BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 55 ]  [ Newest Member: stevelinn ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Removing side windows from 3807 Carver 1987 Topic Next Topic: New floor in my 440 Express
Page: of 25

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  14:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the carpet got pretty wet with Hurricane Sandy. I had a hatch in the Saloon that leaked. I guess 10" of rain in that short of time was a little more than it could shed. Next storm I will definetly tape plastic over that one. Anyway, since the carpet was wet and I am putting in wood floors this winter I pulled it out before it started to get moldy. For grins I laid down a box of the bamboo flooring I have to see how it would look. The carpet came up very easy. The wood part however is a worthy opponent. It is glued and nail to an underlayment that is scewed and glued to the sole.

Between this and winterizing I think I know what I will be doing for the next couple months of weekends.
John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Edited by - jmeirhofer on Jun 15 2013 21:14:45

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  18:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New stuff you put down looks terrific!!

Bob

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement
SSI Certified Instructor Level 1

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  20:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your floor under the carpet fiberglass? If so how are you installing the wood flooring?
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  20:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks bob. It is just saying in place right now. It ius going to take me a few weekends work to get the old floor up a the whole thing prepped. Also before I put it in permanently I am replacing the waste hose lines and putting a fresh coat of paint in the bilges. I may actually get to laying the floor around Christmas. :-)

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  20:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim - I am removing all of the carpet and wood laminate flooring in the galley. The new flooring will be glued down same as the wood in the galley.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  22:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I did mine, I made it so that I can get into all of the hatches, now I have tons of storage space under the floor.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  23:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is very smart of you to get that wet carpeting out of there as soon as possible! And the new wood looks really good. Good luck with your winter project......

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  05:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plan to do the same Mike. There is an incredible amount of storage down there.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  10:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

I realize the pix is merely an initial laydown, however you may want to consider staggering the end to end joints to give it a more finished look. Your call. I figured that one out the hard way!

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  16:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David - the boards come in three foot and 18" lengths so yes they will be staggered joints. Besides astetics staggering the joints, at least in a floating application, strengthens the whole layout. When a did my house in CA I knew absolutely nothing about putting down wood floors. 3000 sf later on a 2569 sf house I was even able to finish the stairs off. I learned a lot the hard way. That job was a floating floor except for the stairs. Much easier to correct mistakes. :-)

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Rick D

RO# 32381

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  21:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmeirhofer

John,
I already begun to pull up the carpet in mine as well for prepping for a laminate... probably Lonseal Teak and Holly.

What product did you lay down there? How thick is it... and is a vinyl or a true laminate?

Thanks,
--Rick

1997 Larson Cabrio 310

Homeport: Guilford, CT Go to Top of Page

mixman

RO# 25362

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  21:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor puppies. Now they'll slide all over the place!

--Kurt

20mph cruise at 5-7gph. Two hulls are better than one!
This is an ethanol-free boat.

Homeport: Chesapeake Bay Go to Top of Page

meide

RO# 13472

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  22:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

How will your new wood floor handle getting wet? Do you expect any problems with warping or delamination?

I have enough engineered wood flooring left over from reflooring our house that would be enough to do our boat. But I'm hestitant to use it if it will not handle getting wet.

Mike

Homeport: Pasadena MD Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  04:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stuff I am putting down is bamboo planks. It is strand bamboo so not really the same as laminate. I got it at costco. With out actually measuring it i would say it is about 1/4" thick. The section of wood floor that is in there now, and original to 1997, is a laminate. It is maybe 3/8" thick. It has held up just fine through the years. I can take a picture of the packaging next weekend when I return to the boat.

One way to tell if your laminate would hold up is it off a price and throw it in a bucket of water for a few days. Although that may be a bit overkill. If your getting the floor in your saloon that wet as to damage the laminate your doing something wrong and would already have destroyed the carpet.

Kurt - they will no doubt be a bit unsure of it to begin with but will get used to it. We will probably get a throw rug for the saloon anyway for our own comfort underfoot.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  07:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good what are you planning to use to edge the hatches?

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  08:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, the replacement of our carpet with allure flooring was a great improvement. We have 3 throw rugs, and our dog does just fine. You will love it.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  17:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think I am going to Dave. I know for sure the two center hatches for the waste tank and water tank I am not. On those two I am making the fit as tight as possible and may even screw them down as they are now. I have no intent to get back in them but do want to have access in case. Some countersunk screws and dowels should fix that. The one functioning hatch in the galley where there is wood now is not edged with anything either and has held up just fine. The fit is nice and snug. A counter sunk pull ring on each hatch to lift it should work for that.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  20:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I plan to pull my carpet for the winter but I will reinstall it when I'm done changing out my waste lines.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  04:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. I am changing the waste lines as well. Plan to use as much PVC as possible though. Like Mike, I also plan to make my outer hatches functional for the increased storage. I also am replacing the stairs with some solid food pieces. I have not come up with a good way to make the anti slip yet. But do have some time to figure it out. I am really anxious to get started on all of it. But these next couple of weekends will be spent doing a short haul for a bottom clean and new zincs as well as oil changes and winterizing. To top everything off I have a new chaftplotter to install, my wkndlass to rebuild and a wave wifi unit (thanks Billy) to install.

It is almost Thanksgiving and then only three months until March. I feel time is slipping away already on my to do list.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  19:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave or Mike or both, have you ever had water in your outboard hatches that you know of? I cannot see where water would get in there but iI am trying to figure it out for two reasons. The wife is concerned anything that is in there might get wet. I want to paint it with a couple coats of white paint. I can't see using $80 a gallon bilge paint if it is never wet. I figure a decent quality glossy white enamel from home depot should work fine.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  19:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a fresh water leak that ran through there but other then this there is now reason to have water above the level bilge area. I don't know that I would waste time painting.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  19:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I get a little water in my starboard aft compartment. I have no idea how it gets there. I put a perforated mat down that keeps everything above any water. It never gets more than about 1/8"

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  04:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Thast is kind of what I thought. The port side I have not been in yet but the starboard side is bone dry. It is fairly clean but kind of dull. I am just painting because I like bright and shiney.

Any idea where the water comes from? I do get water in my center bilge. I have pretty much narrowed it down to it has to be coming from the anchor locker. It only gets water when it rains and that is the only place water could get into the center bilge.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  10:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your flooring looks great and you will be very happy with it. I put in laminate floor in mine years ago. Wish I had some of the new flooring available now, anyway I have a little swelling in some places and may replace it one day and then make access to more storage. I trimed my hatch to the holding tank with a skinny aluminum molding due to the laminate edge. I can't belive you don't want easy access to that tank. I check the level often since I dont trust the sending unit and I have a fresh air pump for the tank I check(no chemicals, and it ventilate the bilge too) plus I spray the inside of the tank every so often.

Odvar

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

Homeport: meydenbauer bay, wash Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  12:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would still have access to the holding and water tank. Instead of lift u hatch it would be a screwed down hatch.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

btoran

RO# 19401

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  07:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have about 2.5k sq ft of bamboo in my house. it's a great material for flooring. very durable, and stays relatively clean. don't use cleaning products with wax in them. gotta keep panda bears away too.

Bruce Toran
1996 Carver 320 Voyager
-------------------------
"Don't Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head"

Homeport: Northport, NY Go to Top of Page

Starry Night

RO# 18025

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  20:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any idea where the water comes from? I do get water in my center bilge. I have pretty much narrowed it down to it has to be coming from the anchor locker. It only gets water when it rains and that is the only place water could get into the center bilge.

John,
Check the caulking around the wiring and hoses that enter through the fiberglass wall in the anchor locker. Most likely the water is running on them and then drops into the center bilge.
I think the condensation from both air conditioners do not drain in the center bilge.

Bob

Starry Night
2001 44' Trojan 440 Express Yacht
1985 21' Chris Craft Scorpion
2011 SeaDoo RXT 260 Jet Ski
1988 34' Carver Montego (Sold)

"Anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina and Yacht Club, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Nov 30 2012 :  04:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob - that is where I am thinking it comes from too. I know the AC drain into the shower sumps. I plan to install the mermaid condensator to eliminate this over winter.

When I was looking in the anchor locker I noticed there is a shelf. Water drains from the deck onto this shelf and is supposed to go out through the anchor roller hole. Well that would hold an inch or so of water before it drains. Which has rotted the board. Now rain water runs into the anchor locker and straight down into the bilge. Or so is my belief. I plan to rebuild the shelf in the spring and put a drain in it at the lowest point and connect it to an overboard discharge.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Dec 09 2012 :  07:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After 2 solid days of work. I finally have all the old flooring removed and can access all of the hatches. After debating how easy it would to get the old floor perfectly smooth vs. using a sub-floor I decided to use a sub-floor so there is a bit of the old sub floor I left. I went as far as I needed to access all of the hatches. Two hatches had a bit of sand in but completely dry and otherwise clean(starboard side). Hatch in the guest suite was always open so no suprise there. My center hatches over the water and waste tank are just dirty. Presumably from the water that accumulates in there dragging dirt in with it. I did find out where that comes from BTW. And the galley hatch which was damp and had mold or algea growing in it. All around nasty looking in there and needs some serious cleaning. Hard to tell how many times it has had water in it over the years. When I bought the boat the aft shower sump was not working. And the air was running when we went on the sea trial. That is where the saloon air drains to. So with it not working, I am sure water discharged out of it and into the bilge regularly. It appears there has been a few inches of water in there at times. And since owning the boat, I have no doubt forgot to leave it turned on occasionally. And for the center bilge. I found the water to be coming from the anchor locker. Besides water from bringing the chain in, when it rains or you wash the deck, water runs foward to the hatch for the windlass and locker. It goes in there and about half will drain out of the pulpit and the other into the locker. Since the bilge pump sits on a platform and not all the way into the vee, there is usually about 2-3" of water in there. I would think that the anchor locker would have an overboard drain.

Next steps are to replace all of the waste hoses with a combination of new hose and PVC. Clean and paint all of the bilges, as well as figure out how to stop the anchor locker from draining into the center bilge.

BTW - For those that think this site is dead. Try not logging in for a couple days. There has to be at lease 100 new posts since I last signed in Thursday.

Nasty bilge off Galley

This was a litte round hatch that would barely let you access the water pump. Under the carpet I found out it was actually a lot bigger. It will stay that way.

Looking forward - Nice big hatches that will be able to be used now for stowage.

Looking aft - You can see how badly pulling up the glued down sub-floor chewed up the wooden hatch cover. And where they made the cut mark prior to putting the carpet down.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Dec 09 2012 :  08:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John
Am I seeing correctly, is your water pump and sump under the floor in the galley? My is under the small hatch in the guest room.

Looks like you are making headway! I haven't done anything yet this year, I just haven't been motivated since the storm. I have to get into gear if I'm going to work on the projects I was hoping to get to.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Dec 09 2012 :  08:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave - It is in the guest suite. When you pull up the carpet you will find that the small hatch is actually cut into a larger hatch. I intend to leave it as a larger hatch for easier access.

I have to get rolling on this. To many projects that need doing this winter and it is half over all ready. January will almost assuredly be to cold to do anything outside. Next weekend we are heading up to your neck of the woods to see the Nutcracker at the Lincoln Center. Taking the train up Saturday afternoon and back home Sunday morning. If the wife had more time off we would stay a couple days so we could meet up with and a few others in the area. Next thing you know it will be February and in March I dewinterize 8-)

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

kthoennes

RO# 32590

Posted - Dec 09 2012 :  11:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean about winter projects. I created a separate section on my to-do list for winter projects. In August or September I think to myself when there's snow on the ground outside I'll have endless hours available in the workshop for those deferred projects. Never seems to work out that way, time flies 365 days a year.

1983 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin "CourtShip"

Homeport: Yankton, South Dakota Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Dec 09 2012 :  12:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John in looking again I understand, I saw the cabinets and it looked like the galley. So what is under the galley floor? send or post a picture if you can. I usually have a 50 amp outlet right behind my boat but due to the storm this is not available making power and winter projects that much more difficult. Being I have repairs to make I may simply put off the hoses for Spring or maybe even an in water repair. The good news is my back has been doing much better so this may be something I can tackle myself. I would just hate to start and run into problems once I'm in the water I don't like much downtime!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Dec 09 2012 :  12:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first picture of the new ones is the bilge area in front of the galley. Like I had said, it has had up to three inches of water in it before mist likely from the inoperative shower sump or since replacing it me forgetting to leave it turned on when running the AC. As dirty as this one is, I imagine the one behind the sump under the port fuel tank and the one forward of this under the master SR closet is as bad.

It helps that I am still in my slip. We have had a very mild winter so far. Only a few overnights in the mid thirties. I would not have had to winterize yet.

I will say my back is pretty sore after two 10+ hour days. And I am not really looking forward to doing the waste lines weekend after next but I look at it this way, colder means less stinky. Once the bilges are cleaned and the waste lines are done I can start laying in the sub floor.

A few other things I am going to do since everything is apart and before I put the floor in;
Mermaid condensators
HDMI cables from multimedia center to both televisions
Finish out the cupboard where the washer was with cedar
Refinish the inside of the window cubby holes
Add water filtration in the bilge under the stairs where it exits the tank and goes to the pump
Make a door and finish out the cupboard where the old held went to use for storage
Remove MSR held, make a door and install in led tele. And put a small safe in the back of that

Then I can finally lay in the new floor. I would,d like to take out the vanity too as it is just a space hog for us and we could use that space better. But I have not decided on that yet.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

rythmstrat

RO# 32479

Posted - Dec 09 2012 :  19:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great project, with a big payoff for next season! Good luck and keep taking pics for us!

Scott.
Moose Deer Point Marina
'90 Carver Santego DC 3897
2001 Seadoo LRV.

Homeport: Twelve Mile Bay, Georgian Bay, Ontario Go to Top of Page

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  10:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate water inside the boat. Water going into the anchore locker from washing and the anchore was a pain until I made a stainless steel shield that sends the water out under the chain. I also built up the bottom of the chain locker so the water can drain out the weep hole. I just now replaced a T in the hotwater system that had a crack in it. When I replaced the fresh waterpump, the quiet variable speed kind, instruction said disconnect the expansion tank, I hope that does not make the pressure build too high in the water system. If I could keep the water out of the bilge in the garage I would be happier:)
The airpump for the holding tank moves any moist and stinky air out of the main bilge area.

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  11:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by odvar

I hate water inside the boat. Water going into the anchore locker from washing and the anchore was a pain until I made a stainless steel shield that sends the water out under the chain. I also built up the bottom of the chain locker so the water can drain out the weep hole.

Can you post pictures of it?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  11:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a good solution to the anchor locker issue. Do you have any photos?

For the garage I plan on putting a thin automotive style gasket on the back side of the hatch. Everytime it rains or I wash the boat the water just runs in there. That should seal out a majority of it. Mine has had years of abuse from the water as well. That is a warmer weather job I will tackle in the early summer. Replacing the wood in there and cleaning that area up.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  18:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I looked in the owners manual I have and it showed a thru hull on each side of the anchor locker. I then compared that with some photos and I do not see a single anchor locker drain. I am going to pull the chain out next weekend and see if I can figure it out. My issue may be the lack of drain for the anchor locker itself.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  20:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a small drain hole on both sides the don't drain well but they drain. I can't be sure that they weren't added.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Dec 14 2012 :  10:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not easy to get a shot of the drain, but is just bent ss sheetmetal from the edge of the cutout down to the ss chanel for the chain roler. Caulked in place and some foam stripps around the opening to chanel the water to it. As you can see I sdded a roler so the chain dont drag. I have weep holes in the chain locker. On the garage lidd I put weather stripping on the back of the upper part and some foam door weather stripping on the back edge of the main lidd, it helps. Homedepot, comes brown or white.

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  06:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am making progress. I have the waste lines in the cabin replaced. Still need to do the pump out line and the vent line.

I still used small sections of hose to make the final connections to the vacuflush

15 years of ?? It does wash off pretty easy though.

Oddly enough, through all of this, once the hoses were removed from the cabin it did not smell.

The run from the engine room bilge to the hole in front of the tank is 8.5 feet. The opening just in front of the tank is the only place I can see it. At least not without removing the fuel tanks. What has been obvious from the start of this project is that they never thought of what to do in the event it needs replacing. In order to put pipe in I have to run it from the engine room bilge. That bilge is 9 feet long. So it will require removal of the batteries which are in the way of putting pipe in. After that it is a piece of cake.

The next couple of weekends my card is full of other stuff so I have time to rest my arms up before going at it some more.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  07:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two hoses run through that area being I have two tanks and both of them will be a bitch to replace! My batteries are on the other side of my port motor so the entire center is open which should help but it is still going to be a major pita.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  09:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would connect the two tanks with a y and then one line through the black hole. Speaking of tanks. My waste tank is an inch wider than the hole. Only way it is ever coming out is with a saw.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  15:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got this done today.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  17:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! let me know how you make out with replacing the centerline hose I'm not looking forward to this I expect that to be the hardest part!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

alexander38

RO# 31123

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  17:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lookin' good....Zoomie....:P

Member VYC

Homeport: va. Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  18:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to do that today but it was just to cold. If my batteries were not in the way it would not be that hard, IMO. Having to pull two 8d batts and unbolt the boxes, cables and all that. Yanking it out will be easy once everything is out of the way.

I was looking in my anchor locker today as well trying to determine where the water goes from there. I figured there was a overboard drain or something. I couldn't find anything except an approx 3/4 inch drain into the center bilge. That explains were the rain water comes from. I plan to connect a hose to discharge side in the bilge and from there to my shower sump so it pumps overboard. I am also going to use odvars example above to keep most of it out in the firs place.

One other thing I did today was the vent line it was a flexible line that had an inside diameter about the size of a bic pen. It is now rigid 3/4" PVC. Should improve the venting dramatically. There is no filter on it now either.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  19:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My concern is getting the old hose out and being able to line up the new pipe in the holes they are real tight and the old hose looks like it has been silicone in place.
I installed vent filter(s) in the anchor locker fits perfect there and took all of ten minutes to install each. Being I have two tanks I have two vents and two filters as well.
If your hose pulls out fairly easily I will try to do mine as well. I really can't combine the two tanks I have a Y valve in the engine room to switch between tanks when I pump out. If I were to combine them it would only pump until one of the tanks was empty and then it would suck air and I would loose pressure.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Dec 31 2012 :  06:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having to go into the engine room each pump out and select which tank to empty would suck. Pun intended. Looking at the photo you posted, it seems you could turn the aft tank 180* and connect the two discharge ports together with a straight piece of PVC. You can then put a T in the middle and run one waste line. You would also have to put a 1 3/4" hole in the bulkhead between them but that would be easy. As for putting the new line through there, the engine room bulkhead is the only one you have to pass through. As you may have noticed, the others do not go to the very bottom of the bilge. Have you ever measured your tanks. They look to be the same size as my waste tank. 23x23x36. That is about 84 gallons(divide the measurement in inches by 231). Per tank. Maybe you really only need one and you can have the rest of the center bilge for storage.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Dec 31 2012 :  07:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Got this done today.

What kind of flooring is that? Is it glued down? If not, does it move around?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Page: of 25 Previous Topic: Removing side windows from 3807 Carver 1987 Topic Next Topic: New floor in my 440 Express  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com