BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 38 ]  [ Total: 40 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 Cat boat sailing
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Swabbing the Decks! Topic Next Topic: Is there a calculation to determine horsepower?  

Thudpucker

RO# 10503

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  11:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder how you go about hitting the beach with a Cat boat?
Do they have a Drop center board you can pull up and let the Sail power the boat to the Beach?

Somebody tell me a little about Cat-Boat sailing and operation.
Thanks
Conservative in every sense of the word.

Homeport: AL.

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  12:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cat boat or catamaran???

A cat boat is a monohull with the mast all the way forward at the bow. A catamaran has two hulls

Most small cat boats have center boards and can be operated in very shallow water or beaches. When approaching shallow water you raise the board , usually pivots on a pin. With the board up the boat will not point into the wind very well.

Catamarans (like hobie cats) usually have kick rudders which will pop up in shallow water when beaching. With te rudders up maneuvrability is restricted a bit. Some High performance catamarans have dagger boards which needs to pulled out before beaching.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Edited by - PascalG on Sep 24 2012 12:49:56

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Thudpucker

RO# 10503

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  00:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pascal, I meant Cat Sail boats.
Somebody was asking about a Cat boat going long distances over open Oceans.
I thought Cat boats were the boats used for close to shore, and as Ferries to larger ships, from the Beach.

Steering a Cat boat without the Drop board down, would be a major effort to keep the boat from capsizing.
But if that's all you had....?

I wonder about the development of that one forward mast? How'd that come about?

Conservative in every sense of the word.

Homeport: AL. Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  06:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cat boat were developed in NJ and Cape Cod in the 19th century as work boats. Having the mast forward gives a large open aera for fishing or cargo And Thanks to the wide beam they are also very stable. Having only a large main sail makes them simple to operate as well

Stability isn't affected by having the board up but it greatly reduces the ability to point upwind

On the downside they are not very fast and don't point as well but can out pace traditional sloops on a run (downwind)

We have a 12' cat boat that we sail a lot, it is extremely stable and comfortable thanks to it s beam. No other small boat comes close.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Swabbing the Decks! Topic Next Topic: Is there a calculation to determine horsepower?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com