BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: Bumpo64 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Winterizing & Springizing
 winterization oil change
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Best Oil Changer Topic Next Topic: Water Plug unable to be unscrewed  

dav

RO# 973

Posted - Oct 15 2012 :  11:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always changed my oil in the fall. My neighbor claims spring is better. He believes condensation is a bigger problem.
Does it matter?
What does everyone else do?

Homeport: indiana

TJ7777

RO# 27397

Posted - Oct 15 2012 :  11:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I own a '01 Wellcraft Martinique 2600
with the Bravo 3 outdrive 7.4 litre.
I will change my oil this year in the Spring because I believe in fresh oil that has not sat in a pan all winter. I think the Marina's do it in the fall because it's convienent to change the oil when they are winterizing your craft.

TJ

Better boating in the Finger Lakes!

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Oct 15 2012 :  12:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My opinion is that it is better to change in the fall and allow the engine to run on the new oil when you bring it around to be pulled. This way everything is bathed in clean oil instead of sitting all winter bathed in contaminated oil. Regardless of what I may hear about oil sitting, I don't believe (my opinion) that there is any difference between the new oil sitting in the pan or sitting in a bottle for the winter.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

maxumaa

RO# 24188

Posted - Oct 15 2012 :  12:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 454 Mercs. I go with fall for the oil change. Don't want to have any acids/contaminants sitting in the oil over an extended period of time.
Keith

Homeport: Chestertown,Md. Go to Top of Page

LouC

RO# 10314

Posted - Oct 15 2012 :  18:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Condensation I doubt would be anywhere near as bad as oil with the past season's wear particles, moisture, fuel dilution, etc. You buy a new car or truck, it could sit on the lot for 6 months easy before being sold with the same new oil in it. So the fall is the best time to change it. For outdrives, and outboard lower units, same thing, if water got in during the season it could crack the housing if it gets cold enough. Plus, if you got water in the lower unit, you will see that when changing the oil and get it fixed over the winter in the slow season, not in the spring rush.

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Quadradrive II

Homeport: Long Island NY Go to Top of Page

mikeg

RO# 4814

Posted - Nov 03 2012 :  16:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only put 40 hours on my volvo penta 8.1 this year.100 hours are recommended by volvo.Would you put off the change til next year?Would you use synthetic or regular oil?

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Riverratt

RO# 12842

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  07:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been running Mobil 1 in two different 7.4L powered boats since 1992. I use 15W-50 with a M1-302 filter (your filter would likely be different since you have a 8.1L engine). I would not bother changing oil with only 40 hours on it.

Edited by - Riverratt on Nov 05 2012 07:34:31

Homeport: St Charles, Missouri Go to Top of Page

Captain_Rick

RO# 33100

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  08:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Riverratt

I have been running Mobil 1 in two different 7.4L powered boats since 1992. I use 15W-50 with a M1-302 filter (your filter would likely be different since you have a 8.1L engine). I would not bother changing oil with only 40 hours on it.

With synthetic oil, I agree. But I know supposedly knowledgable people who use conventional oil, and change it in the fall and again in the spring with zero hours on it. Supposedly it deteriorates over time regardless of having not been "used."

Is there any truth to that?

Homeport: Deleted Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  09:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put 44 hours on my oil this season. Took samples and sent it our for analysis. The numbers came back fantastic, they recommend I put another 20 hours on the oil.

I'm not going to change mine this year.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Captain_Rick

RO# 33100

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  15:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

I put 44 hours on my oil this season. Took samples and sent it our for analysis. The numbers came back fantastic, they recommend I put another 20 hours on the oil.

I'm not going to change mine this year.

I assume you have diesels in your Trojan. For gas engines, the quantity of oil makes it just about as cheap to change the oil as to have it tested.

I'm running Amsoil synthetic in mine and will be going on my third season next year. At 6 gallons per engine it's a big savings to have it analyzed. And it's such an effort to get to my starboard oil filters that it's worth the price to me to use synthetic.

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  17:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only put 27 hours on this year. My new motor warranty says I have to do a change at 25 - 30 hours for the first one and recommends 75-100 after that. Since I am changing oil in one I might as well do both. I too am sending out samples of both motors, the transmissions and this year the generator. Just about 20 gallons of oil for the motors and generator, about 5 for the transmission. At $12/gal and another 60-100 in filters it ain't cheap. But having replaced a motor, it is definitely cheaper than that. Getting it tested in the fall and changing in the spring if necessary is a good alternative.

Captain Rick, I don't know what motors you have but have you thought about relocating the filters. Both of mine are on centerline. Very easy access.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD Go to Top of Page

Captain_Rick

RO# 33100

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  21:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmeirhofer

Captain Rick, I don't know what motors you have but have you thought about relocating the filters. Both of mine are on centerline. Very easy access.

Sure have. But the job pretty much as to be done in conjunction with an oil change. And as hard as it is to simply change the filters (all by feel - can't see them), I'd have to hire a contortionist to do it. If I only have to change oil every 3 to 4 years, it's probably not worth it.

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  21:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's about acid. You would rather that your engines did not sit in it over the winter if present.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

mikeg

RO# 4814

Posted - Nov 22 2012 :  21:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Follow up on my question about a volvo penta with 40 hours (now 48) on the oil.I already had the filter and mobil 1 15/50 was $22 for 5 qts at Wallmart so I gave it a quick oil change.The 48 hr oil was black and sludgy (yes it was changed las year by a mechanic).I was suprised it looked so dirty with so few hours.After seeing the condition I'll cont to throw in clean oil before storing the boat.Went synthetic due to advise on the net and volvo recommendations but the mobil 1 was affordable.2 five qt bottles at west marine would have been more than $90.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Best Oil Changer Topic Next Topic: Water Plug unable to be unscrewed  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com