BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: luna sea ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New to forum - Just purchased a 2000 440 Trojan Topic Next Topic: Post your Carver pictures!!!
Page: of 25

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  07:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering how the carbon fiber would hold up to sun being unpainted. I will eventually be re-doing mine and this is good info to have. What don't you like about the wheel? It should be a shaft with key. I would think that in most case the shaft is a standard size. I actually like this one quite a bit. Maybe not $500 worth though.

http://www.tackledirect.com/edson-1730st-14-5-75t-ss-dual-spoke-sport-power-wheel.html

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  22:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wheel is starting to chip and peal on the collar. As for the size I'm assuming it is a 3/4" shaft and a 3/16 key but not really sure and would hate to order something that doesn't fit.

I have looked at many wheel and none are nearly as expensive as the one you picked out.

Something simply but new and fresh looking maybe stainless but I'm open to anything that looks nice.

http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-57659-seasense-ss-steering-wheel-15-inch-flat-50091175.aspx

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  11:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called today to check on my seats and I was told they are ready when I am, I wish I was splashing next week!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  12:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish you were splashing next week to Dave!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the seats.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  23:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was splashing on the highway all the way to Baltimore. Staying here for the night and tomorrow we keep going towards NC, Friday FL.

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 13 2014 :  09:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While this is probably not a specific Trojan problem I thought I would bring it up for everyone to check if they have not before. I was talking to a friend this morning about spring projects to do. He has a 96 440. He said his major project is to pull his rudders and rebed the mounting bolts. He was checking them at haul out for the winter and noticed that one was loose so he checked the other one. The other one was not loose but the head was missing from one of the bolts that go into the bottom of the hull and hold the rudder. I check mine each haul out to see if they are loose and have not had a loose one yet. But I have never really looked at the bolt head to see if they are all there. Something I will be checking when I get pulled in April. I may just pull, inspect and rebed them on GP. For those of us that always have water in our bilge no matter what we do, this could be an entry point.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Feb 13 2014 :  18:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seem like a common problem, I had an issue with one of my rudders so I opened all the boots, some were very lose. Got to redo the all the mounting bolts.

GeeVeeBee

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 13 2014 :  18:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced all the mounting hardware last year including the bushings which I had to have made, they seem perfect now. I have never had a problem more of preventative after Sandy the insurance adjuster agreed it would be a good idea to do an R&R to ensure everything was in good shape before launching, the best part was they paid!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 14 2014 :  04:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like I have another item to add to my list for this spring.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 14 2014 :  07:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too, looks like I won't be in the water until June...

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 14 2014 :  21:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last one in is a rotten egg:)

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 16 2014 :  06:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha. I am already in. Although I did have to shovel snow off to get on board and check things out yesterday. I as hoping to start working on things by the 1st of March. Looks like I will barely de-winterize by April now.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 16 2014 :  08:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to believe March is just around the corner! It's going to be a long Spring I'm not sure when I'm going to get started this year. I hoping things will start warming up soon and this Winter will become just a bad memory.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 16 2014 :  08:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Kidding Dave. Last year doing the floors I spent Saturday nights on the boat until about mid December and started again around the beginning of Feb. And even without coming out of the water except to wash and put on new zincs I still was not done until May. I may have to cut back on the number of projects I intend to do and just stick with the below the water line stuff this year or I won't be done until 4th of July. :(

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  06:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey II

Hard to believe March is just around the corner! It's going to be a long Spring I'm not sure when I'm going to get started this year. I hoping things will start warming up soon and this Winter will become just a bad memory.

Hard to believe April is just around the corner and I have another 8" of snow to shovel this morning.

I was at the boat yesterday and had it a nice and toasty 68 degrees inside. I started pulling panels to run my HDMI cable and Cat 5 cable to the television. Left the shrink wrap on though.

I made a list of the basic stuff that needs done to dewinterize. I may or may not get anything else on my list done this year. We plan to put our boat up for sale in the next month pending a possible move back to California. And after this winter BS I just do not have the energy to do a bunch of projects.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  06:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sorry to here of your plan to sell. I know how much effort and pride you have taken with the projects you have done! I'm hope someone buying your boat will recognize and appreciate all you have done. I will miss your contributions to this thread:) Best of luck with all of your future life's endeavors.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  07:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very sorry to here of your plan to sell. I know how much effort and pride you have taken with the projects you have done! I'm hope someone buying your boat will recognize and appreciate all you have done. I will miss your contributions to this thread:) Best of luck with all of your future life's endeavors.

Dave perhaps I missed the post, who is selling?
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  07:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look three posts up:) John is looking to list his boat due to a possible relocation.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  08:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. A lot of blood and sweat went into the transformation of Miss Gnomie.

It's true Bill. I will be listing it (at the rate winter is going) probably early May. I am one of three being considered for a promotion back in CA that would also make a significant contribution to my retirement. Since I can not plan on my military retirement, or military medical benefits and social security I have decided that if it comes to me I will take it. I would actually jump two positions in my chain and get the first pay raise in 5 years. Even if I do not get that one, the other two being considered are also above me and their bosses have made it known that I am welcome to either position if not selected for the first one. That promotion I would have to think about. With the economy staying the way it has been the last 5 years I just do not see any improvement any time soon. So I need to make some sort of back up plan for the future.

I briefly looked into shipping the boat to CA and at about $25k it is just to expensive. If we do move we will get something else once settled in and this one is sold. If we do not move and have not sold we will likely take this one off the market.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  08:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John I understand good luck with your promotion!
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  08:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, good luck in whatever direction life takes you (even if it IS to California). We could use another Trojan on the Hudson, anyone up here interested???

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  08:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hogan they can wait a few years for mine, when I buy Hanks:)

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  09:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, are you sure you want to go:

A 4.7-magnitude earthquake struck Los Angeles just before 6:30 a.m. local time, according to multiple media reports. There was no immediate word on damage or injuries:

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  09:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They don't even get out of bed for anything less than 5.5

I will be in NorCal anyway. I may have to stop talking crap about the Tesla so I can get on GetAKeys good side in the event I need a boat ride :)

I won't find out until the end of September or the beginning of October what direction we will be going. We are just moving to a new slip with really good dock mates so it will be sad to have to give that up. I plan to just enjoy the heck out of summer, once it finally gets here.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

mixman

RO# 25362

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  10:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regardless of what the near-term future holds for John, BE has made an interesting connection. John and I have boated together, he's been to my house for Thanksgiving the other year, and for the next few months he'll have his boat right next to mine. He'll be on my port side and hopefully it'll stop snowing by then (this capture is from this morning).

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

rythmstrat

RO# 32479

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  10:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John...sorry to hear you are selling. Although we don't know each other, I like the Trojan 440 model, and I've enjoyed reading about your issues, upgrades and plans for your boat.
Best of luck, and enjoy whatever time you get with her this season, if it ever starts!

Scott.
Moose Deer Point Marina
'90 Carver Santego DC 3897
2001 Seadoo LRV.

Homeport: Twelve Mile Bay, Georgian Bay, Ontario Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  13:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kurt. Looking forward to spending the summer "down there" and getting some good boating in. Since I only have a one in three chance of definitely going back to CA I am not holding my breath. Like I said, if we don't go, we will be back again next year doing the same thing unless by some strange occurrence the boat sells that quickly and we don't have something smaller and trailer-able such as a MC30, lol.

Scott, I do have a few more things planned for the the spring/summer if it ever gets here. Things I do need to get done before I sell it. For instance. I have had a cockpit refer in the back seat of my truck for a month now.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

mixman

RO# 25362

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  13:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmeirhofer

I have had a cockpit refer in the back seat of my truck for a month now.

And now you'll be waiting on the correct tide for loading things on :-)

(note: we normally only have about a 2-foot change between tides)

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  14:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually with the dock on my starboard side it will be fairly easy. At low tide I can enter through the window on the gunnel of that side which has a step down inside. At high tide I can enter off the swim platform. I hope to have everything on the boat that needs to be on the boat next weekend though. Depends on if it rains or snows again on Wednesday I guess.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  05:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What have I missed yesterday! I wish you all the best John, hope you get exactly what you want and move forward!

GeeVeeBee

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  11:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John
I'm said to see you may sell your 440 and leave what you started here. All the 440 guys, and others, have learned alot and have had fun here.
I hear you about the shipping cost, I looked at several Trojans on the east coast but gave up due too shipping cost. Hovever we do have some 440 on the west coast:-) and you can boat year round!
Wish you and your fam all the best.

Odvar

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

Homeport: meydenbauer bay, wash Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  18:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Odvar. I fully expect all of the Trojan owners here to keep this thread going. Lol. And I am making contributing to this thread a condition of sale hahaha

I did talk to the broker that is going to list it. We decided on May 1st as I still have a great deal to do before it is ready to show. So if anyone is reading this and looking for a Trojan express there is an opportunity to save significantly before I list it.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  19:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You better not give it away and devalue all of our boats:)

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

rythmstrat

RO# 32479

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  23:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Odvar. I fully expect all of the Trojan owners here to keep this thread going. Lol. And I am making contributing to this thread a condition of sale hahaha

I did talk to the broker that is going to list it. We decided on May 1st as I still have a great deal to do before it is ready to show. So if anyone is reading this and looking for a Trojan express there is an opportunity to save significantly before I list it.

So, John...what's yr $$ number? I have to admit that as soon as I read you were selling, I went on YachtWorld.
Feel free to PM me, or email...
srhorslin at rogers dot com.

Scott.
Moose Deer Point Marina
2001 Seadoo LRV.

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 20 2014 :  04:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott. Just sent you a PM. Also just noticed the email addy so will send you something to that as well once my computer is up and running

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

rythmstrat

RO# 32479

Posted - Mar 20 2014 :  08:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Scott. Just sent you a PM. Also just noticed the email addy so will send you something to that as well once my computer is up and running

Thx John...PM and email rec'd, reply sent.

Scott.
Moose Deer Point Marina
2001 Seadoo LRV.

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  09:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put together a bit of a blog to aid in the sale of our boat. I wanted to have a better blog by now but it just keeps on snowing. So far we have about a 1/2" today hopefully this will be the last of it. By the end of the month I will have everything cleaned and an actual photo blog as well.

http://trojan440.blogspot.com/

Comments and suggestions are welcome of course.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  09:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, I see you mention rebuilding engine synchronizer, what is wrong with yours?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  09:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike. I have no idea. You would think something so simple would be easy to figure out. Anyway, when I engage the port motor takes off, rev wise. At first I thought it was a faulty tack cable but that turned out not to be it. I spoke with Glendening and ask them. They said it could be the solenoid. I don't want to just buy a bunch of parts until it works again. I was going to try investigating it more this spring but spring has not come yet. LoL.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  10:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that is not listed there is the cockpit seat bottom upholstery. We are getting that done sometime in the next few weeks as well.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  18:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope to be getting my seating back real soon too! At the moment I have nothing. When I'm ready to launch I will make an appointment to have it all installed. I hope they did a nice job!!!!!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  18:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You better not give it away and devalue all of our boats:)

So much for that hope...

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  20:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What did I miss did John give away his boat?

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  21:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have put together a bit of a blog to aid in the sale of our boat. I wanted to have a better blog by now but it just keeps on snowing. So far we have about a 1/2" today hopefully this will be the last of it. By the end of the month I will have everything cleaned and an actual photo blog as well.

http://trojan440.blogspot.com/

Comments and suggestions are welcome of course.

If I find a buyer do I get some of those steaks as commission?

GeeVeeBee

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  05:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice blog good luck!

One question what size TV did you install in the salon? I need to replace mine again both of my TVs have issues. I like the way your seems to cover the entire space. I have been looking but nothing is square anymore so they are either too wide or too short.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  06:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, mine fits perfectly, IF I ever uncover the boat, I'll measure it and let you know what size it is.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  06:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, it is a 25" Vizio. However, the new 32" Vizio will cover the space better. I look at the Vizio as an almost disposable television since they are so cheap. Although the one I have works good and is now three years old. As you might see there is a gap of about 2" at the bottom. Which has worked out great for the DVD player to be directly underneath. Last weekend I ran two HDMI cables from the Television to the entertainment console so I could move the DVD player there and connect it directly to the router for streaming video from Netflix, Fios and Amazon. Also Pandora. If I have time this spring I am going to connect the audio out to my Stereo system aux in as well. I have Sirius on the boat but actually prefer Pandora.

Since I now have that space open I want to put a door up behind the television. When I replaced the refrigerator, my wife liked it better without the white doors so I left them off. And it helps with ventilation and cooling of the refer compressor anyway. As it turns out the door for the freezer is exactly the same size as the space above. I will likely put that door on there and but the tele mount on it. It will create another storage space for stuff.

On a side note, one of my wife's complaints while cooking is that there is no exhaust for steam or smoke from the stove. And occasionally it would cause the smoke alarm to go off. While I was running the cable I accidentally pulled loose the exhaust hose for the bathroom. It gave me an idea so I put the end of the hose near vent by the stove and turned it on. Then lit a piece of tissue on fire in a pan on the stove. It sucked the smoke out completely with it. Needless to say I am looking for a t- that I can put on it now. If I can find one I will also add a switch in the galley to turn it on and off with.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  06:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen - If you find a buyer I will personally come to your boat and cook them for you. lol

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  07:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My plan is to pull the cover off this weekend:)
I called in an order with H.O.Penn yesterday I was surprised to hear the total was about $1100 in routine maintenance parts. I ordered spare filters all new nuts and the pencil zincs, air cleaners, impellers seals and new covers, belts, coolant caps (mine were leaking), I must be forgetting something because this doesn't sound like enough stuff for that price! I should be good for a while. I plan to change the transmission oil again this season but I think I will wait until I can use it and get it warmed up before draining. I don't have a lot of projects before I can launch mostly just cleaning and bottom paint and I may only touch up the bottom this year.

It looks like we are getting close, I know I'm starting to get the itch!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  07:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, try "Filterbarn" for your filters. Their prices are the lowest I've found. Why are you replacing all of your "nuts"?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Page: of 25 Previous Topic: New to forum - Just purchased a 2000 440 Trojan Topic Next Topic: Post your Carver pictures!!!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 1.98 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com