat (may not be the same as yours, but things to check).
- Supports for swim platform (I had a loose bolt start to leak).
- Windshield (my canvas was attached to windshield top and it pulled out of rubber in a strong wind running once, taylor replaced windhshield and added more supprts).
- A/C Unit in salon (sucks air from bilge, I ran tubing to vents in floor to suck air from salon and not thru bilge)

Given that the motors are in service for 12 years now, what has been done to them?
Risers, manifolds, etc.
Any motor over 10 years old will need some overhauling in my eyes.
Consider thermal imaging motors to see if hot spots or have mechanic pull risers to see what's going on.
Volvo's are a half system so if never done, they are due!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  16:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hull survey went quite well, other issues were looked at and were explained better. Surveyor is a friend of the family and he gave it two thumbs up. I am transferring my boats contents tonight! Glad to be part of the Regal family now!

Jim

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  17:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats!
Send pics when you get it all shined up!
Enjoy it.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

rythmstrat

RO# 32479

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  19:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jim, we'll miss you on the Carver threads!

Congrats, and best of luck with the new boat!

Scott.
Moose Deer Point Marina
'90 Carver Santego DC 3897
2001 Seadoo LRV.

Homeport: Twelve Mile Bay, Georgian Bay, Ontario Go to Top of Page

Kellyg

RO# 19800

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  21:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Congratulations on the new purchase and welcome to the Regal family.
How did the sea trial go?

Gary
Mt. Sinai, NY
2001 Regal 3780
2002 Striper 2101DC

Edited by - Kellyg on Sep 19 2012 21:24:01

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  05:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Jim...what dock are you moving to?

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  07:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations. That's a great boat.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  08:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the well wishes! I'll get some pics once I get moved on (what a process!).

Kenny, im in the old transient section at the moment. Will be moving to pier 11 after the carver is gone. Can't get the port motor started, gonna probably have to bite the bullet and call pier 53 :-( I left the ignition switch on after I showed Ryan the boat. I offered to take it fri am to mentor for him but the wind is pretty bad and I am a fair weather boater. We'll see. He'll probably dump her cheap if you want to take a stab at her!

Jim

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  11:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He already called me about it. We're gonna wait until we can get a 35 Montego instead. Figured we'd skip one step that way. Nothing against your boat...it's beautiful, just want something bigger.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  22:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RamSport47

He already called me about it. We're gonna wait until we can get a 35 Montego instead. Figured we'd skip one step that way. Nothing against your boat...it's beautiful, just want something bigger.

I'd agree with that decision, those are nice! I'd go for the santego! I'm liking it in area 51, may stay down here, it's really private. Stop by this weekend if you like, I'm almost swapped.

Jim

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  07:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do Jim. Working tomorrow morning, but should be there by 2:00ish. Are they making the 40ft side of 11 permanent again?

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  09:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RamSport47

Will do Jim. Working tomorrow morning, but should be there by 2:00ish. Are they making the 40ft side of 11 permanent again?

Don't think so, just where Mike offered to put me. I kind of like the openness of the boat show area. I need to get comfortable with the handling, and having 0 neighbors might be good!

Jim

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  06:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here are some pictures of her! Aside from the wobbly dinette table, a creek in the galley floor, my canvas needing some loving, and the center filler on the double berths not fitting right, I am VERY pleased!

Edited by - ChefJunk on Oct 04 2012 06:33:34

Previous Topic: Regal 3780/3880/4080 Clearance for Winter Storage Topic Next Topic: 2000 Regal 402 Commodore - reduced to $89,500  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.47 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com